18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2015 9:10 PM by A.T. Romano

Question: problems loading premier elements 7

ALeakey

I have premier elements 7.  It won't load now, and says I need to unistall then install.  Some of the error messages say licensing no longer supported

• 1. Re: Question: problems loading premier elements 7
          A.T. Romano Level 7

aleakey

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 7 running?

Do you have installation files or installation disc for an uninstall/reinstall? If so, do that

a. Uninstall the usual Control Panel route

c. Do a ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaning parts)

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

d. Reinstall with antivirus and firewalls turned Off.

Then decide what next after that. Have you gone through the prior drills before thinking about uninstall/reinstall?

a. Is your video card/graphics card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

b. Have you looked at the issue with and without the antivirus enabled?

c. Are you running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges as well as Run As Administrator (from right click of the program's desktop icon)?

d. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements?

When was the last time that the program was operational? And, what changes in Premiere Elements and/or the computer have you made from then until now? Is your computer optimized?

Please review and then let us know the outcome. Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Question: problems loading premier elements 7
            ALeakey Level 1

Thanks for the help - I can't install as I can't find the access code I was given when I bought it 5 years ago.  Is there someone I can contact to find that ?  I have proof of purchase.

The system is running on Windows Vista Home Premium

I've checked the de-frag position, and its doing that regularly, so shouldn't be a problem there.  I've also organised some of the old video, putting some headcam stuff on a new external samsung memory device.  I've then deleted that from the main pc.

I would the program last ran successfully a year ago.  I haven't changed anything since other than putting some of the headcam videos on the pc.

Do I need the latest version of quick time installed on the pc ?  I'm fairly sure I have an old version.

How do I find the details of my graphics card please ?

Struggling with this.......

• 3. Re: Question: problems loading premier elements 7
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ALeakey

Thanks for the reply and lots of details with which to work.

1. Definitely download and install the latest version of QuickTime.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

2. Go to http://www.adobe.com, sign in with your Adobe ID and Password, and, at the top right of that

home page, look for and click on a Welcome to get at My Products. If the program was ever registered,

hopefully you will find your product there with its serial number which we could use in case of a needed

uninstall/reinstall.

3. In the computer, find the Device Manager/Display Adapters/. Double clicking Display Adapters should reveal

the name of your video card/graphics card (s). Double click the card name to bring ups its Properties dialog.

Look at the Properties Driver Tab for the details of driver date and driver version. Based on that information, you

would go to the web site of the manufacturer of the card to determine if you have the latest version of the driver.

4. When Premiere Elements 7 is loading, is it stopping on any particular phase of the activities that are usually

displayed when the loading is taking place?

Please review. The details for the above will help us even further to plan troubleshooting strategy.

Do not give up.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Also make sure that you are still working from a User Account with Administrative Privileges and also you are running

Run As Administration......look at the problems with and without the antivirus program disabled.

• 4. Re: Question: problems loading premier elements 7
                ALeakey Level 1

OK, getting closer:

1. quicktime - done

2. adobe did have a record of my purchase as you suggested - awesome thanks

3. device driver now updated for the nvidia graphics card

4. the programme was stopping at first base - the purple box came up on screen with the name of the programmers.  Then it just crashed and gave the error message.

SO, I've removed the programme from the pc, and downloaded it again fresh, and I now get a new error message:

"Error opening installation log file.  Verify that the specified log file location exists and is writable."

Any clues ?

thanks again for the help so far.

• 5. Re: Question: problems loading premier elements 7
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ALeakey

Look at the issue with and without the antivirus and firewall turned on. If that does not point to the core of the issue, then...

Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file which is found

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 7.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 7.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working from Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited. Since you cannot open the program, please let me know if you see Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

If there should be any problems with that troubleshooting plan, then let us go for the uninstall, ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaning parts), reinstall with antivirus and firewall turned off.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Make sure that you are running your computer and programs from a User Account with Administrative Privileges as well as having the Premiere Elements 7 desktop icon designated with the Run As Administrator tag.

Let us determine if any of the above gets the problems resolved completely.

Thank for the follow ups.

ATR

• 6. Re: Question: problems loading premier elements 7
                    ALeakey Level 1

Having a nightmare with this - the only thing in the Premiere Elements folder that you describe above is a file that says T09 - 09 - 03 - 2008.  When you click on it, there is just a file that says "trace database. txt"

I'm going for the 2nd option now (2nd time I've done the uninstall, reinstall)

• 7. Re: Question: problems loading premier elements 7
                      ALeakey Level 1

and now premier elements is not appearing in the list of programmes to uninstall in the control panel.

any clues ?

• 8. Re: Question: problems loading premier elements 7
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

ALeakey

Thanks for the update. Sorry that the news is not better. But do not give up.

Installed programs not showing up in the Control Panel/Programs can happen for reasons other than the program is not installed.

What follows is what I am suggesting that you do to resolve that particular phase of your issues so that we can get a fresh start.

1. Install Premiere Elements 7...you have the installation files or installation disc and the purchased serial number. Is that correct?

2. When you go to install Premiere Elements 7, it is either going to install (if the program is no longer installed for some reason) or it

is going to uninstall the installed Premiere Elements 7 program and thus allow for a new install and its appearance once more in the

Control Panel/Programs.

That is the plan.

Please review and consider. If any information that would impact this plan, please let me know and then we will decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Question: problems loading premier elements 7
                          ALeakey Level 1

exactly the same result "Error opening installation log file.  Verify that the specified log file location exists and is writable"

• 10. Re: Question: problems loading premier elements 7
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

ALeakey

Thanks for the reply. Could you clarify?

Were you able to get Premiere Elements 7 installed so that it is represented in Control Panel/Programs, using the route that I suggested in post

numbered 8?

If so, was your reply numbered 9 related to trying to open the "Control Panel/Programs" installed program?

For troubleshooting purposes, it might be a good idea to try to install the Premiere Elements 12 tryout from Adobe to determine if it will install. A win win situation either way, which will point to the computer or the Premiere Elements 7 program as the core problem.

ATR

Add On...Still thinking Premiere Elements 7.....If we have not discussed it before, a consideration might be to create a new User Account with Administrative Privileges and install and try to use Premiere Elements 7 from that account. You do no have to delete the User Account that you have now. Just shut it down, while you use the new account.

• 11. Re: Question: problems loading premier elements 7
                              ALeakey Level 1

I wasn't able to instal PE7, it just came to the same error point.

this is the list of issues found by the cleaner - if I press "Clean" on this, I won't lose any docs / photos will I ?

I've backed up photos to a hard-drive.  For some reason the DVD RW has stopped allowing me to write discs (which I accept may indicate a problem that needs the cleaner !)

• 12. Re: Question: problems loading premier elements 7
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

ALeakey

Thanks for the reply.

ccleaner should not cause you to lose documents and photos in the regular cleaner or registry cleaner parts of the program. And, be sure to click Yes to its opportunity to backup the Registry before doing is registry cleaning activities.

With regard to your burner problems, do they exist even if Premiere Elements is not in the equation?

What is the status of your Premiere Elements 7 at this point....not installed as per the Control Panel/Programs?

If we put Premiere Elements 7 aside for the moment, can you download and install the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12 from Adobe as per my comment in post numbered 10?

For troubleshooting purposes, it might be a good idea to try to install the Premiere Elements 12 tryout from Adobe to determine if it will install. A win win situation either way, which will point to the computer or the Premiere Elements 7 program as the core problem.

I am getting to be concerned that this is a computer issue rather than a Premiere Elements 7 issue. Can you use all other programs on your computer except Premiere Elements 7?

ATR

• 13. Re: Question: problems loading premier elements 7
                                  ALeakey Level 1

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss !!!!

the cleaner seems to have worked

ran the cleaner, and I was then able to install PE 7.  Just about to try it to make sure it edits some stuff

thanks for all the help

• 14. Re: Question: problems loading premier elements 7
                                    ALeakey Level 1

booooooooooooooo

and now it keeps crashing - whenever I try to edit anything in it.

ho hum

any clues ?

• 15. Re: Question: problems loading premier elements 7
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ALeakey

Great, great, not enough greats to cover the

the cleaner seems to have worked

Great job. Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting.

Looking forward to further developments when your schedule permits.

We are very pleased with the news. The follow up is much appreciated.

ATR

• 16. Re: Question: problems loading premier elements 7
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

ALeakey

Oh. No. Say it isn't so.

I did not see your post numbered 14 until I had posted mine (post numbered 15). I think that we both hit the Internet at the same time.

Do not give up.

1. Did the program open OK to the project preset so that you could set and save it in the new project dialog?

What did you set for the project preset?

2. What are the properties of the files that you imported for edit...jpg photos (if so, how many and what pixel dimension)  video (format, duration)?

What type of editing where you doing when the problems set in? What was the duration of the Timeline content when the crashes started?

3. The usual drill type questions....

a. Latest version of QuickTime installed on computer with Premiere Elements 7?

b. Running program from User Account with Administrative Privileges and Run As Administrator applied?

c. Video card/graphics card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card or the manufacturer of the computer?

4. Have you tried the deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs files and, if necessary, the whole 7.0 Folder in which it exists

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 7.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 7.0 Folder in which it exists.

Make sure that you are working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

I think that we went down this road back in post 5, but it is probably worthwhile to try it again now.

We will be watching for further developments, keeping positive thoughts.

ATR

• 17. Re: Question: problems loading premier elements 7
                                          ALeakey Level 1

OK, having a nightmare with this.

STILL not working, despite several attempts over the months.  I've taken all the steps in the last post and its just not happening.

It will load up now, and retrieve video material into the window on the right.

It keeps crashing whenever I try to drag a video from the window on the right into the timeline at the bottom. 

The videos I'm using are mpeg 4, using the latest version of quicktime.

The only thing I'm not sure how to do is to logon as an administrator.  But apart from that I've done everything else.  Any clues as to what else I can do ?

Yours, frustrated of Leigh !

• 18. Re: Question: problems loading premier elements 7
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

ALeakey

Sorry that the news is not better, buy let us see what can be done.

What is the current major issue - crashing during .mp4 edits or more. Please detail. File size and duration of the file.

1. Have we determined if the problem targets editing of just those .mp4 files? Do you have the same problems if you

import a bunch of jpg files and start editing them? Same problem? How large a project are you dealing with when

the project goes bad?

2. Depending on how matters progress, please consider another free ccleaner run through including the regular cleaner

and the registry cleaner parts. You should be OK running those. But, say Yes in the registry part for the backup of the

registry before the registry cleaning.

3. With Premiere Elements 7 on Windows Vista 32 bit, computer resources are low for editing a resource demanding

format.

Please consider the above, and then we will review the results.

Thank you.

ATR