8 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2014 8:27 AM by A.T. Romano

fade out for a while

Koolmees37

I have Elements 12 and Windows 8.1 64.

I like to fade out the sound in the middle of a clip for just a short time. After that I will go back to the normal level. How can I do such things?

• 1. Re: fade out for a while
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

The best way to do that is using the Audio Mixer. See Expert workspace, Tools Menu/Audio Mixer.

AudioMixer.JPG

Basically what you are going to do is run the Timeline with the Audio Mixer opened and adjust the slider for the audio track that you are using. Remember 0 dB is not no sound. It represents the volume at which the audio was originally recorded. The + values for dB increases the Volume, while  the - dB lowers the Volume. That - infinity is no sound. Use of the Audio Mixer involves automatic keyframing of the Volume property so that you can vary the Volume level across the audio clip without applying the Volume change to the whole clip.

There are other ways to do this. But let us see how you do with this Audio Mixer feature.

For any Volume adjust in Premiere Elements 12, keep in mind, select clip first, then....Tools Menu/Audio Mixer.

Another route is keyframing the Volume in the Adjusts Tab/Adjustments Palette/Volume Panel expanded route.

Still another route is keyframing Volume at the "Timeline Rubberband" level of the audio clip.

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Mixing audio and adjusting volume

One approach at a time.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 2. Re: fade out for a while
            Koolmees37 Level 1

Maybe I don't understand it well, but I mean:

I have a videoclip with sound and I l like to fade out a part of the sound of the clip. After one minute I like to fade in the audio in the same clip. Maybe you can make it more clear for me.

• 3. Re: fade out for a while
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What do you mean by "part of the sound?"

• 4. Re: fade out for a while
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

I am going to detour in methodology to see if keyframing at the audio clip's rubberband will be easier. If not, we will go back to my first choice the Audio Mixer for the task.

In this demo, I have my audio on Audio Track 1 and selected/highlighted.

1. Place the Timeline Indicator at the spot on the Timeline about 20 seconds before where you want the Fade Out to start. Click on the diamond shape under Audio 1 (track name). That will place a white dot on the orange line that is running horizontally across the clip. That orange band is called rubberband. You have just placed a Volume keyframe. The Volume level at that spot will be 0 dB (normal Volume of the clip).

2. Move the Timeline Indicator 20 seconds later on the Timeline. Click on the diamond shape under Audio 1 (track name). That will place a white dot on the orange line (rubberband). With your mouse cursor, click and drag that second white dot down at that time spot to the bottom. You have just placed a Volume keyframe and set it a no sound (-infniity). The slope between the first and second keyframes placement will give you that Fade Out effect. You can fine tune the Fade Out by moving the white dots around with your mouse cursor.

3. Then move the Timeline Indicator to the right where you want the Volume to Fade In. Click on the diamond shape under Audio 1 (track name). This will place a white dot on the orange line (rubberband). Anothe Volume keyframe (that third white dote that you see in the screenshot). Since we are not moving this one up, the Volume there is -infinity (no sound). Now move the Timeline Indicator 20 seconds forward from that spot. Click on the diamond shape under Audio 1 (track name). This will place another white dot on the orange line (rubberband). For this white dot, with the mouse cursor click drag it upward at that time spot to the normal Volume level (try for 0 dB or very close to it).

At the end, the keyframed audio clip and its Volume keyframes (white dots) will look like this

VolumeKeyframe.JPG

Did that help and give good results or time to go back to the Audio Mixer whose description I gave in a prior post?

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: fade out for a while
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

I thought that you were very clear in your question. So I do not understand the question posted in post number 3 by Peru Bob. I just saw that after I had posted my how to in post 4.

Please let me know if I have misinterpreted what you are asking and overlooked something that Peru Bob has seen.

You can gauge my interpretation by the direction of the how to screenshot. Is that consistent with what you seek?

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: fade out for a while
                    Koolmees37 Level 1

Hi Peru Bob, see the answer of A.T. Romano. This was what I meant.

• 7. Re: fade out for a while
                      Koolmees37 Level 1

It works!!!! Many thanks for helping so fast every time!!!!!

• 8. Re: fade out for a while
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

Great news "It works!!!!". Thank you for looking at and trying the suggestion for the fades.

If you decide you want details on alternative routes to creating this fades, please do not hesitate to ask.

But, the "rubberband" route seems the quickest and easiest.

Best wishes as you move forward with your projects.

ATR