1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 1, 2014 9:38 PM by Dov Isaacs

I am so frustrated!  Why does Adobe InDesign CS5.5 keep crashing while exporting to pdf?

mhancock65

I have just finished compiling a 729 page book and when I go to export to PDF, Adobe InDesign CS5.5 crashes around page 260?  I have already downloaded and installed the patch date 5/2 however the program stops and gives me the massage, " Adobe has detected a serious error and must shut down."  Any ideas of what is happening?

• 1. Re: I am so frustrated!  Why does Adobe InDesign CS5.5 keep crashing while exporting to pdf?
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

One possibility is that you are running out of system virtual memory during the export process. This problem is effectively remedied with the current 64-bit version of InDesign. (InDesign has a 64-bit version beginning with InDesign 9; InDesign 7.5, the version you are using is only 32-bit!)

You might try the following workarounds:

(1)     Prior to exporting PDF, save your document, exit InDesign totally. Then restart InDesign and open the document in question. Do not page through the document. Immediately perform the export operation. This avoids any virtual memory being used during the process of displaying and editing pages as you transverse them on-screen.

(2)     If (1) doesn't work, try exporting multiple ranges of pages and then reassembling the sections in Acrobat.

(3)     Upgrade to InDesign 9 (the Creative Cloud version) and use the 64-bit variant of InDesign.

If either (1) or (2) works, it clearly point to running out of virtual memory. 729 pages in and of itself is not all that long and problematic, unless those pages are graphically rich. If neither (1) nor (2) works, the problem may be an issue with content, especially placed imagery.

- Dov