3 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2014 7:12 AM by rob day

centering text frame into rectangle

tellah

Hi everybody, i'm pretty a new-by with indesign so be kind with me

I was trying to center "2 objects": actually, a text frame inside a colored rectangles. My goal is to have the frame containing the text exactly centered into the main rectangle.

QvHbybd.jpg

As you can see i'd like to be able to center the text frame "Address" into the big cyan rectangle. I could do it manually but the result would be different from the rest of the text frame i have to center (date of birth...and so on).

Thanks for your help people!

• 1. Re: centering text frame into rectangle
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can use the Align panel to align selected object to one another, but I find using ID's smart guides while dragging an object is faster.

That said, you don't really need two frames here. Make a large blue-filled text frame, set the Vertical Justification to Align: Center (add some inset to the top or bottom if you need to tweak a little visually) in the Text Frame Options dialog, and set the paragraph to center aligned.

• 2. Re: centering text frame into rectangle
            Migintosh Level 4

Also keep in mind that whether you use two objects (text frame and colored box) or one text frame like Peter suggested, the positioning of the text is based on the full size of the font, which is measured from the lowest descender to the highest ascender. So, a box with an upper case A and one with a lower case j will have different distances from the top and bottom of the box, so if what you want is an even amount of box around your text, you might have to make an adjustment.

Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 6.26.00 AM.png

All boxes are aligned the same, but not visually centered.

• 3. Re: centering text frame into rectangle
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Text Frame Options also has Baseline Options First Baseline. If your text is upper and lower case or all small caps, an x Height Offset will adjust for ascenders and descenders when centering the line of text.

Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 10.11.50 AM.png