6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2014 12:13 PM by tmoviemakerfx

After effects cs 5.5 not responding when I open up a project file

tmoviemakerfx

I was recently working on an intro for a youtube channel and my project had been running smoothly the night before.  But now all of a sudden I open it up today and it starts not responding when I try and open the file.  It is running on a mac with 8 GB of memory and a 2.1 GHz intel i7 processor, I have no idea what's happening and I really need help.  Thank you for your time.

• 1. Re: After effects cs 5.5 not responding when I open up a project file
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I have no idea what's happening

Neither do we. Your info is at best vague since you have not provided any info about what is actually contained in the project in terms of source footage, effects, comps and their settings and so on. Also anything from disk caches to MP render settings could be relevant as well as info whether AE actually opens by itself runs fine and opens other projects without issues. So for what it's worth - we need to know a lot more. That aside you might wanna read up on how to use incremental saving and backups to avoid exactly such situations (assuming it's not an issue with AE itself)...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After effects cs 5.5 not responding when I open up a project file
            tmoviemakerfx Level 1

I can understand that my info was vague, but I am as well a novice in after effects.  I have a good bit of experience with it, but not a professional standard.  I have 1 video file of average length, a photoshop file, and a word layer, no other effects really.  My comp size is 1280 by 720, and I don't know what other info I could give.  My other projects run fine, it seems to just be this one now that you mention it.  Should I try starting a new project and just working off of that?  I can understand that you need to know a lot more, but I was also just asking a general question because I felt that it might be common issue of a setting that I may have had to change, so I'm sorry my info was so vague, but that was my reasoning.  I don't believe that saving and backups are my problem, but if you believe it's a means to the solution then by all means please justify that.  Thank your for your time and help.

Trey

• 3. Re: After effects cs 5.5 not responding when I open up a project file
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If all of a sudden you cannot open a file then something probably happened to the file or your system. If other files still open then either your project was corrupted or you added an effect that prevents the file from opening. If you have other projects that use the same kind of footage and they also will not open then you probably installed some new software that is causing a conflict. When you diagnose a problem with any kind of software you have to start with some details. You told us nothing about your project in your first post and only that you have a simple comp with 3 layers in the second post. I am guessing that the .aep file has been corrupted, but if you start a new comp and add the same piece of footage and a text layer and the photoshop file, then save the project and try and re-open it and AE will not respond, then you either installed something new or the footage or the Photoshop file or the font you used is corrupted.

• 4. Re: After effects cs 5.5 not responding when I open up a project file
                tmoviemakerfx Level 1

I did try making another project and putting the same aspects into it, but when I started importing a second video it started to freeze and crashed.  That is the most I can help with details, I'm sorry.

• 5. Re: After effects cs 5.5 not responding when I open up a project file
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ok, now we need to know all about that video. There's something going on with the codec used or the file is corrupted. If you can open the video in Premiere Pro or Adobe Media Encoder try transcoding it to a production format like QuickTime JPEG 2000 or QuickTime PNG.

• 6. Re: After effects cs 5.5 not responding when I open up a project file
                    tmoviemakerfx Level 1

The video is 1.36 GB in size.  The format is MPEG-4 or .mp4 whichever you prefer, it's the same thing.  Dimensions are 1280 by 720.  Codecs are H.264 and AAC.  Color profile is HD (1-1-1).  Duration is 7 minutes 1 second.  It has 2 audio channels.  I am running all of this on a MacBook Pro 13-inch, early 2011.  Processor is 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7.  8 GB memory.  Graphics is Intel HD 3000.  Hopefully this helps in any way possible, also I am using After Effects cs 5.5.  I hope that I gave enough information this time, and any help would be greatly appreciated.