1 2 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2014 10:23 AM by A.T. Romano

Format for watching on HD television

Koolmees37 Level 1

I have made my whole film, but what is the best format for exporting the film for watching on HD television (HD ready)?

• 1. Re: Format for watching on HD television
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit

Please remind me what project settings are involved in this situation.

See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields look grayed out).

Generally the Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD and one of the .mp4 presets give good results. Once I know the project settings, I will give you customized settings to explore.

More later.

ATR

• 2. Re: Format for watching on HD television
            Koolmees37 Level 1

My settings of the project are:

settings 1.jpgsettings 2.jpgsettings 3.jpg

One more thing: what is the difference between MP4 and M2T?  I see in both formats 1920 x 1080?

• 3. Re: Format for watching on HD television
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

Thanks for the details which indicate that you have a 1080i25 project.

Does the player for this HDTV support

a. Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc

b. DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc

c. a .mpg, .mp4, .mov, or .m2t file on a USB Flash Drive or memory card

If Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc, then

Publish+Share

Disc

Blu-ray

with preset at H.264 1920 x 1080i PAL Dolby

If DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD, disc

with preset at PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

(with this choice, you may have to right click the video before export, select Field Options, and select Reverse Field Dominance if you run into a problem where you see unwanted lines especially in areas of greatest motion...details of the why a possibility to follow if necessary).

File on USB Flash Drive

Player user manual information/verification on format support is essential. Depending on what the player specifications show....

I would probably first look at Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25 to get an AVCHD.mp4 file and let the TV player take care of the playback result.

For experimental purposes, you could compare with

a. Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = M2T H264 1920 x 1080i25

(.mp4, .mov, avi, and wmv are more often supported by player than .m2t type, but....)

or

b. Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = HDTV 1080i25 High Quality

(This will give you a file with MPEG2 video compression with a .mpg file extension.)

Under the Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD, .m2t and .mp4 are what are called wrapper/container formats that wrap the file's compression. Both choices would use AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video compression.

Under the Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG, .m2t and .mpg are the wrapper/container format possibilities. There MPEG2 HD video compression for .m2t and .mpg choices.

Please review the overview and then let us know if clarification is needed for any of the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                Koolmees37 Level 1

I will play the film on a media player. I think the player will support all the mentioned formats. But I noticed that for a film of 2 hours it will be a file of 30 GB, so it is very big. I don't know if the player can handle such big files.

• 5. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

I think your export decisions will be influenced by those TV player specifications.

Some of these players come with power saving automatic TV turn off time. If you have not already, you may want to

look for such a feature and determine the extent to which you can adjust that time to prevent unwanted TV shut offs.

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                    Koolmees37 Level 1

I tried 20 minutes of film (3,5 GB), but it is too much for my network. I always watch DVD's wireless, but this film is too much. Video and audio falters. When I copy it to the HD of the media player it is fine and than is MP4 of good quality. The network is not a problem of this software of course (or you must have advices for it?)

• 7. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

Good news that you get playback of the file after you have copied it to the player's hard drive. But how are you setting up for this viewing of DVD's wireless and such? Is this related to "mapping a network drive" such as described in the following article or something else?

How to Map a Network Drive | Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and XP Tutorials

I am guessing on this, but I am suspecting that your issue could be the number of connections on the network rather than the size of the file involved here? Is that a possible explanation?

ATR

• 8. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                        Koolmees37 Level 1

I do it on another way. I share a partion in my network. So the mediaplayer use the shared map.

But I am wondered that I can play whole DVD's without problems, but this film ( even a piece of it) give problems in the network.

• 9. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

One mini test that might support or not support the thoughts that the size of the file is at issue, how about going back to your Premiere Elements project, making a copy of it (File Menu/Save A Copy), cut the copy project content down to 1/4 or 1/2 the size of the original, and then export that reduced size project as you did the original. Then determine if you now get the playback that you seek.

More later.

ATR

• 10. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                            Koolmees37 Level 1

See what I wrote yesterday:

I tried 20 minutes of film (3,5 GB), but it is too much for my network. I always watch DVD's wireless, but this film is too much. Video and audio falters. When I copy it to the HD of the media player it is fine and than is MP4 of good quality. The network is not a problem of this software of course (or you must have advices for it?)

So the file size is not the issue, it is the format, I think.

By the way: uploading to Youtube or Facebook is impossible, but that's another issue.

• 11. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

Please remind me the exact export (format) details that you are using when you get the results

a. playback not possible via your network set up

and

b. uploads to YouTube or Facebook impossible at the YouTube web site....if you have a 20 minute Timeline,

YouTube is not going to accept that at its web site unless you have established an extended time account beforehand

with it. I am not sure about Facebook limits. Let us focus on YouTube for now.

More later.

ATR

• 12. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                Koolmees37 Level 1

My output is mp4, MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25. it is a little film of 3 minutes and Youtube and Facebook refused. I did on Youtube films of 2 hours without problems. I published this clip on Youtube without a problem after saving first on my disk. So the error is in the Adobe itself, it seems.

• 13. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

What was the error message from YouTube and Facebook for this 3 minute AVCHD.mp4 file refusal?

I see no reason why YouTube would refuse a 3 minute AVCHD.mp4 file (1920 x 1080p25) as an upload which

is uploaded at the YouTube web site.

ATR

• 14. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                    Koolmees37 Level 1

The error for Facebookis:

facebook.jpg

• 15. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

Thanks for the screenshot.

I do not work with Facebook at all. But there should be no facebook.ols.adobe.com involved in what you are doing.

In the case of Facebook, are you uploading your .mp4 video from the computer hard drive save location to Facebook at the Facebook web site? If so, Facebook should have no idea where your .mp4 was created? So, why is the ....adobe.com coming into your message? Here are the details for upload of photos and videos at the Facebook web site

https://www.facebook.com/help/videos/uploading

What is the YouTube message saying? I have worked with YouTube often so I might relate to that message better.

Please review.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 16. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                        Koolmees37 Level 1

I can upload to Facebook after saving the file on my disc. But it is a possibility within the program, but it does not work (a bug?).

I tried Youtube once again and now I succeeded so it was an incident.

But the social media were not so important. I don't know why I can't share within my network. I can share bigger files without problems.

• 17. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

But, what are the formats of these bigger files that do work with your network setup?

We should be able to customize the export settings of Premiere Elements to match the format settings for those

that are working with your network.

ATR

• 18. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                            Koolmees37 Level 1

It is a file now of 27 GB. I can play films of 4.5 GB or 9 GB without any problem.  But even with a piece of the big file (3.5 GB) is playing impossible.

• 19. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

What I was looking for were the properties of those files that are succeeding, like films 4.5 GB or 9 GB

video compression

audio compression

frame size

frame rate

interlaced or progressive

file extension

pixel aspect ratio

If file size is not the answer to your playback problems, then the file's compressions and the file's wrapper format represented by the file extension need to be looked at.

Do you have that information?

ATR

• 20. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                                Koolmees37 Level 1

Is is very different. I have all my DVD's on my computer and most of them are ISO-files of VOB-files. So I don't see a connection with it.  I can try to export the film to another format, maybe that gives a solution?

• 21. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

If I knew all the properties of what this problem file has, I could be more helpful. What is this problem file - 1920 x 1080 as AVCHD.mp4 or AVCHD.m2t or MPEG2.m2t or MPEG2.mpg or something else?

But, if you have a plan for looking at another format, we will await the results to see where that leads us in the troubleshooting.

Thanks.

ATR

• 22. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                                    Koolmees37 Level 1

I understood you wrong I 'm afraid. This is the information of the big file.

1.jpg

• 23. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

Thanks for the screenshot, always good to be looking at the Tree View of the properties readout (where you see more details), but this information is helpful. (if we ever need the Tree View, go to MediaInfo View Menu/Tree View.)

In your look at different formats, please try the Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with the preset HDTV 1080i25 High Quality to get a MPEG2.mpg file.

On the files that are working what is the file extension of those files, .iso or something else?

Please remind me what specific Panasonic player you are using. If you want, I will do some look ups on it.

Thanks.

ATR

• 24. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                                        Koolmees37 Level 1

I converted to MPEG and than I can watch the film via my network. But of course not with the right format on television. So the problem is in MP4?

By the way: I don't use a Panasonic player. I use mediaplayer Eminent 7180.

• 25. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

I had a chance to read some details for your Media Player Eminent 7180.

Just a few points of clarification...when you select the "MPEG" (presumed MPEG2 HD.mpg) for playback and watch that video file via your network, where is the display - on the monitor of your computer or on a TV screen of TV set?

Thanks.

ATR

• 26. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                                            Koolmees37 Level 1

I watch on my television screen.

• 27. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                                              Koolmees37 Level 1

If you don't know the answer please let me know. Than I will look for other solutions.

• 28. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

Sorry for the delayed response. Your thread got lost in the daily thread traffic here as well as in email notifications.

I do not have your computer environment, player, and network set up to be able to say "this is the answer". I can only be the

back seat driver to see if we can put your details together to come up with how, if possible, to resolve

the playback problems that you are having for your Premiere Elements derived videos.

1. Please call Eminent Support to get the final word on video file size limits for its player when it is used via its hard drive as well

as when it is accessed from a network.

http://www.eminent-online.com/en/product/861/hdmedia-rt2-hd-media-player---for-internal-ha rddisk.html

2. We need to sort out the following that you wrote

It is a file now of 27 GB. I can play films of 4.5 GB or 9 GB without any problem.  But even with a piece of the big file (3.5 GB) is playing impossible.

Hard Drive of the Player vs the Network Connection, either one going to TV playback....

A. Hard Drive of Player to TV....what is playing back Premiere Elements MPEG2.mpg and AVCHD or H.264.mp4 and up to what file size for the video?

B. Network Connection to Player to TV....what is playing back Premiere Elements MPEG2.mpg and AVCHD or H.264.mp4 and to what file size limits?

Now in context with the quote above about 4.5 or 9 GB video that play back without issue....what is that specific video

A. Is the 4.5 or 9 GB video MPEG2.mpg or AVCHD or H.264.mp4

and

B. Is the 4.5 or 9 GB video file playing on your TV ONLY if you have it on the player hard drive and not doing a network connection?

Same type of definition needed for the 27 GB file that you cite.

3. There are other possibiities...a H.264.mov export from Premiere Elements, adjustment of bitrate under Advanced Button of Preset to lower the Bitrate to lower the file size, etc. But, best we sort out what we have already and then move on accordingly.  The part of your information that is particularly challenging is

"But even with a piece of the big file (3.5 GB) is playing impossible."

We will be watching for further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 29. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                                                  Koolmees37 Level 1

The answer of Emionet is that is has to do with codecs and they refer to the last update. But I have the last update and I don't think it has to do with codes, because I can play the film on the hard disc of the player. I am waiting for their next answer.

• 30. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

Thanks for your follow up.

It is interesting that the player company offered an explanation even if it did not seem to hold up in your particular situation.

We will be watching for future developments, involving its reply to latest update and still problem.

Thanks.

ATR

• 31. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                                                      Koolmees37 Level 1

The answer of Eminent after sending the data of the file:

Unfortunately, the bitrate is too high for the EM7180 to process. The streaming of this film 2200KB / s is about the maximum time span attainable with this chipset, which is about 20Mbit, which corresponded to the most 'fast' internet connections then came the EM7080/EM7180 about three years ago the market. There is unfortunately no technically feasible higher speed.

• 32. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmess37

Thanks for the update with the Eminent reply to your network player issue with Premiere Elements source video.

Please let me know if I am interpreting this report correctly....when you produced this video for playback via your network and EM7180, what did you use?

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p25 and under Advanced Button/Video Tab what was set for the Bitrate - 32 Mbps (Target) and 42 Mbps (Max) or something else?

If you used the defaults 32/40, you may not need that high a Bitrate to get the end product quality that you seek. So, what happens if you take the Target to 16 Mbps and the Max to 20 Mbps,  can you play back this Bitrate adjusted video with good quality via your network and EM7180?

Typically, lower the bitrate, lower the file size, lower the quality. But, let us see if this is a viable consideration.

Thanks.

ATR

• 33. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                                                          Koolmees37 Level 1

In the advanced settings I see this:

1.jpg

So the default of 32 or 40.  I don't know where I can change this value to 16 or 20, but when I will lose quality, than I prefer to play from the harddisk of the media player.

• 34. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmess37

You are displaying what is under the Multiplexer Tab under the Advanced Button of the Preset select.

Click on the Video Tab instead. Then look to the Bitrate Settings area where the defaults are 32 Target and 40 Maximum. Type in or move the sliders to get the suggested 16 and 20 respectively. The thing is not to presume a lesser quality, but to see if you get the same quality or not. You may or may not see a quality loss. Also, explore the values in between 16 - 32 (Target) as well as 20 - 40 (Maximum).

BitrateQA.JPG

Thanks.

ATR

• 35. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                                                              Koolmees37 Level 1

I don't have a possibility for a custom setting???1.jpg

• 36. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

Thanks for the follow up. I believe that we are out of sync in the communications. So let us see if we are OK with the details being exchanged.

Video Tab, not Multiplex Tab nor Audio Tab, has been our target.

Details.....

In your latest post (numbered 35), you write "I don't have a possibility for a custom setting???"

Why are you in the Audio Tab section of a M2T H.264 1920 x 1080i25 export instead of in the Video Tab?

If you really want to adjust the audio export settings (including Audio Bitrate) for that particular preset, scroll down further there in the Audio Tab area.

AudioBitrate.JPG

And, you probably arrived at the above Audio Tab via Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = M2T H.264 1920 x 1080i25.

But, we have not been discussing Audio Bitrate; we have been discussing Video Bitrate. So your shift in focus has confused me.

In post 34, we were in Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25

There I suggested Advanced Button/Video Tab settings for you to try to determine if the export using them would yield

a file that could be used in your network video playback setup. Please refer to the screenshot in post 34.

Since then I have been waiting for your Video Tab/Bitrate results, all relating back to posts 32 and 34. This all started in post 32 when I wrote:

Please let me know if I am interpreting this report correctly....when you produced this video for playback via your network and EM7180, what did you use?

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p25 and under Advanced Button/Video Tab what was set for the Bitrate - 32 Mbps (Target) and 42 Mbps (Max) or something else?

If you used the defaults 32/40, you may not need that high a Bitrate to get the end product quality that you seek. So, what happens if you take the Target to 16 Mbps and the Max to 20 Mbps,  can you play back this Bitrate adjusted video with good quality via your network and EM7180?

When all is said and done, my goal is for you to look at different Bitrates under the Video Tab of whatever preset you are selecting and determine if you can find a lower video Bitrate that will

a. lower the file size

b. maintain quality

and

c. allow for playback of the export via your network video playback setup.

Please focus again on Advanced Button/Video Tab of preset selected.

Thanks.

ATR

• 37. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                                                                  Koolmees37 Level 1

I sent you the wrong picture: 1.jpg

• 38. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Koolmees37

Thanks for the follow up. From your screenshot, it looks like you are in the Advanced Button/Video Tab Export Settings customization area for Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = M2T - H.264 1440 x 1080i25. Have you scrolled down to the Bitrate Settings toward the bottom of that Export Settings customization area so that you can see the default settings for you to lower in the search for an export file with a lower bitrate that will play back via your network playback setup?

VideoBitrate-1.jpg

If you are OK now with where to change the Bitrate Settings, then we will be watching for your results to see if the lowered

bitrate will now allow you to play the file via your network setup.

ATR

• 39. Re: Format for watching on HD television
                                                                                      Koolmees37 Level 1

I did it on that way, but there is no difference: video and audio falters.

1 2 Previous Next