9 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2014 9:58 AM by A.T. Romano

What is the max. allowable length of a Premiere Elements 12 editing file. My current .prel file length is 40.8 MB and it won't let me add any more text.

WaltMaken

Additional details. I'm working in full HD (1920 x 1080). Currently the edited length is 56 min, 17 sec, 6 frames. I have 76 sections with transitions between the sections. I started to put numbers on each section and was able to do 1 and 2. But trying to add 3 thru 76, it does nothing when I try to add the 3. It lets me click on the add default text option, but then does nothing. I'm wanting to identify each of the 76 sections with a simple number. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: What is the max. allowable length of a Premiere Elements 12 editing file. My current .prel file length is 40.8 MB and it won't let me add any more text.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

WaltMaken

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

What are you doing?

a. Are you working in the Expert workspace or the Quick workspace?

b. Are you adding these numbers via separate text titles in the Titler? If so, are you going Text Menu/New Text/Default Text to open the Titler, with the Timeline Indicator at the start of section 1, working on the first title, completing it, and then closing the Titler.

c. Then repeating the above (a through b) after you move the Timeline Indicator to the start of the next section?

Are the numbers going to be for identification purposes for editing only or will these numbers be maintained in the export?

I am wondering if you could use a numbered marker for each of the 76 sections if you do not intend to have these number displayed in the end product. See Markers/Timeline Marker/Set Timeline Marker/Next Available Numbered or Other Numbered and type in the number. More details can be supplied if this sounds like something of interest. I think that you could get as many as 99 numbered markers on that Timeline. Need to verify that.

Please review and consider and then let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: What is the max. allowable length of a Premiere Elements 12 editing file. My current .prel file length is 40.8 MB and it won't let me add any more text.
            WaltMaken Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for your response. I'll answer your questions first, then share an additional "eureka" development

I have Windows 7, 64

Working in the Expert workspace

Adding numbers via separate text files. I'm going Text Menu>New Text>Default Text.

yes, ATTEMPTING to repeat the above, but I was only able to add 1 and 2. When I tried to repeat process and add 3, I did Text Menu>NewText>Default Text, but it wouldn't go into the text editor.

The numbers will be maintained in the export, so that viewers will know where they're at. I'm familiar with the Timeline Markers, but they will not suffice in this situation.

Now for the "eureka" development.

After posting my original question, I went back to editing. I again tried to add a 3 via Text Menu>NewText>Default Text. Again it would not open up the text editor.

Then the "eureka" idea crossed my mind that if I couldn't go left to right and add 3, 4, etc. MAYBE, just maybe, I could go to the end of the timeline and go right to left. So I tried that. 76 worked, then 75, then 74, then 73, then 72. So I stopped to report this very interesting development. I'll go back to editing and see how far I can go by going right to left.

Again, ATR, thanks for your response. If the above "eureka" idea triggers anything on your part as to why, at least at the moment, right to left is working while left to right is not working, let me know.

Thanks,

Walt

• 3. Re: What is the max. allowable length of a Premiere Elements 12 editing file. My current .prel file length is 40.8 MB and it won't let me add any more text.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Walt

Good news and bad news.

The good news is that I had no problems placing a text file with number 1 through 76 over 76 Timeline segments....left to right or right to left.

I set up a Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7 64 bit Timeline with seventy six 44 second clips, each pair with the default video transition, Cross Dissolve.

The typical left to right workflow

a. Timeline Indicator at 00;00;00;00, start of the lineup of seventy six 44 second clips with transitions between the clips.

b. Text Menu/New Text/Default Text

c. After number 1 title created, closed Titler.

d. Moved Timeline Indicator to start of next section, using the Page Down key.

e. Text Menu/New Text/Default Text

f. After number 2 title created, closed Titler.

g. repeats to number 76 title created, closed Titler.

Have your subsequent right to left studies shed any light on what was mishappening in the left to right route?

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 4. Re: What is the max. allowable length of a Premiere Elements 12 editing file. My current .prel file length is 40.8 MB and it won't let me add any more text.
                WaltMaken Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for taking the time to replicate the situation. At the beginning of your comment, you said "You mentioned "The good news is..", but I didn't see a corresponding "The bad news is..."  

A couple more things I should mention, for whatever value they might be. I set the font size to 300, bold, and color the numbers yellow. I make the font display to begin at the end of the previous transition, and to end at the beginning of the subsequent transition. The transition used between segments is the 3D Cube Spin. I have a 10 sec still photo at the beginning, and the transition I use between the end of those 10 seconds and the beginning of the first of 76 video segments is the 3D Curtain.

Also, beginning with 0:00:00:00 and continuing thru 0:56:17:06, I have 76 segments of music, with fade in and fade out on each segment.

So far, I haven't spotted anything about why the right to left is working, but the left to right isn't.

Walt

• 5. Re: What is the max. allowable length of a Premiere Elements 12 editing file. My current .prel file length is 40.8 MB and it won't let me add any more text.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Walt

The bad news was that I could not repeat your left to right results so that I could figure out how we are differing in results on this workflow.

I have not given up. I will do a repeat including more of your details to see if I can hit the spot that is responsible for the left to right not working for you.

Do you have the time (and if you have not already), could you start a new project with the same 76 segments and see if the left to right in the generation of a text title for each segment now works.

Hoping for only good news.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: What is the max. allowable length of a Premiere Elements 12 editing file. My current .prel file length is 40.8 MB and it won't let me add any more text.
                    WaltMaken Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for your suggestion to restart. For the existing project I'm working on, because of the considerable amount of time that it has taken to get to where I'm at, I'll hold off on doing a restart.

However, once I get as far as I can get doing right to left (hopefully all the way down to the 3), then your suggestion is very doable for the shorter version that is already uploaded on YouTube. You can see it at Mark Cannella Coaching Session, Lifts Only, Normal Speed Version - YouTube .  The project I'm working on is a 10-times-slower version of that one already on YouTube. That means that each of those 76 segments is 10 times longer than the one already on YouTube. I'm thinking that if i go back and re-edit that shorter version to add the 1 - 76 numbers, that I'll likely have no problem.

Walt

• 7. Re: What is the max. allowable length of a Premiere Elements 12 editing file. My current .prel file length is 40.8 MB and it won't let me add any more text.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Walt

Thanks for the update.

I had in mind mini test run with say the first 4 or 5 sections of the current 76 sections project just to see if you can create titles left to right for segment 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 of the mini test run. But, if you are in a good place with your present right to left title creation, best go with the course you are on now. But, be on guard, this titles issue may be indicative of a fundamental project issue which may present other types of problems as you try to move forward. Hope not.

We will be watching for your progress.

Best wishes

ATR

• 8. Re: What is the max. allowable length of a Premiere Elements 12 editing file. My current .prel file length is 40.8 MB and it won't let me add any more text.
                        WaltMaken Level 1

ATR,

Well, I was able to add text numbers all the way from segment 76 down to and including segment 15. When I tried to add 14, it did the same thing as when trying to add the 3. i.e. It would let me click on Text Menu>New Text>Default Text, but it would not actually open the text editor. With numbers 1 & 2, and 15 thru 76, the .prel editing file length is 43.0 MB. I went ahead and created an mpg file from the .prel, and the resulting movie file is 4.21 GB big, run length is 0:56:17. It is currently uploading to YouTube and is showing 348 minutes left on the uploading. While you can't see the actual video until the uploading and "processing" is complete, if you go to Mark Cannella Coaching Session, Lifts Only, Slow Motion Version - YouTube , you'll be able to read the comments I've made regarding the number situation.

After I "stalled out" at the number 15, I figured that I'd take what I could get. But it would be nice to know if the 43.0 MB .prel file length is the maximum, or what else might be involved in this matter. Later today, I'll try re-editing the shorter version ( Mark Cannella Coaching Session, Lifts Only, Normal Speed Version - YouTube ) and seeing if I can add all 76 numbers.

Thanks again for your input.

Walt

• 9. Re: What is the max. allowable length of a Premiere Elements 12 editing file. My current .prel file length is 40.8 MB and it won't let me add any more text.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Walt

This is indeed challenging. I am not envisioning any reason for your problem in getting your titles for 1 through 76 left to right or right to left.

I could envoke computer resources were it not for the fact that the problem can be seen left to right as soon as around the 3rd title.

Let us try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and/or the whole 12.0 Folder in which it exists.

In Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, the path is

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

Depending on how that goes, I would like you to open a new project to the Expert workspace.

Then go about creating titles left ot right in the Titler. This project has no media other than the titles that you will be creating.

How many titles can you create?

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR