4 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2014 2:42 AM by joel_pau

How to get Parent Symbol name of current e.target element ?

cnachos

How can I get the Parent Symbol name of the current e.target element ?

would that involve using this ?

getParentSymbol()

Thanks for the help

• 1. Re: How to get Parent Symbol name of current e.target element ?
          Sudeshnasarkar27 Adobe Employee

Hi ,

I created a composition where I am trying to access the parent symbol of a rectangle. The structure is like this -

Stage->parentMainSymbol->ChildSymbol->childRectangle. Now for the parentMainSymbol click , to access the rectangle element(which is the target) you can use the following snippet -

sym.getComposition().getStage().getSymbol("parentMainSymbol").getSymbol("ChildSymbol").$(" childRectangle")

Now, the parent of this is ChildSymbol whose reference could be obtained by -

sym.getComposition().getStage().getSymbol("parentMainSymbol").getSymbol("ChildSymbol").$(" childRectangle")[0].offsetParent

The info about the parent symbol is just being printed in the console view for the attached composition. This would print it out for -

#Stage_parentMainSymbol_childSymbol which is the parent symbol of the target childRectangle under consideration.

Kindly, take a look and let me know if it solves your problem.

Thanks and Regards,

Sudeshna Sarkar

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to get Parent Symbol name of current e.target element ?
            cnachos Level 1

Thanks for the reply but this is not what i'm looking for.

I'm trying to find a way to get the PARENT SYMBOL NAME of any targeted element on the stage by using the e.target so that I don't need to specify any symbol name manually.

Example:

On stage, I have a symbol name "symContainer" and inside that symbol I have 3 elements called shape1, shape2, shape3. When i'm using EVENT like a Mouseover to apply a css properties change  using the e.target, it will change the properties of the target elements but I want to change the parent symbol properties only. I want a way to GetElementSymbolParent so that I can change properties of the parent symbol only.

is there a e.target.parent or anything of that  sort ?

Thanks

• 3. Re: How to get Parent Symbol name of current e.target element ?
              Sudeshnasarkar27 Adobe Employee

Hi ,

I have created another sample which has a main parent symbol "symContainer" containing 3 shapes - Shape1 , Shape 2, Shape 3. The logic is written on mouseover of shape 2(which is the green rounded rectangle) and on mouseover it would return(in the console view print) - symContainer which is the parent symbol.

console.log(sym.getSymbolElementNode().id);

Hope this helps!

Thanks and Regards,

Sudeshna Sarkar

• 4. Re: How to get Parent Symbol name of current e.target element ?
                joel_pau Level 5

Hi,

You can also try: sym.getSymbolTypeName()

==> Here is a demo file: https://app.box.com/s/08kwggkuwnzfx61gwgad