13 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2014 9:33 AM by Peter Spier

Editing text within a frame

IrishEyes Level 1

I have been working on a document for about 12 hours or more and have edited within text frames with little trouble. There is now one text frame (that I have previously edited) which is refusing me access. Can anyone think what this might be and how I can resolve it? I am very fast running out of time for this project.

Thanks

Wendy

• 1. Re: Editing text within a frame
          Migintosh Level 4

Most likely the object (the text frame) is locked. This can happen if you accidentally hit Command L (the shortcut to lock an object) while an object is selected. Select it with the selection tool and go to Object>Unlock All on Spread, or use the shortcut Command Option L. Another possibility is that the object is on a layer that is locked, which you can check in the layers pallet. Last, if the object is on the master page (not sure how you would have accidentally put it there without knowing…), you would also not be able to edit it without releasing it from the master. It would also show on all pages that the master was applied to if that were the case, so there's very little chance that that's the answer.

• 2. Re: Editing text within a frame
            IrishEyes Level 1

I was soooooooooo hoping it was that, but it's telling me that nothing is locked. I still followed your instructions, but alas, same problem

• 3. Re: Editing text within a frame
              IrishEyes Level 1

It's actually letting me draw another text box inside the one that I cannot edit the text in. Does that ring any bells? I have only been using this program since 3am, which makes me, not only a novice, but an exhausted novice at that.

• 4. Re: Editing text within a frame
                Migintosh Level 4

IrishEyes wrote:

I have only been using this program since 3am, which makes me, not only a novice, but an exhausted novice at that.

Nothing like diving right in! I admire your guts.

It could be that the file is damaged, or maybe your copy of InDesign has some bad preferences. Try the steps in these two links and see if it helps. I'd try the IDML thing first, then trash your prefs if it doesn't. If nothing works, can you post some screenshots (click the camera icon in the forum to upload screenshots). Make sure that in InDesign you have Hidden Characters showing (do that in the Type menu) and that the frame edges can be seen (i.e., View>Screen Mode>Normal and View>Extras>Show Frame Edges).

Troubleshooting 101: Export to .idml or .inx to clear file corruption

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

• 5. Re: Editing text within a frame
                  IrishEyes Level 1

Lol, thanks. ID screen shot frame issue.png

Now I'm not going to come across as being so brave. I am so scared of losing the file I have worked so long and hard on that I am scared to do either of those things. I tried the second one but I was not fast enough. Probably because I am still using a trial version and all of the pop ups slow me down.

Thanks for looking at this for me.

• 6. Re: Editing text within a frame
                    IrishEyes Level 1

There are several other frames that look identical to this one that I can still edit. It's just this frame that has blocked me.

• 7. Re: Editing text within a frame
                      Migintosh Level 4

If you save a backup of the file, you can experiment on it safe in the knowledge that you have a copy you can use if the experimenting copy goes wonky. I'm not sure why being fast enough would prevent you from trashing the prefs, unless you mean that you wish you had done it earlier in the process? One thing I can tell you is that the pink highlight of the text suggests you have a missing font. Just for the heck of it, go to Type>FInd Font and see if the missing font warning symbol is listed next to any of your fonts. It looks like a yellow triangle with a ! in the middle. It may not have anything to do with this problem, but I'd want to know just the same.

• 8. Re: Editing text within a frame
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is it possible that frame is on the master page? Or possibly on another layer that is locked (Locked layers don't respond to the unlock all command)?

• 9. Re: Editing text within a frame
                          IrishEyes Level 1

I know about the font issue. I have spent hours fixing the formatting and font issues and this is the last one I need to change. The file I was sent to edit was in InDesign which I had never used but the client wants it edited in InDesign, so I have to use it. I have already edited this frame several times, it just suddenly stopped responding. As for the time thing, the instructions were to press the ctrl+alt+shift keys as soon as the program loaded or it wouldn't give me the option to take the next step. They were right.

I also have no idea how to work with the layers but when I go to the layers icon, it does not show any layers at all.

I'm totally stumped but this has to go in in the next few hours ,

Thank you for trying to help though. I really do appreciate it.

Wend

• 10. Re: Editing text within a frame
                            IrishEyes Level 1

No, Peter. No layers from what I can see.

• 11. Re: Editing text within a frame

ALL documents have at least one layer. Please show us a screen shot of the Layers Panel.

You can embed a screen capture in your post using the camera icon on the web page, like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 12. Re: Editing text within a frame
                                IrishEyes Level 1

indesign screen shot errors.png

There are now at least two text boxes that I cannot edit. This is one of them (with the layers box open as requested)

• 13. Re: Editing text within a frame

Click the little triangle next to the layer name to expand it...

Once expanded you can click the little squares to the right of each object name to select them. I'm thinking you have a large frame that covers the page and it's been turned into a text frame, and if you try clicking in one of the frames you made then look to the upper left corner of the page you will see the blinking cursor.