6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2015 9:24 AM by wannabef

Has anyone solved or worked around the After Effects CC red flash frame glitch?

Keith Dennis

I can't find any mention on any forums of the After Effects CC red flash frame glitch later than Feb. 2014. I just installed 12.2 (which was my first CC version) on my macpro and started getting the red flash frames randomly, but with increasing frequency, in my projects. I have never had this problem before on any previous computer or version for AE. The forums I've read have referenced ProRes source footage, outputs to ProRes, and lens blur. My project uses all of these things.

If there is a universally accepted solution/work around, I haven't seen it definitively. Do I not use ProRes source footage? Do I not render to ProRes 4444? Do I not use the lens blur effect? Do I give up and go back to CS6?

• 1. Re: Has anyone solved or worked around the After Effects CC red flash frame glitch?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make sure your AE is completely up to date. Flush disk cache often. Render to a DI (digital intermediate) to a production codec and compress for delivery using the Adobe Media Encoder.

• 2. Re: Has anyone solved or worked around the After Effects CC red flash frame glitch?
            Keith Dennis Level 1

Thank you for the quick response, Rick. My problem is I'm rendering videos to use in other AE projects, so I want to isolate the problem. Is it rendering from ProRes (422 or 4444) or rendering to a ProRes codec or both? It only happens where the lens blur effect is used, so is that a part of the problem?

• 3. Re: Has anyone solved or worked around the After Effects CC red flash frame glitch?
              Keith Dennis Level 1

In order to help anyone else, who like me is still having the After Effects CC red frame glitch, even with the most up to date version which is currently 12.2, Here are the results of my tests:

I received red frames when my source material was animation codec rendering to ProRes 4444. I also got red frames when rendering from ProRes 422 to a PNG sequence. I did not try Rick's suggestion of rendering from an Intermediate codec because my expert told me that the quality wasn't high enough for what I am doing. But I will try that and report back my findings.

What did prevent the red frames was turning off the effects "lens blur" and "keylight." So it appears that it is those effects (and perhaps others) that are the culprit. I could work around keylight, but I don't have any acceptable alternatives for lens blur, so my solution is to do this particular work in CS6 and hope that Adobe is continuing to try to solve this problem in CC.

• 4. Re: Has anyone solved or worked around the After Effects CC red flash frame glitch?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Current version as of 5/31/14

Screen Shot 2014-05-31 at 11.02.21 AM.png

Is Quicktime up to date? Did you flush cache before your render? What is your OS version? I'm having no problems rendering to ProRez from any app and cannot reproduce your error.

• 5. Re: Has anyone solved or worked around the After Effects CC red flash frame glitch?
                  Michael-Berlin

Hi Keith,

I have the "same" issue with the red frames in AFX CC

I have seen them first, as I resized a prores4444 HD to a smaller format and saw the redframes in the preview window.

Setup in AFX: I created a comp from the HD Prores4444 footage and put this comp in a comp with resolution of 960x540.

The output format was again prores4444.

I shuttled through the clips in the small comp and I saw the red frames too.

When I switched to the HD comp at the same position everything was fine.

I "solved" the problem by flushing the cache, twice. Because after the first purge I was only able to render the first clip. The second one had the red frame problematic again.

Maybe It has something to do with hardware accelerated layers.

I'm using a MacPro running OSX 10.8.5 with a Nvidia GTX680.

Cheers

Michael

• 6. Re: Has anyone solved or worked around the After Effects CC red flash frame glitch?
                    wannabef

I am having a related issue, but possibly more vexing. I am working from ProRes 422 source footage in compositions sent via Automatic Duck XMLs, rendering back to ProRes 422. I noticed a random red flash on one of my renders. I get them fairly often in Premiere Pro CC and Media Encoder, so I assumed some simple changes and re-rendering would fix the problem. Sure enough, the red flash showed up again on the exact same frame. I checked that frame in the comp. It's there pre-render as well. I turned off all other layers and removed all effects. Still there. I opened the layer. The red frame is there. Then I opened the source clip from the project pane. The red flash is there, too. But if I reveal the source footage in the Finder and open in QT, there's no flash.

Ideas?