7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2014 5:02 AM by ctreeves

cfpdf optimize

ctreeves Level 1

I am uploading pdf files to our server and want to save space.  I am trying to use cfpdf to optimize the file size.  The one I am testing on is 1.25MB, so it's not a big file.  When I reduce it using desktop Acrobat it takes less than 1 second.  When I use Coldfusion it times out after several minutes.

The file is first uploaded to it's own directory, then I use this to try to reduce it.

<cfpdf

action = "optimize"

source = "H:\Inetpub\Wwwroot\MySite.com\newsletters\files\#Section#\#issue#.pdf" 

algo = "bilinear" />

I'm sure it's something I've done wrong, please advise.

• 1. Re: cfpdf optimize
          ctreeves Level 1

Bump 

• 2. Re: cfpdf optimize
            BKBK Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It should take seconds, not minutes. When I tested, using the following code on a 2MB PDF, it took 8 seconds.

<cfpdf

action = "optimize"

source =  "C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion\wwwroot\workspace\cfTest\pdf\myDoc.pdf"

algo = "bilinear"

pages = "*"

destination =  "C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion\wwwroot\workspace\cfTest\pdf\myDoc_optimized.pdf" 

overwrite = "true">

Done optimizing.

• 3. Re: cfpdf optimize
              ctreeves Level 1

Thank you, I tried your code to see if I could reduce one file directly on the server as compared to while I am uploading it.  The pdf is not protected and does have many images embedded.

I get this error:

An error occurred during OPTIMIZE operation in the cfpdf tag.

Error: com.adobe.internal.pdftoolkit.core.exceptions.PDFCosParseException: Undefined filter - JPXDecode
              • 4. Re: cfpdf optimize

Your Coldfusion version?

• 5. Re: cfpdf optimize
                  ctreeves Level 1

Version: 9,0,0,251028

• 6. Re: cfpdf optimize

ctreeves wrote:

Thank you, I tried your code to see if I could reduce one file directly on the server as compared to while I am uploading it.  The pdf is not protected and does have many images embedded.

I get this error:

An error occurred during OPTIMIZE operation in the cfpdf tag.

Error: com.adobe.internal.pdftoolkit.core.exceptions.PDFCosParseException: Undefined filter - JPXDecode

In my opinion, you have found a bug in ColdFusion 9. You should create a bug report, attaching the PDF file to it.

• 7. Re: cfpdf optimize
                      ctreeves Level 1

Thank you, I submitted a bug.  I may be able to migrate to CF10 in the next 6 months to a year, but this is disappointing for now.  Maybe they'll fix my bug today? 

I appreciate your help!