6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2014 6:30 AM by entilza

Imported still image looks washed out against original source video

entilza

Hi team,

Total newbie to AE, so please allow for annoying cluelessness.   Using AE 12.2.1.55

I need to "digitally erase" some brand names in a shot. I decided to motion track the shot, and add a transparent layer that has photoshopped "blobs" that covered the brand names.

In AE I take the original Prores 4444 file, then go to Composition -> Save Frame As -> Photoshop Layers to export a still frame.  Then in PS (using sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile) I load the PSD, and proceeded to make layers where I drew over the top of the brand names on the still. I turn off the original background layer, leaving only "floating" painted objects on a transparent background. The work was a close match in photoshop and almost undetectable to my eye.

But when I re-import the PSD into AE as a layer with no adjustments, I get the result below (specifically, the pink blobs where they should be almost invisible red blobs):

gamma-problem-eg.jpg

It is as if the gamma is out, or a color profile is wrong.  But I do not know how that could be, given the process I used above hasn't changes any levels, gammas or settings. I also tried importing as a PNG in case there was a bug with the PSD import, but it's the same result.

Does anyone know what is going on here?  Any suggestions on how to fix?

Thanks!

Ent

• 1. Re: Imported still image looks washed out against original source video
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

But I do not know how that could be, given the process I used above hasn't changes any levels, gammas or settings.

Sure it has. AE by default is unmanged like most video apps are. Assigning any color profiles in PS therefore will require to use the same profiles in AE for correct results. That and of course merely assigning a specific colro profile has nothing to do with proper color management in the first place...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Imported still image looks washed out against original source video
            entilza Level 1

Thanks Mylenium. Any suggestions on how to stop PS from applying color changes and keep it unmanaged? (I might be looking in the wrong place, but in PS I'm going to View -> Proof Setup, and it needs one of the options ticked).

There has to be a straight forward way to do this - I would think exporting a frame for manipulation then reimporting it would be a very common occurrence.

Ent.

• 3. Re: Imported still image looks washed out against original source video
              entilza Level 1

Just checked - in AE when I go to File -> Interpret Footage -> Main with the image file selected, it reports it is using the internal color profile as above (sRGB IEC61966-2.1). So I'm guessing it is using the right profile from PS, unless the very act of doing that puts it at odds with the footage.  But the profile options are greyed out and cannot be edited in AE.  So I guess I'm back at: how do you prevent PS from inserting a profile?  Is that even possible?

• 4. Re: Imported still image looks washed out against original source video
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Simply "turn off" color management in PS by choosing "Monitor Color" and then disabling any profile conversions. Though you can always already set to not embed color profiles in the save dialog. Otherwise you can always set AE to honor color management by enabling it in the project settings and that should fix such issues...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Imported still image looks washed out against original source video
                  entilza Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions Mylenium - they're appreciated.

I tried disabling the color profile in the PSD by selecting "Monitor Color", though there were no conversions. I also tried a REC709 profile, but no success. (Interestingly it does not let me "save" after making these changes, I have to "save as". Perhaps they're not being committed to disk?)

In AE project settings I've tried all the color depths (just to be sure) as well as matching the working space profile to the file.  I also tried "Blend colors using 1.0 Gamma" and "compensate for scene-referred profiles", all without any success

Through all this, I noticed no change in the overlayed images - they all still have the same wrong color.  I would have thought if we were tweaking the profile, there would be some perceptible differences. I don't know if this might be a clue?

Thanks, Ent.

• 6. Re: Imported still image looks washed out against original source video
                    entilza Level 1

Hi all,

Well, I have an outcome, but not an answer. I took the project files to a friend who has a much older version of AE (version 5?). He followed the same procedure and produced a PSD for me, and its color space is fine.  I am using that.

I cannot work out how or why the color space is being a problem - or even if that is the cause.  I've checked the settings and they are the same as his.  I'm guessing the fault is with the initial AE export, because I'm using his PS file - if the fault was with a PS color space, or importing the file back into AE, then I'd expect I would still be experiencing the trouble.

Ent.