5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2014 6:32 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements Disk Menus does not show in replay using Mac Pro OS X 10.9.3

SigiPC

I recently installed Premier Elements 12 on my Mac Pro OS X 10.9.3 (Maverick).

Naturally I want to get the highest possible quality to show off on the TV using a standard DVD player.

Outputting to DVD not using AVCHD retains the menu but not on AVCHD, what am I doing wrong?

The Output Quality using just DVD and not AVCHD is lousy, what have I missed?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements Disk Menus does not show in replay using Mac Pro OS X 10.9.3
          A.T. Romano Level 7

SigiPC

AVCHD format on DVD disc cannot be played back on a standard DVD player with or without disc menus. You need a Blu-ray player with AVCHD DVD support or a multiformat super TV playback device that supports AVCHD on DVD.

Also, stop markers function in the playback of Premiere Elements DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, but not in playback of Premiere Elements AVCHD format on DVD disc.

Can you get computer playback of your AVCHD on DVD with a computer player. Or no disc menu computer player or Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD DVD?

Not sure if you are in an expectation situation or have missed some steps to make your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc end product better than what you have achieved. Expectation wise you are facing 1920 x 1080 for the AVCHD and about 856 x 480 pixels displayed after encoding with the NTSC DV Widescreen Dolby DVD preset. In the way of getting the best possible for the DVD-VIDEO format...

a. If photos are source media then start with the DSLR project preset

b. If you are using inlerlaced video source, then make adjustments for possible Upper Field First scan order of the import versus the DVD-VIDEO requirement for scan order Lower Field First.

c. Evaluate the Quality area of the burn dialog for Space Required and Bitrate before hitting Burn button.

d. Other

I have not run into a situation where a disc menu for a AVCHD DVD went missing after the burn to.

a. What disc menu?

b. How many Timeline menu markers? Consequently, how many main menu pages, how many scene menu pages?

c. What player?

Let us start here and then plan our troubleshooting strategy based on your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements Disk Menus does not show in replay using Mac Pro OS X 10.9.3
            SigiPC Level 1

ATR

Thank you for your interest/help. I am answering in sequence as per your note.

I was not aware of the fact that AVCHD format cannot be played back on standard DVD players. I am using a Blu-Ray player.

Re Stop Markers - you are saying:  …do no function in Playback of….AVCHD format on DVD disk. Does this mean Scene Markers (auto assigned by Clips) are functioning but playback will not stop at stop markers; this would not be a problem for me.

Playback on computer of AVCHD on DVD is functioning but Menu and Scenes are not displayed. Menu and Scenes are present evidenced by authoring to .swf format playback.

I am obviously in an “expectation situation…” considering DVD-Video uses only 856x480 pixels.

My source media is output from iPhoto and Fotomagico slide shows whose output is MP4 MOV or M4V and if played back in Quicktime are of very acceptable quality (H.264 1920X1080).

I am using single photo frames so far only for Menu backgrounds – output quality so far not of concern, so DSLR project preset may not be necessary at this stage.

Not sure if I am using “interlaced video” but you would know from my input sources mentioned above.

“Quality area” and space requirements are not of concerns at this stage since present show length is not even 30 minutes – or should I be concerned for some other reason but space?

Other – not applicable

What disk menu?  I am talking about “disk menus” as per page 243 of Premiere Elements Manual.

I have 9 Timeline markers – inserted by Premiere Elements automatically on my request.

I am using a Panasonic Blu-Ray player on the TV.

My Objectives are:

• Assemble shows for presentation on large screen TV and mail or give a copies on DVD to persons interested.
            • Shows may be a mixture of slide presentations, still pictures and film clips.
            • Inserting the DVD into a player the show plays automatically – starting up with an introduction (Menu) and sections (Scenes) to be able to jump to directly.
            • The output quality must be as good as what I get from playback of MOV, MP4 or M4V using Quicktime.

I think Premiere elements can do all of that once I understand the ins and outs.

1. Thanks.

SigiPC

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements Disk Menus does not show in replay using Mac Pro OS X 10.9.3
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SigiPC

Thanks for the reply.

Objective Miscellaneous

Let us start with your objectives. If you are restricted to a DVD disc, then your export choices from Premiere Elements will be

DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc (720 x 480 stretched to 856 x 480 for display after encoding)

or

AVCHD format on DVD disc (1920 x 1080 16:9)

Disc menus are possible as described for main menu page, scene menu page, main menu markers and scene markers. The players will recognize the stop markers placed in a Premiere Elements burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, but will not recognize the stop markers in a Premiere Elements burn to AVCHD on DVD disc. There should not be problem with main menu markers or scene markers in either choice.

Also, AVCHD on DVD is not playable in the standard DVD player. You need a Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD on DVD disc. Many do, but some may not. The specifications of the player is your guideline.

For AVCHD on DVD disc, you do not need a Blu-ray DVD burner to burn to AVCHD on DVD disc. That can be done with a DVD burner.

And, under all conditions, a stop marker should never be placed at the end of the last item on the Timeline.

Specific Replies

What disk menu?  I am talking about “disk menus” as per page 243 of Premiere Elements Manual.

It was my impression that you said that "Disc Menus Do Not Show...", so I was asking which specific disc menu theme are you using? And, is this "do not show" applicable to all the disc menu themes that you have tried to work with?

I am using a Panasonic Blu-Ray player on the TV.

Are the disc menus of your Premiere Elements DVD-VIDEO or AVCHD on DVD not displaying solely with this Panasonic player? Or, is the same observed with computer playback of the DVD product? If the missing menus in the end product issue that brought you here involves solely the Panasonic player, then I would ask if you have checked the player for any option that would control the display of menus in the playback?

Not sure if I am using “interlaced video” but you would know from my input sources mentioned above.

You wrote "My source media is output from iPhoto and Fotomagico slide shows whose output is MP4 MOV or M4V and if played back in Quicktime are of very acceptable quality (H.264 1920X1080)". That does not tell me if 1080p or 1080i, but I suspect that it is 1080p. The MediaInfo properties readout will give a definite answer.

http://download.cnet.com/MediaInfo/3000-2169_4-10413046.html

Just be careful for unwanted carry alongs with the MediaInfo free program. But iPhoto and Fotomagico should be telling you before export whether you are exporting 1080i or 1080p. My main focus on the Premiere Elements 1080p DSLR aspects related to slideshow is the fact that that Premiere Elements DSLR project presets seem to give consistently a sharper photo image in the end product. So when applicable (photo and video wise) it is the preferred route for me and others.

“Quality area” and space requirements are not of concerns at this stage since present show length is not even 30 minutes – or should I be concerned for some other reason but space?

As routine, the Quality area Space Required and Bitrate should be known, even for your 30 minute Timeline content duration. You should be working with a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space" and watching the Bitrate in that area. Anything lower than the maximum 8.00 Mbps indicates that the program is making a fit by lowering the Bitrate. The extent that it does not impacts the quality of the end product. Also, of note, the that Bitrate is a variable one in the end product.

This may or may not affect what you are doing now, but it is important information to include in the discussion "just in case".

Also, related trivia...DVD disc marked 4.7 GB/120 minutes is in reality 4.38 GB; DVD disc marked 8.5 GB/240 minutes is in reality 7.95 GB.

Are we any closer to getting at why your disc menus are disappearing after end product creation in Premiere Elements and at playback with your Panasonic player?

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements Disk Menus does not show in replay using Mac Pro OS X 10.9.3
                SigiPC Level 1

ATR

The start from scratch by looking at my objectives was the right way to go because you could concentrate on simple straight forward answers.

My mistake was "save money" and write to BDMV output to folder first, test it and on success burn to DVD. Problem is OS X 10.9.3 (and likely others) channels BDMV folders to Quicktime and Quicktime does not understand menus  generated - I suppose - and plays only the clips. Once I burn to DVD directly the DVD will play on my Blu-Ray player. The playback quality is exceptional.

Premiere Elements 12 managed to get aborted by OS X and a report went to Adobe. The operation of Premiere Elements 12 was not quite as smooth as I expected however the job is done and I will mange others as well.

Thank you so much for your help an encouragement.

Now to specific replies:

Source Media iPhoto and Fotomagico output is H.264 1080p.

I also took your hint regarding using DSLR for Project settings and it looks that did enhance picture clarity.

The rest of your hints are taken aboard and I hope other folks will benefit from this discussion. Thanks again.

SigiPC

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements Disk Menus does not show in replay using Mac Pro OS X 10.9.3
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SigiPC

Thanks for reviewing the comments and suggestions. The follow up with the good news that  you are moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects is much appreciated.

We are glad for the opportunity to be of assistance in this sharing and learning atmosphere. In sharing in this Q&A forum, we all learn whether we are beginner, intermediate, or advanced users of the program.

Best wishes.

ATR