10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 1:37 AM by haukefox

InDesign Paragraph and Numbered List styles margin problems in epub export

lmadobe

There really seems to be no easy way to explain the issue I'm having here, but I'll do my best to try and get it across to you guys.

I'm working in an InDesign file using a number of different paragraph styles and the end product is being exported to an epub. The issues I'm getting are only visible in the epub format and center around (I think) InDesign's numbered lists. What I see in InDesign is this:

issue indesign.JPG

Which looks all nice and everything. The paragraph, header, and numbered list styles all are lined up as I wish them to be, the margins make sense.

However, when I export this to an epub, I get this problem:

issue epub.JPG

Where after a numbered list item (above example is number 16.) everything is pushed over to match its margin (or something). Even the header ("Advance notice to registrar re certain changes") has been indented to the location of the numbered points.

I can't seem figure out why exactly it's done this. Nothing on the web addresses this issue, and no matter how much I play around with export tags and indents and spacing, I can't resolve the problem.

Please help!

• 1. Re: InDesign Paragraph and Numbered List styles margin problems in epub export
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've moved your question to the InDesign EPUB forum.

• 2. Re: InDesign Paragraph and Numbered List styles margin problems in epub export
            pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi,

InDesign applies certain heuristics when it tries to export bulleted/numbered lists. It is as follows:

For bullets, the rule is that we treat two paragraphs which share all the same bullet related attributes, including left indent, as being part of the same list.

In addition, a paragraph which is not a bullet, but which follows a bullet paragraphs and has the same left indent, is considered as a "nested" paragraph and becomes part of the list.

For numbers, because designers can set the attribute for the "List" which it is part of, this setting has the highest priority relative to left indent but all other rules are same.

Without looking at the InDesign file, it would be difficult to say how to correct this problem. It would be nice if you could share your file so that we can explain why it is happening. You can share the dropbox link with me at pja@adobe.com.

Regards,

Pooja

• 3. Re: InDesign Paragraph and Numbered List styles margin problems in epub export
              RosettaBooks Level 1

FYI, this is still an issue in latest version of InDesign CC (2015.2 Release) 11.2.0.100 x64 Build

I can't find any way to convince the EPUB export engine that my numbered list ends where it ends. I've tried increasing the left margin set for the numbered list, changing its alignment and style inheritance, changing whether numbered list formatting is applied as a paragraph style or as a manual override, tried adding empty paragraphs in between, tried adding an empty bulleted list item at the end of the numbered list... nothing seems to work.

Here's an example of one of the InDesign paragraph setups I tried:

Capture.JPG

Maybe there's a trick, but I haven't found it yet...

• 4. Re: InDesign Paragraph and Numbered List styles margin problems in epub export
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What does it look like in the epub? Are all of the styles mapped to tags? What are the rest of your export settings? What reader are you viewing in?

Do you have a bit of custom CSS to add that space before the first paragraph after the last bullet? If not, I can tell you from experience that it works, given the assumption that the rest of the styling is done properly.

• 5. Re: InDesign Paragraph and Numbered List styles margin problems in epub export
                  RosettaBooks Level 1

Thanks Bob--on a hunch, I guessed that maybe my problem is that I'm exporting from a Book instead of a single Document. When I export the document alone to EPUB, it works great. When I export the Book (which includes that Document), it doesn't work.

Just focusing on the HTML export, here's how it maps when I export the Book as an EPUB:

<p class="Normal">For whatever it may be worth...</p>

<ol>

<li class="Numbered">A charismatic, gifted leader who described cultural changes which should be made;</li>

<li class="Numbered">Two or more respected citizens who testified that this leader was not a lunatic, but was well worth listening to;</li>

<li class="Numbered">A glib, personable explainer, who told the general public what the leader was up to, why he was so wonderful, and so on, day after day.<ul />

<p class="Normal">Turns out that such a table of organization ...</p>

<p class="Normal">I was in Chicago a couple of years back...</p>

<p class="Normal">I told him what I’ve told you...</p>

</li>

</ol>

I used the same export settings in each case (book and document): I'm using EPUB 3.0, Numbers map to Ordered Lists (and Bullets to Unordered Lists).

When I export as Document to EPUB, I get this (proper) structure:

<p class="Normal">For whatever it may be worth...</p>

<ol>

<li class="Numbered">A charismatic, gifted leader who described cultural changes which should be made;</li>

<li class="Numbered">Two or more respected citizens who testified that this leader was not a lunatic, but was well worth listening to;</li>

<li class="Numbered">A glib, personable explainer, who told the general public what the leader was up to, why he was so wonderful, and so on, day after day.</li>

</ol>

<p class="Normal">Turns out that such a table of organization...</p>

<p class="Normal">I was in Chicago a couple of years back...</p>

<p class="Normal">I told him what I’ve told you...</p>

So as far as I can isolate it, it's just a difference between the Book export engine and the Document export engine. Any idea on how to trick it into working?

• 6. Re: InDesign Paragraph and Numbered List styles margin problems in epub export
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

A couple of things.

Did you synchronize the setting across all documents? Are all of the styles mapped to tags? What version EPUB are you exporting to? What are you testing in?

Finally, a lot of this will be determined by the CSS.

• 7. Re: InDesign Paragraph and Numbered List styles margin problems in epub export
                      RosettaBooks Level 1

Bob, thank you. I've no idea why, but synchronizing the documents across the book fixed the issue. The HTML exports with the right nesting now. Don't even need the bullet/empty paragraph tricks.

Thanks!

• 8. Re: InDesign Paragraph and Numbered List styles margin problems in epub export
                        haukefox

Hi Pooja,

thanks for the mega fast reply already! Is a google drive link fine as well?

• 9. Re: InDesign Paragraph and Numbered List styles margin problems in epub export
                          Monica Singh Adobe Employee

Hi Hauke,

May be you can send the link to me as well. Yeah Google Drive or DropBox both are fine.

My email-id is monsingh@adobe.com

Thanks,

Monica Singh

InDesign Team

• 10. Re: InDesign Paragraph and Numbered List styles margin problems in epub export
                            haukefox Level 1

Hi Monica,

that would be really awesome, thanks! I just sent you an email with the dl link :-)

Best regards,

Hauke