1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 1, 2014 6:38 PM by Trevor.Dennis

how do I go about paying royalties to design using logos, characters, etc?

kellyjaye1 Level 1

I want to do some designing using copyrighted images (video game, college logos to start). I cant find info on how I go about doing this legally by paying royalties. I find sites telling how to get royalties for my work but nit the other way around. Where might I look to do something like this and what might I expect to pay?

• 1. Re: how do I go about paying royalties to design using logos, characters, etc?
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Sounds like a can of worms to me.  I have a feeling that if you do find the right people to ask, they'll just say no, and yet you see the most famous of logs incorporated in artistic design on a daily basis.   Plus there is the likely cost.  Not the same, but I tracked down the right place to use Fanfare for the Common man as the backing track for a promotional video that would be on YouTube for one year.  There were two fees to pay. A license from Aaron Copland's family who own the rights, and a fee for the orchestra, which together would cost me NZ$1500!  I ended up using something that worked just as well, and cost just $20 for a perpetual license.

So I plan to do what everyone else seems to do nowadays.  Just get on and do it, and take it down if I eventually get a Cease and Desist notice, but not until milking it for all the publicity I could get.