8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2014 11:59 AM by Herbert2001
      • 1. Re: Smart objects should scale based on pixel resolution vs. physical dimension
        JJMack Most Valuable Participant

When ever you paste or place an image into a document. The image that is being added to the current document pixels are not changed at all no interpolation is done and the current document DPI setting is not changed.     The scale of the two image may or may not match  for each image was shoot some distance fro the lens that has some focal length and the camera may have been set  to capture an image at a sett other then maximum resolution.   Even when two image have the same number of pixels and the dpi resolution.  The scale of the object in the to images can be quite different.  When making a composite it is quite normal to need to transform the new lasy scale to match the current document scale.

• 2. Re: Smart objects should scale based on pixel resolution vs. physical dimension
          kevenlupien Level 1

I'm not sure I fully understand your response and maybe my illustration didn't explain the issue well enough. But anyway, I'm just throwing my opinion out there – hope it makes sense.

Cheers!

• 3. Re: Smart objects should scale based on pixel resolution vs. physical dimension

You most likely don't fully understand all that is involved.  Displays do not support images files document DPI resolution setting.  Displays only display pixels a single size that they are set up to run at. Normally their manufactures native pixel size.  The only time you see the actual pixels that your image contains is when Photoshop Zoom Level is 100% and most likely the pixel size is wrong and all your Image's pixels will not fit on your display.  The only time is they would be the correct size is when the Image DPI resolution is the same as the resolution your display is running at.

Any time Photoshop Image window Zoom level is not 100% you viewing a quickly scaled image not the pixels in you image and the scaling is done quickly not done with a advances interpolation method.

• 4. Re: Smart objects should scale based on pixel resolution vs. physical dimension
              Herbert2001 Level 4

Since Photoshop is by its legacy a print-oriented image editor, the current behaviour makes complete sense: you would get the same result in Illustrator and InDesign when importing those two images with those document settings.

Print-oriented design applications take no heed of the actual pixel resolution, and always scale an imported image based on the relation between inches/cm/etc. and the number of pixels per inch set for that file. (ppi - I wish people would stop abusing dpi for screens - it is pixel per inch, not dots per inch which are used when talking about the actual print on paper). Anyway.)

The ppi is a completely arbitrary number, which can be changed for an image without resampling it, thereby effectively changing the physical size of that image in a document.

As it stand, that is how it works, whether you like it or not - what you suggest is to completely disregard the ppi setting, and just work with the actual pixel resolution on the screen. That would be perhaps more convenient for screen, mobile, and web work, but that is not how Photoshop sees things. I would suggest that you set the same ppi for all your files (without resampling, of course).

• 5. Re: Smart objects should scale based on pixel resolution vs. physical dimension
                kevenlupien Level 1

Herbert2001, you mention that scaling based on ppi would be "more convenient for screen, mobile, and web work" which is what I do and therefore what I am basing my opinion on.

• 6. Re: Smart objects should scale based on pixel resolution vs. physical dimension
                  D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can see both sides to this, as I wrote in the other thread about this (and without having seen what you said here, Herbert2001):

I think it's probably convention. The Place command (and smart objects) is relatively new in Photoshop, but has always been a fundamental function in InDesign and also Illustrator. And there, in those print-centric and vector-based applications, it does make sense that it works as it does. Consistency across applications has always been an explicit goal.

That said, I basically agree with your point. In itself, there's no particular reason why the "place" command should honor print size over pixels. Either way, you have an embedded object that can be transformed freely without any loss in original quality - until you rasterize it. Copy/paste is another matter. There you have to obey the pixel grid.

• 7. Re: Smart objects should scale based on pixel resolution vs. physical dimension

You need to realize then you need scale your images for each users device screen there are many different resolution display devices.  If you want to display an image a particular size you need to find out the screen resolution of the users device mobile or not and scale your image's size with html for the display's resolution or have different image file that have a different number of pixels for a displays resolutions.   Considering all the operating system, browsers and versions of HTML involved. Though I do not know much about html and css etc. I do not believe that your going to find any set standards to do what you seem to want as far as I know there standard way to even get a displays ppi.  You can find the number of Pixels supported by a display but as far as I know there is no way to get a display physical size so you can calculate its ppi. Adobe even tried to eliminate Photoshop  UI  View Print Size for PPI is an unknown which must to be set by the user into the Photoshop Preferences Displays resolution for the feature to work correctly.

• 8. Re: Smart objects should scale based on pixel resolution vs. physical dimension
                      Herbert2001 Level 4

kevenlupien wrote:

Herbert2001, you mention that scaling based on ppi would be "more convenient for screen, mobile, and web work" which is what I do and therefore what I am basing my opinion on.

I also do a lot of web/game work, and it would be nice to have at least an option to turn the ppi interpretation off in Photoshop, and rely solely on actual pixels.

But that is unfortunately not the case. The simplest work-around is to open the smart object, and open the resize dialog. Then adjust the ppi (without resampling) to what you are using in your main document.