3 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2014 3:56 PM by ECBowen

New GPU not supported but old one is...

SUMOFilms

About a year ago I upgraded my edit suite with 24GB RaM and 3 - nVidia GeForce GTX 660Ti GPUs in SLI to allow for faster rendering in 3D projects. I have an old Quadro FX 5800 left over from the upgrade. I went to tech support and sent an email into a black hole asking the following questions.

Why is this card that runs circles around my old card not supported?

Is there an update that might be in the works in the near future?

The main reason for upgraded to CC was to enable GPU acceleration on renders. So far, I'm not all that impressed with the move from CS5 "all the way" to CC other than getting rid of Soundbooth for Audition.

• 1. Re: New GPU not supported but old one is...
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Adobe Premiere CC will enable the GPU acceleration whether the card is on the supported list or not. It just gives you a warning that it's not. The supported list is simply the video cards Adobe ahs tested themselves. That doesn't mean they are the only cards that will work. Adobe updates the supported list on occasion depending on the priority of testing the hardware. Once the higher end Geforce cards are supported the mid level ones become a lower priority to validate since they likely will work as well.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: New GPU not supported but old one is...
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I wonder if it is a problem with three cards in SLI.  CC supports only two GPU's and SLI is not necessary.  A single properly enabled GTX 660 Ti will significantly outperform the FX 5800 in GPU accelerated MPE effects and features anytime. .

• 3. Re: New GPU not supported but old one is...
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Did you set the 660Ti cards in SLI in the Nvidia control panel or did you just mean 3 installed? SLI is not  used for GPU acceleration with more than 1 card. SLI has to due with using more than 1 card to draw out on a screen. if you have all 3 setup in SLI in the Nvidia control panel then I would change to independent mode unless you require them in SLI for something else.

Eric

ADK