3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2014 1:40 AM by Peter Spier

Why won't InDesign open?

PattyMo1991 Level 1

On my Windows 7 machine, I downloaded the Creative Cloud application. I downloaded the trial of InDesign CC, and during the installation it "failed" once or twice, but after repeated attempts it "updated" and supposedly installed correctly.

Now when I click to open the program, either InDesign or InDesign 64 bit, the program will load, open for a second, immediately close with no messages of any kind, then the window asking me to either License the Software or Continue Trial pops up. I choose Continue Trial and the window closes, but the program never appears. To compare it to programs such as Photoshop and Premiere Pro CC, when I open these programs the program stays open when the Continue Trial option appears, and when I click it the program continues to stay open and be usable.

I found a help webpage that told me the solution was to completely sign out of my Adobe ID in the Creative Cloud application and sign back in, which I did to no avail. I have also reset my computer numerously.

I had an instant chat message conversation with an Adobe agent who instructed me to do things such as open the program as an administrator, and change the permissions in the security tab of the properties of several Adobe folders in the Common Files of Program Files (x86) folder, but I don't have some the the groups and user names he described nor the ability to change what he said.

I can't be the only one who has had this problem, and I don't see how it can be my fault if Photoshop and Premiere Pro are fine. I am just about ready to give up on Creative Cloud. Can someone please help?

• 1. Re: Why won't InDesign open?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It sounds to me like the program may be having a problem creating the preference files. If you go to Replace Your Preferences  you find the paths to the prefs listed and you can check to see if the folders are there and if anything is in them. Be sure you turn on visibility for hidden and system files in Explorer.

Since this is the trial, I don't think you can run the cleaner tool and reinstall, but you could try making a new user in Win7 (Control Panel > Users), then log in with that new user and see if ID will launch. If it does, delete the InDesign folders in your original User profile (Not in program files), and copy the ones from the new user. It's also possible just deleting those two folders in your original user and restarting ID will work.

The other thing to check is to be sure you have a default printer online as a local printer, not a network printer, the first time ID is launched. You can temporarily set Fax or SPS Writer as the default printer (or Adobe PDF printer, if installed) in Devices and Printers if necessary.

• 2. Re: Why won't InDesign open?
            PattyMo1991 Level 1

I think I followed all your advice properly and it still does the exact same thing. Instantly closes after opening then asks if I want to continue the trial. Holding CTRL ALT SHIFT does nothing. And I deleted the preferences. I see InDesign Defaults but I don't know if I even have SavedData. I guess I don't because I have yet to use the program and save anything? If I somehow need this file would it be downloadable anywhere?

• 3. Re: Why won't InDesign open?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you have InDesign Defaults you should have InDesign SavedData as well. If you look closely at the paths in the link you'll see that the SavedData file is in a different folder. It's under the Local folder in the AppData section of the user profile.

Did you try a different user and check on the printer?