3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2014 12:45 PM by A.T. Romano

Newbie problem (3)

ghijohansson

I have started to use PE 12.

The files I export have a tendency to have higher bitrate than those i import. Does this mean that the program does whatever it can to preserve image quality?

Yes, I know that .m2ts files means compressed files. Only a minority of frames have complete information. Most frames only have information about what change has occurred since the previous frame. And when I make a cut, I don't know which frames have complete information, so in all probability I often make my cuts in the "wrong" places. So it would be logical if the program is forced to create new frames with complete information, in those places where I make my cuts.

I am editing a long film. So I have split up the editing among almost 20 different projects. Is there any way for me to import into one project, what I have on the timeline in another project? I guess the answer is no since I found nothing relevant in the manual, but I thought it was best to ask in case I have neglected something.

• 1. Re: Newbie problem (3)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ghijohansson

Regarding

The files I export have a tendency to have higher bitrate than those i import. Does this mean that the program does whatever it can to preserve image quality?

Yes, I know that .m2ts files means compressed files. Only a minority of frames have complete information. Most frames only have information about what change has occurred since the previous frame. And when I make a cut, I don't know which frames have complete information, so in all probability I often make my cuts in the "wrong" places. So it would be logical if the program is forced to create new frames with complete information, in those places where I make my cuts

The bottom line is that the export preset comes with default settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab. You can adjust the settings, including Bitrate, in the Export Customization area under Video Tab and/or Audio Tab. And, keep in mind that bitrate can be set for variable or constant. Are you OK with the concept of variable or constant bitrate? Also, if you want to cut frame by frame, change the display from timecode to frames at the same time that the Timeline has been expanded with the -+ slider above the Timeline. You can change the display from timecode to frames under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General or simply hold down the Ctrl key as you click on the timecode above the Timeline.

Regarding

I am editing a long film. So I have split up the editing among almost 20 different projects. Is there any way for me to import into one project, what I have on the timeline in another project? I guess the answer is no since I found nothing relevant in the manual, but I thought it was best to ask in case I have neglected something.

You cannot import one project (project.prel file) into another project (project prel.file). The classical approaches to between program transfer include

a. If Windows involved, ClipMate program used in conjunction with Premiere Elements for a copy/paste insert operation as described and detailed in the following link

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: ClipMate Copy/Paste Between Projects

b. Export the Timeline content from one project in a format consistent with the second project. Then import that export into the second project.

Please review the above and then let us know if any of it works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Newbie problem (3)
            ghijohansson Level 1

Many thanks for your answer.

• 3. Re: Newbie problem (3)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ghijohansson

Glad to be of assistance.

As you go through the suggestions and links, please do not hesitate to let me know if you need clarification on anything.

Best wishes

ATR