3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2014 12:11 PM by Lisa_811

Can InDesign spell check ignore numbers like CS3 did?

Lisa_811

We just upgraded from InDesign CS3 to InDesign CS5.5.

(Without getting into detail, we can't upgrade further than 5.5 so please don't suggest that.)

We have 3500+ existing documents, 17 users without admin privileges. All of these documents contain many part numbers. With CS3, spell check never stopped on part numbers...in CS5.5 it does.

I've read about the GREP character style solution, but that's not very practical for us if I understand it correctly. I can't imagine having to update styles and create a new character style and apply it to our 3500 documents.

Is that really my only option? There is no way for it to act like InDesign CS3 did and ignore numbers?

Another reason I don't like the GREP solution: That will work for part numbers in a table (using that paragraph style), but what about a part number that happens to be mentioned in our copy, or in a caption?

I appreciate any insight anyone can offer.

Lisa

• 1. Re: Can InDesign spell check ignore numbers like CS3 did?
          Lisa_811 Level 1

Another reason the GREP solution is not great: Yes, I can get it to work for my "Part Number" paragraph style (once I get the new character style and revised paragraph style into every single document). But spell check still stops on random things in the table that uses our basic "Table body" style. Don't want "no language" on that style.

• 2. Re: Can InDesign spell check ignore numbers like CS3 did?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can use find/change to assign no language to part numbers as you open the older files to work on them. What do your part numbers look like?

• 3. Re: Can InDesign spell check ignore numbers like CS3 did?
              Lisa_811 Level 1

Thanks for your response, Peter. We unfortunately have several different possibilities for part number format...(1234A12; 12345B12; etc.). I could make some find/change queries for them (I already have some scripts that need to recognize part numbers, so I've dealt with that before). However, it goes beyond part number I'm realizing. We may have "...the 12-ft. cord..." in copy. Or "303SS..." in a table subhead. And many, many other letter/number combinations.

The more I read, other than getting a third-party plugin, I think my only option is to add the GREP style to every single one of our paragraph styles and have the users update their styles every time they open a document.