Hi Tom. Did you use the same settings to create the SWF file as before? If so, look at the how the SWF file has been embedded in the topic. Can you tell us what values have been used. Can you also tell us if the problem is there when you preview the topic as well as in the output. Finally what type of output are you creating.
I'm using the same exact .swf file as before. I even created a brand new html page and reimported the .swf file into it with the same results. The problem is the same in the preview as in the output, which is webhelp.
The html code is as follows. I cut and pasted it from the html file, so I hope the formatting didn't mess up the code.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<meta name="generator" content="Adobe RoboHelp 10" />
<link rel="StyleSheet" href="default.css" type="text/css" />
<p style="text-align: center;"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
id="object1" data="Using ESR Help Links1_508.swf"
style="border: none; width: 100%; height: 100%;">
<param name="movie" value="Using ESR Help Links1_508.swf" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
Loading multimedia control...</object></p>
So what has changed in the meantime? Is this a newer version of the SWF file? If so, was the Captivate version you used different? Perhaps you need a newer version of Flash to display it properly.
The previous working version of the webhelp was produced with my government issued laptop using Windows XP. Now I have a different laptop with Windows 7. The version of Captivate used to produce the .swf file is not on my Windows 7 laptop.
What we're exploring is that we use Rational Clear Case for configuration management and they are using a different stream for the RH files. However, the previous version of the webhelp that worked OK last year was reloaded and it still works OK. The "new" baselined version does not. It was also tested on another laptop and did not work on their laptop either. I'm stumped.
Like I said, it works if you have specific pixel numbers for the height and width, but displays at a fixed much smaller size when you use width: 100%; height: 100%.
So has the SWF been changed by someone else with Captivate? Also is it safe to assume that the RoboHelp version you were / are using on the XP / Win7 machine is the same? What version is it? Finally is it the same when the output in run in different browsers? If not, which ones don't work?
No, I am the only one who works on the Captivate projects and it has remained untouched since when it worked.
My RH version is 10, as it was on my previous laptop which was running Windows XP. My current laptop runs Windows 7 which may have something to do with the issues I'm having.
The demos, as I've said, runs very small in IE9. They don't even appear in Firefox 29.0.1.
One thing we discovered today is that when we reverted to a copy of the webhelp that ran fine in its application environment on the server last year and redeployed it, it performed perfectly in the application environment.
The issue seems to be getting it to run locally. Someone else is also having the same display issues on his local machine, which is also running Windows 7. He used a trial version of RH 11 with the same results.
Everything is pointing at my local environment. What the local issue is beats me. Any ideas? Thanks.
This is a bit of a long shot but could this be down to a conflict between the version of Windows you have and the one used to create the SWF. If you previously had Win XP you had a 32bit processor. Now with Win 7 I assume you have a 64bit processor. Either the SWF created in 32bit mode doesn't sit well in 64bit land or the version of Flash it needs and you have installed does not fit well together. I'd be tempted to install Captivate on a 64bit machine, regenerate the SWF from the original source and try that.
I think you may be on to something. Everything is pointing to the change in environment from Windows XP to Windows 7.
Unfortunately, I will have to wait to test that theory. The government is very slow in getting me the required software I need. If and when I get the latest version of Captivate on my Windows 7 PC, I will republish one of the .swf files and test. It may be awhile.
I'll try to remember to post the results either way.
Thanks for your input.