7 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2014 12:34 PM by Rick Gerard

camera tracker

shmatti

When I set up my camera tracker, how come the "create shadow catcher, camera and light" option is greyed out?

Screen Shot 2014-05-28 at 10.34.39 AM.png

• 1. Re: camera tracker
          bogiesan Level 4

Do you actually need to create those resources?

• 2. Re: camera tracker
            bogiesan Level 4

Creating a "shadow catcher" layer

You can quickly create a "shadow catcher" layer, used to create realistic shadows for the effect. A shadow catcher layer is white solid the same size as the footage, but set to accept shadows only.

To create a shadow catcher layer, use the Create Shadow Catcher, Camera and Light commands in the context menu.

If necessary, adjust the position and scale of the shadow catcher layer so the cast shadow appears as desired. This command also creates a shadow-casting light (a light that is switched on, and casts shadows) if one does not exist in the composition.

• 3. Re: camera tracker
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

bogiesan wrote:

To create a shadow catcher layer, use the Create Shadow Catcher, Camera and Light commands in the context menu.

Bogiesan, that is exactly what he is trying to do, but if you'll look at his screenshot, that option is not available. This is, in fact, his reason for posting.

• 4. Re: camera tracker
                shmatti Level 1

Yeah...like Szalam said...that's what I'm trying to do. Is there some setting I don't have turned on? frame rate? I can't figure it out???

• 5. Re: camera tracker
                  bogiesan Level 4

I see your screen shot. What I don't see that you've followed the procedure. Did you? Required is a white solid, more specifically, "A shadow catcher layer is white solid the same size as the footage, but set to accept shadows only." I do not see this evidence in the screen shot provided. Perhaps there is more of the screenshot than I can see. Perhaps you can explain more about your experience with 3D tracking and your previous adventures with shadow catchers.

• 6. Re: camera tracker
                    bogiesan Level 4

Searching the forum and other assets for SHADOW CATCHER turned up several videos on youtube and vimeo, lynda.com and some threads from earlier versions of AE. The version you're using is apparently more current than mine but this thread from 2012 may help: Ray tracing engine: Create Shadow Catcher

• 7. Re: camera tracker
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of AE down to the decimal point? Are you up to date? OS? Did this work before? If so, what changed?

The other possibility is that your solve may be incomplete or so full of errors that you can't get a calculation.

What happens if you try a different clip or edit the in and out points of the clip you are using?