4 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2014 1:54 PM by A.T. Romano

Panning problem in Premiere Elements 10

MichaelGuy

While using Premiere Elements on a Mac, I am having trouble with panning effects. I will use the panning tool to establish two frames and apply a pan to a still photo, render the clip and save, but if I go back to the panning tool to slightly adjust the pan, the second frame is gone and I need to start over establishing the effect. This does not happen every time but I do not know what to do to make the effect stick.

• 1. Re: Panning problem in Premiere Elements 10
          A.T. Romano Level 7

michaelguy

The Premiere Elements 10 Pan and Zoom Tool starts you off with two pre-made frames. Can you see these two frames displayed in the bin underneath the screen display before you start your pan effect? How many more frames do you add to create your pan effect before you click Done, go back to the Premiere Elements 10 workspace, render the Timeline to get the best possible preview, and save the project which includes the image with the pan effect applied?

When you open the saved/closed project and open this panned image in the Pan and Zoom workspace, what frames are missing? Are they missing from the bin as well as the screen display?

You wrote

This does not happen every time but I do not know what to do to make the effect stick.

Hopefully we can pick up on what you are doing differently in comparing when the pan effect works or does not work. But, the best judge of that is for you to observe closely the steps that you are taking in these tasks. Let us see if we can help you in that regard.

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Panning problem in Premiere Elements 10
            A.T. Romano Level 7

michaelguy

Please take a look at this Premiere Elements 11 video tutorial on using the Pan and Zoom Tool. Although it is not demo'd with Premiere Elements 10, the principles for this for 11 and 10 are the same.

http://www.lynda.com/Elements-tutorials/Create-motion-path-Pan-Zoom-tool/155171/159494-4.h tml

Also of interest might be

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Pan and zoom to create video-like effect

Please let us know if you see any points along the workflow where you might be detouring?

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Panning problem in Premiere Elements 10
              MichaelGuy Level 1

I got the panning to stay this time by sliding the CTI in the pan and zoom window all the way to the right before adding the second frame back in. It seems to have also solved the related problem of the clip doubling in size after applying the panning effect. Previously I would always shorten the clip back to its original size and that is probably why the second frame was removed from the bin and the screen. Thanks.

• 4. Re: Panning problem in Premiere Elements 10
                A.T. Romano Level 7

MichaelGuy

The Premiere Elements pan and zoom effect as applied with its Pan and Zoom Tool increases the duration of the file to which the pan and zoom effect has been applied. That is the way it is. Shortening the pan and zoom file after it is back in the Premiere Elements workspace can definitely lead to the problems that you reported.

If this increased duration associated with use of the Pan and Zoom Tool is unsatisfactory, then I would suggest that you look into keyframing the Motion Scale property (for Zoom) and Motion Position property (for pan), using Properties Palette/Motion Panel expanded and the Motion Panel's Scale and Position properties.

I would need to study what you have done when you report the following....

I got the panning to stay this time by sliding the CTI in the pan and zoom window all the way to the right before adding the second frame back in. It seems to have also solved the related problem of the clip doubling in size after applying the panning effect.

For now, please use the models in the tutorials cited as guidelines for using the Premiere Elements 10 Pan and Zoom Tool.

Thanks for looking at the issues and working on them. Your follow up was much appreciated.

More later.

ATR