3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2014 1:05 PM by Kjonnnn58

How do I  save Photoshop Document to .pdf without losing pixels.

Kjonnnn58 Level 1

How do I  save Photoshop Document to .pdf without losing pixels.

When I create a photoshop document that has a width of 2550px and height of 3300px at 300 ppi and I "SAVE AS" a .pdf, I get a .pdf document that has a width of 615px and height of 792.

The .pdf is set for a High Quality (Modified), with nothing checked the GENERAL tab, and in the COMPRESSION tab, "Do Not Downsample" is selected with Compression at .jpg and Quality on High.

When I look at the file info in Bridge it shows the reduced pixels. And I sent the .pdf to someone to print and the quality was low res. Ive just recently switched to CS6 everything. I think I remember this issue when I was using CS3, but somehow I fixed it, but I can't remember what I did.

Why am I losing pixels dimensions?

• 1. Re: How do I  save Photoshop Document to .pdf without losing pixels.
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

What was the physical image size in Photoshop?  For instance, if it was set to something like 6 inches x 4 inches at a resolution of 600dpi, then the PDF preset would down sample contained images.

Generally speaking, always save Photoshop images using one of the High Quality print presets, and definitely don't flatten before doing so.  This is especially important if you have any Type layers.

• 2. Re: How do I  save Photoshop Document to .pdf without losing pixels.
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

We will need to know the exact PDF settings used.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: How do I  save Photoshop Document to .pdf without losing pixels.
              Kjonnnn58 Level 1

Here is every detail, I hope. 

Photoshop Image Size

Pixel Dimensions

Width = 2550px

Height = 3300px

Document Size

Width = 8.5 inches

Height = 11 inches

Resolution = 300 pixels/inch

SAVE AS PHOTOSHOP PDF

1. Uncheck LAYERS

SELECTIONS:

GENERAL

Adobe Preset - I've tried High Quality Print and Press Quality

Standard - None

Compatibility - Acrobat 5 (pdf 1.4), BUT I've tried all the options

Options - Uncheck Preserve Photoshop Editing, and Embed Page Thumbnail, Optimize for Fast Web Viewing... although I've tried variations of check and unchecked.

COMPRESSION

Options - Do Not Downsample, but I have tried the other options

Compression - JPEG

Image Quality - I always use Maximum and High

OUTPUT

Color - Color Conversion - No Conversion

Nothing changed on SECURITY.

I have plenty of Photoshop documents, where Ive "saved as" a .pdf and the pixel dimensions DID NOT CHANGE, so I know my issue is not the norm.  I've tried to check all possible options within Photoshop and can not figure what is dropping it from 300 ppi to 72ppi

As I'm writing this I did a test document.   The psd is 65.74MB 2550 x 3300, 8.5 x 11 at 300ppi

As viewed in Bridge, the .pdf turned out to be 10.11MB, 612 x 792  ... doesnt show ppi    But 612 x 792 is what the pixels would be at 72ppi.

I hope this explains better.  Help.