6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2014 11:54 AM by Eannr

Slow motion graphics in AE

Eannr

Hi, Im fairly new to to After Effects and am trying to find my way around. I am trying to recreate this chaps opening sequence. http://vimeo.com/57645575 (Just his first 10 seconds) where he manages to roll the text in and slow it down at the same time. Its just the slow down part im struggling with. He used Final Cut Pro but i assume its also do-able in AE. Im sure this is fairly easy but i cant find anything on slowing down graphics online. Lots on slowing down footage but nothing on slowing down an animation. Any help is much appreciated

• 1. Re: Slow motion graphics in AE
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Speed depends on the distance between keyframe and the curve of the graph editor if you only use two keyframes. This is basic animation technique. Please read up.

Screen Shot 2014-05-31 at 4.32.13 PM.png

• 2. Re: Slow motion graphics in AE
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> i cant find anything on slowing down graphics online. Lots on slowing down footage but nothing on slowing down an animation.

Are you finding that applying the techniques described for footage aren't working for graphics? If so, please be specific about where you're hitting problems.

General re-timing features are discussed here:

After Effects Help | Time-stretching and time-remapping

• 3. Re: Slow motion graphics in AE
              bogiesan Level 4

Eannr wrote:

Lots on slowing down footage but nothing on slowing down an animation.

Welcome to the family. AE is big, really big. You have no idea how big.

These are two easy ways to slow down animations. They have different results but they are easy and then you can start to experiment on your own.

1. Make your composition using a frame rate of 60 or 120 frames/second. Render. Import the movie and place it in your new comp. Use time remapping controls to adjust the playback speed in your new comp. The higher frame rate allows fabulously buttery smooth slow motion.

2. Precomp the layers (look it up and learn it, it's a basic tool you will use all the time) your timeline. Apply time remapping to the precomp.

Try to enjoy learning AE. It's hard.

• 4. Re: Slow motion graphics in AE
                Eannr Level 1

Thanks Rick,

I wasn't aware that was there but its helped.

• 5. Re: Slow motion graphics in AE
                  Eannr Level 1

Hi Todd,

Ricks suggestion put me intouch with the Speed Graph Editor which has helped. I think im going to be spending a fair bit of time with trial and error and  a steep learning curve.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Slow motion graphics in AE
                    Eannr Level 1

Hi bogiesan,

Your right AE is huge. I managed to solve my query by experimenting with the Speed Graph editor. Not as precise as I wanted but  I think thats me rather than the method used. Ive been getting used to Pre-Comping as im going and im sure i'll pick up all the nuances as I delve deeper into AE. Thanks for the reply.