6 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2014 9:38 AM by A.T. Romano

I can not copy a transition between multiple clips in premiere 12

Vincent Chiti

Following the procedure described in the manual, I can not copy a transition between multiple clips in Premiere 12.

Premiere copy a single transition in the clip closer to the time bar.

I had tried in various ways but to no avail. The problem can be solved?

Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: I can not copy a transition between multiple clips in premiere 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Vincent Chiti

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

What are you reading - the Premiere Elements 12 Help PDF or something else? If the Premiere Elements 12 Help PDF, please cite the page from which you are reading about "copying a transition between multiple clips" in Premiere Elements 12.

Could you we trying to work with the Apply Default Transition Along CTI versus Apply Default Transition?

More later.

ATR

• 2. Re: I can not copy a transition between multiple clips in premiere 12
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Vincent Chiti

The Apply Default Transition Along CTI option is involved in more versions of Premiere Elements than just version 12. Same considerations for all.

At another forum that I no longer visit, I wrote the following explanation for Premiere Elements' Apply Default Transition Along CTI.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64518

In that thread, Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 was involved. But, principle remains the same for other versions with the option.

For better or worse and until proven otherwise, this is my take on the Apply Default Transition along CTI which I do not believe is described adequately to use it. I believe this is meant to be used when you have a, b, c, d, and e clips together on the Timeline. And, you want to place a default transition between just say a and b and also c and d. You would move the CTI (Timeline Indicator) from desired location to the next desired location with the Page Down (going to the right) or Page Up (going to the left). So, Page Down to between a and b, right click b, and select Apply Default Transition along CTI (you will not have another choice since the Apply Default Transition is grayed out).

Please let us know if we are targeting your question.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: I can not copy a transition between multiple clips in premiere 12
              Vincent Chiti Level 1

My OS is Windows7.  I am reading the PDF manual about  "copying a transition between multiple clips" in Premiere Elements 12 on pages 114.

"Copiare e incollare le transizioni nella timeline della vista Esperti

Per copiare e incollare le transizioni, prima di selezionare la transizione da copiare occorre selezionare delle clip consecutive a cui è stata applicata

una transizione.

1. Selezionate le clip consecutive a cui è stata applicata una transizione.

2. Selezionate la transizione, quindi scegliete Modifica > Copia oppure premete Ctrl+C.

3. Selezionate le clip consecutive a cui desiderate applicare la transizione copiata.

4. Scegliete Modifica > Incolla oppure premete Ctrl+V."

In my PC, this process does not work.

"Apply Default Transition along CTI" is instead working for one transition.

Best regards.

• 4. Re: I can not copy a transition between multiple clips in premiere 12
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Vincent Chiti

I am not finding page 114 of 319 of my view of Premiere Elements 12 Help PDF to have the information that you have posted.

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

But, I have found the same information at page 129 of 319 (top of PDF) and page 125 on the actual page viewed with the information

Copy and paste transitions in the Expert view timeline

To copy and paste transitions, select consecutive clips that have a transition before selecting the transition you want to copy.

1. Select the consecutive clips that have a transition applied to them.
                2. Select the transition and then select Edit > Copy, or press Ctrl-C.
                3. Select the consecutive clips for which you want to apply the copied transition.
                4. Select Edit > Paste, or press Ctrl-V.
                Note:  Video transitions are pasted to video tracks and audio transitions are pasted to audio tracks.

The Apply Default Transition Along CTI included in the Clip Menu works as I have speculated in post 2 of your thread.

And, this Copy and Paste transitions matter also appears to be Adobe programmed for a "one at a time" operation. Consider....

This matter of the Copy and Paste brings up considerations and results similar to "Apply Default Transition Along CTI". In the Adobe Copy and Paste writeup, when it mentions "consecutive clips", I believe that it is referring to one pair of clips which will have one transition

aligned between them.

• If clips a, b, c, d, e, f, g
                • And, transition placed between a and b (Step 1 from above)
                • You select the transition between a and b and select Edit Menu/Copy to put the transition in the Clipboard memory (Step 2 from above)
                • You select another pair of clips (c and d) along this same Timeline (Page Down to place the Timeline Indicator there between them. (Step 3 of above with my interpretion thrown in)
                • You select Edit Menu/Paste to put that copied transition between c and d (Step 4 of the above based on my interpretation.)

The transition that you copied remains in the Clipboard memory, so if you keep moving the Timeline Indicator to between another pair of clips, you can paste the transition to yet more pairs of clips one at a time.

This matter is not confined to just Premiere Elements 12.

Please review and consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: I can not copy a transition between multiple clips in premiere 12
                  Vincent Chiti Level 1

Sig. T.T. Romano,

javascript:void(0)

I finally figured out that you can not copy a transition between multiple clips at the same time and it will copy one at a time.

What seems strange, however, because in Pinnacle, which I used until recently, this could be done, and Adobe is not less than Pinnacle.
                  Maybe Adobe does not consider interesting this thing, or maybe it is inserted in Premiere Pro. How, for example, in the titles, the ability to animate multiple lines. In Premiere Elements missing but I knew that in the Pro's.

I thank you anyway for your helpful answers.

Vincent Chiti

• 6. Re: I can not copy a transition between multiple clips in premiere 12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Vincent Chiti

Thanks for your follow up.

You mentioned titles and ability to apply text animations to more than one line of text. Were you aware that you can apply the text animations to more than one line of text in the Premiere Elements Titler? If you have not seen it already, please review the following....

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Titler - Part 1 Text Animations

Best wishes in your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR