5 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2014 12:26 PM by Tim Kurkoski

mac pro HDMI video preview goes yellow solid and turns off by itself often

soobba

I work with 2 monitors. main monitor is Apple thunderbolt cinema display 27", and second monitor is LG HD tv connected through HDMI of MacPro.

when I use aftereffect, I use my LG TV as video preview, and it goes yellow solid and turns off itself very often.

I use Final Cut Pro X and, davinci 10 lite with LG TV also, but it works well in these condition.

It makes trouble with aftereffects only.

I hope it can be solved.

thank you

• 1. Re: mac pro HDMI video preview goes yellow solid and turns off by itself often
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What exact version number of After Effects? (Down to the decimal points.)

How are you sending the signal from AE to the screen? Is it just set up as a second monitor, or do you have it set up as a video preview monitor? And, if so, what settings are you using to do that?

• 2. Re: mac pro HDMI video preview goes yellow solid and turns off by itself often
            soobba Level 1

my After Effects is 12.2.1.5

and my setting is

스크린샷 2014-05-29 오전 7.44.57.png

I think, it's not wrong with this setting.

thank you

• 3. Re: mac pro HDMI video preview goes yellow solid and turns off by itself often
              Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

soobba, can you be more specific about the problem? Does preview on the LG monitor work at all? When does it go yellow? When does it turn off?

When you have the problem, if you open Activity Monitor, is Adobe QT32 Server running?

Do you have Premiere Pro installed? Does it have the same problem when previewing to the LG monitor?

In After Effects CC (12.x) and earlier, this video preview functionality by an Apple QuickTime component (DesktopVideoOut.component in Library/QuickTime), which After Effects sees and loads the same as it would for an AJA, Blackmagic or other video device. This functionality has become, unfortunately, unstable in After Effects CC (12.x). This is why we are replacing the QuickTime-based video preview functionality with Mercury Transmit in the next release of After Effects CC.

I suspect that Final Cut Pro X and DaVinci Resolve are, like Premiere Pro and the next release of After Effects, not using the QuickTime-based video preview, which is an old and now deprecated Mac OS API. You could test this by removing the DesktopVideoOut.component file from the Library/QuickTime folder and then verifying that video preview continues to work in those applications. That's a worthy troubleshooting step but only serves to validate a point I'm trying to make.

I connected a Cinema HD display to my MacBook Pro and tested video preview with the DesktopVideoOut.component, the same configuration you are using other than I was using the MacBook's built-in display for preview. I did not experience any problems.

My suspicion is that the problem is one of the following:

- Adobe QT32 Server is crashing. There are many reasons this could happen. You can try some general QuickTime troubleshooting.

- Another QuickTime component is interfering. This could be a variation of the other problems we have seen with the QuickTime video preview API. Try removing the other QuickTime component files from Library/QuickTime and see if that affects the problem.

- The DesktopVideoOut.component is conflicting with your video card in some way. This is purely speculation, and I don't have any troubleshooting to recommend that would validate or help with this possibility.

Ultimately, the problem you're experiencing will likely be solved by the next release of After Effects CC. You can definitively answer that question by testing the current version of Premiere Pro CC on your computer, which uses the same Mercury Transmit video preview components.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: mac pro HDMI video preview goes yellow solid and turns off by itself often
                soobba Level 1

thank you, tim.

English is not my first language. so I'm not sure I fully understand with this.

I will show you my full hardware setting

Screen Shot 2014-05-29 at 10.52.30 AM.png

* Does preview on the LG monitor work at all? When does it go yellow? When does it turn off?

- it works initially. A few minutes after I start making RAM preview, yellow screen appear(the RAM preview keeps going anyway),

if I stop the video preview(command + /), and restart video preview, it turns on normal,

but if I don't stop video preview, 10 or 20 seconds later it turns off by itself, and all the options in 'Output Device' disappear except 'Computer Monitor Only', so I should restart After Effects to turn on video preview.

* When you have the problem, if you open Activity Monitor, is Adobe QT32 Server running?

- yes, it(it appears red characters, is it normal?) looks running

* Do you have Premiere Pro installed? Does it have the same problem when previewing to the LG monitor?

- no, Premiere Pro works well.

- I tried to remove Blackmagic Codec.component , but it didn't solve my problem

let me know if you need more information about this.

thank you again.

• 5. Re: mac pro HDMI video preview goes yellow solid and turns off by itself often
                  Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

soobba,

Based on your description, it appears that you're experiencing a variant on the Adobe QT32 Server crashes that have been occurring with After Effects CC (12.x). The key evidence here is that after the problem begins, Video Preview preferences only shows Computer Monitor Only.

You can also verify this by looking for Adobe QT32 Server crash logs in your /Users/username/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports folder after the problem occurs.

The troubleshooting steps I linked to may help you to isolate or reduce the frequency of the problem:

http://bit.ly/QT_AE_CC_12

http://adobe.ly/Uc4dtH

As mentioned in my last post, the real fix for this problem is coming in the next release of After Effects CC. There will be a public event on June 18 that covers all of the new features in the next release of Creative Cloud:

https://creativecloud.adobeevents.com/ccnext/