3 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2014 8:09 AM by A.T. Romano

How to change webcam resolution

Corco Level 1

Hi,

I have a USB device to capture HDMI sources that I use to record from my camera. The device uses UVC so it's the same as a webcam for any Windows application.

The USB can output multiple resolution from SD to HD. However, I can't seem to be able to choose the recording resolution when I use it in Adobe Premiere Elements. It always record in 720x480, although in VLC, I can use it to record in 1080p.

Right now, I can record in VLC in 1080p then import in Premiere, but I would prefer to just be able to change the webcam resolution in Premiere!

Jonathan

• 1. Re: How to change webcam resolution
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jonathan

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

I have run into the same problem. There are other reports of this problem as well. I have a HD webcam that will only display as SD when used through the Premiere Elements Add Media/Webcam or WDM.

I have planned to analyze this in a blog post but have not gotten around to it yet.

Right now I do not think there is a fix other than to find that certain HD webcam that Premiere Elements will recognize as HD. That seems to be the case in this online video tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XebjDAeE7M

Note at the end how the output looks 16:9 rather than 4:3. For informational rather than promotional reasons I mention that it looks like a Logitech HD Pro Webcam C92 was used in that video tutorial on the Premiere Elements 12 webcam feature.

More later.

ATR.

• 2. Re: How to change webcam resolution
            Corco Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, even though it seems there is no simple answer to the problem...

I use Adobe Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7. I can't test on my Mac since it lacks the USB3 port my device uses!

Jonathan

• 3. Re: How to change webcam resolution
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Jonathan

Thanks for the follow up.

If any further developments there on the issue, please let us know. I will do the same.

In my case, attempts to look at this from a "device driver" point of view have been unsuccessful.

More on this another time.

ATR