7 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2014 8:03 AM by A.T. Romano

Playback so jerky on Premier Elements 11 I can't edit. Urgent help required.

Hildergard

My clips are from a Panasonic HC V700 camera filmed at 1080p 50fps

Project settings are PAL 1080p 50fps

There is no orange line above the timeline - only a small green section where I added a transition and rendered - so I assume the project setting match the properties of the clips.

My laptop details are:

Acer Aspire 5742Z

Intel (R) Pentium (R) CPU P6200 @ 2.13GHz

Installed memory RAM 4GB

System Type 64 Bit Operating System

I'm using Windows 7

I save projects and files onto an external hard drive - a Hitachi Touro Mobile 3.0 1TB

I've defragged my laptop hard drive but that hasn't helped. I've updated the audio, video, graphics drivers but that hasn't made a difference either.  Is it likely to be the lack of RAM?

I have to have this video (approx 5 mins but with complex green screen stuff in it so a few layers of video going on) edited and uploaded to Vimeo by midnight on Sat 31st May. I've never had this issue before with the same camera and same settings etc. There's been some jerkiness but not so bad I can't see to edit properly.

Any help gratefully accepted.

ETA - I saved the minute long section I've done as a quicktime movie and it played back fine on the laptop.

• 1. Re: Playback so jerky on Premier Elements 11 I can't edit. Urgent help required.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jerky or slow playback http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1071217

4Gig of ram for Windows and program is BARELY enough for editing

Is your external drive USB3 or eSata or Firewire?

That Pentium CPU is weak for editing HiDef

Does your laptop have a 7200rpm hard drive, or 5400rpm?

>saved the minute long section I've done as a quicktime movie and it played back fine on the laptop

Editing and playback are not at all the same

• 2. Re: Playback so jerky on Premier Elements 11 I can't edit. Urgent help required.
            Jerry Miller

You have a RAM problem ---- graphics use up a lot of RAM --- upgrade to 6 Gigs minimum and your problem will go away!

• 3. Re: Playback so jerky on Premier Elements 11 I can't edit. Urgent help required.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hildergard

Since you say that this is a "it worked before but not now" problem, I tend not to buy into the RAM upgrade with more details. Are you getting low memory messages from the program? Although I would agree that you would be expected to get better performance with 8 GB instead of 4 GB installed RAM, I do not see where that is the key if this all worked before. But, did it really? Let us explore that.

1. Are the files involved the same format and duration as the ones before that worked for you?

In this regard, do you have any of these older files around so that you can compare the old and current playback in the same project?

2. Have you cleaned out pile up of preview files, conformed audio, and conformed video files along with your other troubleshooting?

Preview Files...Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder, by default Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0

Conformed Audio...Media Cache Files Folder, by default Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0

Conformed Video...See Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and the Clean button in the Media Cache Database area.

Are the Scratch Files all pointed to a location with enough free hard drive space to accept program files that are automatically generated to the designated location. See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.

Please review and consider. If any questions please do not hesitate to ask or to ask for clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Playback so jerky on Premier Elements 11 I can't edit. Urgent help required.
                Hildergard Level 1

Thanks everyone. I've tried all the things you suggest A.T and although everything seems a bit faster the footage is still jerky. It's a shame as it looks great apart from that. What I've done to tide me over is start a new project with the settings HD 1080i 25fps. It's taking a few minutes to render each clip and the quality isn't as good as before but at least it's not jerking around. I ran task manager while I was playing one of the clips in the time line and it peaked at 89 on the CPU so I guess it's just too much for my inadequate processor. I'm going to get a new laptop so I'll probably start a new thread about that if that's appropriate.

eta - the external hd is USB and the disk is 5400 rpm

To add (again)  - A.T I imported a different bit of footage from the same camera/card but a different project and the old footage is 25fps where the new footage is 50fps. I have no idea what could have happened as the settings on the camera only give an option for 50fps

• 5. Re: Playback so jerky on Premier Elements 11 I can't edit. Urgent help required.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hildergard

Some thoughts...

If you video source for the project is 1080p50 (1920 x 1080 @ 50 progressive frames per second), then make sure that the project preset is set a

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD1080p50

If you are allowing the program to do an automatic project set, the check to determine what it is setting. See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Rate, and Pixel Aspect Ratio readings (even if the fields appear to be grayed out). For that project preset, the Project Settings there should read as follows

1080p50ps.JPG

If you see Editing Mode = 1080i, then start a new project, set the project preset manually to the 1080p50 project preset, and then import your 1080p50 into the project. The how to for setting the project preset manually is described toward the bottom of the following

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

With your video formats, double check what you have. Could there be any confusion between 50p and 50i. Just in case note...when you see 50p, that represents 50 progressive frames per second. When you see 50i, that represents 50 fields per second which is the counterpart of 25 interlaced frames per second.

Please check out the above so that we can rule those factors in the matter that we seek to resolve.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 6. Re: Playback so jerky on Premier Elements 11 I can't edit. Urgent help required.
                    Hildergard Level 1

Hi the files are definitely 50p not 50i.

I had the project settings the way you describe and that's when the problems start. My laptop just can't handle it. Now I've used a project setting at 25fps it's not juddering - though there is a definite loss of quality.

• 7. Re: Playback so jerky on Premier Elements 11 I can't edit. Urgent help required.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hildergard

When you had the project preset at

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p50

I am assuming that you confirmed that with Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

In that case, when you first dragged your 1080p50 from Project Assets to the Timeline, did you have an orange line over that content? Or, was there no colored line at all? I believe your answer was no colored line when that 1080p50 was dragged to the Timeline.

What videos are you using for this 25 fps project preset....1080p50, 1080p25, or 1080i25? And which of the 25 fps project presets are you using...under PAL/AVCHD or PAL/DSLR? I am not clear as to whether or not you are now looking at 1080p50 footage with a 1080i or p project setting.

If you take one of your projects with the issue, make a copy of it, and use the copy to remove 1/2 of the content, does any of the issues disappear or become less?

More later.

Thanks.

ATR