9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2014 7:32 AM by Peter Spier

Converting CYMK document to PATONE

Graham1992

My client has come back to me and said that some PDF's I sent him (over 40 individual) were CYMK and some were pantone. He needs them all in Pantone, how do I convert the CYMK files in InDesign cs6?

Also, why would my indesign use different colour settings when I have nerve changed the settings?

Any help asap would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Converting CYMK document to PATONE
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Not every Pantone color has a CMYK equivalent (first of all, there are neon and metallic Pantones; but, more importantly, you cannot mix CMYK to get most of the "regular" colors either).

The reverse, "converting" random CMYK ink mixes to a Pantone ink is also very hard. Not every possible set of CMYK can be translated to one Pantone color.

Using Pantone inks or not is not a question of "presets", InDesign uses what you indicate in the Swatch panel. That is the first place to look. Of course it's also possible your CMYK is in use in imported images, in which case you need to inspect and edit the original files.

• 2. Re: Converting CYMK document to PATONE
            Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Know WHICH Pantone colours to choose. There are hundreds, and if you use the wrong ones the job is impossible to print. (It could be that the client is ignorant of this and wants to see pantone colours to match a spec).

• 3. Re: Converting CYMK document to PATONE
              Danny Whitehead. Level 4

So, are these files going to printed using Pantone spot colour inks? If not, it could well be a misconception on your client's part. If they are, too many spot colours could get very expensive.

Are the colours in your InDesign files currently CMYK or spot? If they're already spot colours, but the PDFs you export are CMYK, you may have 'All Spots to Process' selected in the Ink Manager (accessible through the Swatches palette). If they're CMYK, you'll need to change them manually to the closest Pantone solid inks, or the ones specified by the client.

Photoshop is useful for finding the closest Pantone colour to a CMYK mix. Open the Color Picker, put in your CMYK values, click on Color Libraries and select the appropriate book (Solid Coated if you're printing on coated stock, Solid Uncoated for uncoated stock).

• 4. Re: Converting CYMK document to PATONE
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

He needs them all in Pantone, how do I convert the CYMK files in InDesign cs6?

Some of the Pantone libraries have process CMYK definitions (Pantone+ Color Bridge and Pantone+ CMYK) and some have spot Lab definitions (i.e., Pantone+ Solid, Pantone+ Pastels and Neons). Assuming your client knows the difference between a spot and process color, he is requesting that you provide PDFs with spot colors. Before you export make sure the colors are set as spot. Here my swatches panel is showing 4 Pantone colors 2 are spots and 2 are process CMYK. The process Pantone colors would export as CMYK and would not show as separation plate colors in the PDF:

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 7.15.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 7.30.15 AM.png

Also, make sure All Spots to Process is unchecked in your Ink Manager setting

• 5. Re: Converting CYMK document to PATONE
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Or perhaps he's just saying that he wants all colors to match a Pantone named CMYK color for better press control? Harder to make excuses about color on press if the pressman has a swatch book for comparison.

• 6. Re: Converting CYMK document to PATONE

Harder to make excuses about color on press if the pressman has a swatch book for comparison.

Happy I'm not the pressman when the client expects 0|65|100|0 to match a Pantone Orange 21C swatch.

• 7. Re: Converting CYMK document to PATONE

That's not what I mean. I'm talking about spec'ing P 121-14 instead of 77/0/22/10 or instead of the close, but not defined 78/0/25/9.

• 8. Re: Converting CYMK document to PATONE

Ok, but it sounds like the client is complaining that there are missing Pantone colors in the supplied PDF. The only way to get a listed Pantone is use one of the spot defined solid libraries.

• 9. Re: Converting CYMK document to PATONE

Well, yes, that's kind of the point I'm making. You can define Pantone process swathes in ID, but they don't carry through in the PDF (my printer used to ask me all the time if I'd used defined Pantone colors). I suppose if defined process colors are used, and you need a reference for them, you should probably add a slug with labelled boxes for each swatch used.

But you guys are probably correct that he's talking about spots...