1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 2, 2014 11:26 PM by Migintosh

"correct" way to set up brochure with fold out page

blanko 23 Level 1

We have some brochures which we need both for the web (digital PDF) and on paper (hard copy).

These brochures have a 6-page cover: cover + fold out page.

Because the brochures are updated very frequently, I'm looking for the most efficient workflow to easily prepare PDFs for both the web and hard copy.

I'm not sure how to handle the fold out page.

Our current workflow is to work with 2 INDD files: one for the inner pages, and one for the 6-page cover (already set into imposition).

For web PDF, we combine the lowres exports of both files in Acrobat.

I want to get rid of this workflow and merge everything into one file, because:

- it's a hassle to create / maintain 2 seperate files

- the page numbering is messed up in the web PDF

Suppose i make the document as in the screenshot below, and export a highres files for the printer without spreads. Then how does a printer know what is a regular page, and what is fold out page, to set up his imposition correctly? ('flap' = fold out page)

I shall offcourse discuss this with our printer(s), but i'm curious to what is the "correct" workflow to handle this in InDesign.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated!

Schermafbeelding 2014-06-02 om 14.32.54.png

• 1. Re: "correct" way to set up brochure with fold out page
          Migintosh Level 4

Digital printers can do all sorts of things these days, so maybe they can do booklet imposition with different size pages, but I don't know if that's true or not. I would imagine that if this were a letter-size page, you would use tabloid paper and print two-page spreads, letting the printer do the imposition. The printer would need to have a separate tray for the gate fold page—which I assume would have a three-page spread—and the printer would have to know where these spreads are, and to fold the gates in while inserting them into the booklet. Maybe that's doable, but it seems like a tall order.

On the other hand, if this is being done by a person, you could include the page information (document page, gate page, cover page) in the slug area, and he/she could do the imposition with that in mind. The Web (PDF) portion might be tricky. Do you currently export spreads as single PDF pages? I'm not sure there is a way to export without spreads and be sure the user sees pages in alternating two- then three-page spreads. If seeing pages in the order that Acrobat or Reader decides to put them in is acceptable, then I don't think you have a problem with the PDF side.