5 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2007 7:32 AM by HKabaker

Applying template kills topics

Nick_G_M
      When I use RH6 to apply a template to one or more topics, I get the following message:

Notice: Note that the 'book folder' (file extension here) was created to hold the document and its resources.

This causes the topics to be listed as "Missing" in RH, and they're moved to a new folder based on their resepctive topic name.

I'm not sure what to from here... all I wanted was a custom header applied to a group of topics. I can't believe that this is really the way templates are supposed to work.

This is a royal pain 'diaz. Is there a better way or a work around?

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Applying template kills topics
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi Nick G M

Indeed this is a RoboHelp 6 quirk that has been extremely elusive!

Here's the easy way around it. Leave RoboHelp as is. Pop open Windows Explorer. Locate the .Book folder and move the topic(s) back to the original location where RoboHelp expects to find them.

By chance were the affected topic(s) imported from Word?

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Applying template kills topics
            Nick_G_M Level 1
            Where is the book folder? I'm not too familiar with working under the RoboHood... except for skins.

The topics were indeed imported from Word.
            • 3. Re: Applying template kills topics
              RoboWizard Level 4
              Hi Nick

Probably the best way to do this is to look at the properties for a topic. Click the File tab followed by the "Open Folder" button. (drawing from pure memory here, so things may not be labeled exactly as you would see them)

This should get you in the vicinity. Once there, it should be pretty easy to find.

Cheers... Rick
              • 4. Re: Applying template kills topics
                Nick_G_M Level 1
                I've notice that even moving the topics back kills the images in the topics. They're conviently placed in another folder. Moving them back doesn't automatically fix everything though. You have to individually click on a the image from within RoboHelp to reselect it.

Sometimes applying a template doesn't do any of this, and works as expected. Is there some reason the magic book folders are used at times?
                • 5. Re: Applying template kills topics
                  HKabaker Level 2
                  Nick,

Rick asked: By chance were the affected topic(s) imported from Word?
                  Is this a common factor (even though it may not happen to every topic imported from Word)?

When you apply the template, do you

1. Have the topic open and apply the template in the properties dialog?

2a. Have the topic closed and go to the properties dialog from the left frame?

2.b. Have the topic open and go to the properties dialog from the left frame?

3. Have the topic closed and go to the properties dialog from the Topics (right) frame?

4. Select several topics and go to the properties dialog to batch-apply the template?

4a. If batch applying, do you click Apply, then OK, or
                  4b. do you click OK only, or
                  4c. do you click Apply, then (not clicking OK) close the dialog using the X box at top right?

Does the problem occur most often (but not necessarily always) when you use one of these methods but not others?

Harvey