17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2014 4:19 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere elements 12 does not launch, nothing happens

Chloroform

I've been using Premiere Elements 12 a few weeks ago and it used to work fine but since yesterday I'm not able to launch it. I don't get any error message, just nothing happens.

I tried to reinstall it, disable the firewall too, but nothing works I don't know what to do.

I own a Dell Inspiron 15R, Windows 8 64bit, intel core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz 2.30GHz.

Any suggestions ?

• 1. Re: Premiere elements 12 does not launch, nothing happens
          A.T. Romano Level 7

chloroform

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8 64 bit.

Double click the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file in the following Program Files route

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Premiere Elements 12

and in the Premiere Elements 12 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file that you double click.

(Right next to the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file is another named Adobe Premiere Elements 12.exe.

You do not want that one. That one opens the program to the Welcome Screen.)

In what you are doing, can you get as far as to the Welcome Screen? If so, try to open the Elements Organizer 12

and let us know if that opens.

Here are some related blog posts which may or may not impact your issue

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Premiere Elements 12 Editor Will Not Open

Next one may not be applicable since you are not reporting any Sign In failure with the "Connect to Internet or Fix Computer

Clock" message

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Sign In Failure (Connect to Internet or Fix Computer Clock)

Please review and consider and then let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere elements 12 does not launch, nothing happens
            BillMMBill

I have the same problem. (And looking at     c's submission date - both of us on the same day.)

I tried your ".exe" suggestion and got no result from either file.

I have used version 12 since October 2013 with no problem. Created a small project last night and saved it. This morning couldn't get the program to open (new video or earlier videos). Once the programwent to the welcome screen, but got no further. Exit and try to open again and didn't even get welcome screen.

Uninstalled and reinstalled twice with no luck.

Nothing was added overnight -- no new programs, etc.

Windows 7

64bit

I earlier tried the other suggestions [below] - They didn't work either.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Premiere Elements 12 Editor Will Not Open

Next one may not be applicable since you are not reporting any Sign In failure with the "Connect to Internet or Fix Computer

Clock" message

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Sign In Failure (Connect to Internet or Fix Computer Clock)

• 3. Re: Premiere elements 12 does not launch, nothing happens
              A.T. Romano Level 7

billmmbill

Did you look at the antivirus program disabled vs enabled?

If you have not already, try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file found

Local Disk C

Users

Owners

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

Let us see the outcome from the above and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere elements 12 does not launch, nothing happens
                Chloroform Level 1

Hello ATR,

Thank you for your answer.

I can't even get to the Welcome Screen. I tried the first solution in your link and it didn't work, about the second (SLStore / SLCache one) I didn't find any folder named like that and I don't even have a "Program Data" folder... weird.

• 5. Re: Premiere elements 12 does not launch, nothing happens
                  BillMMBill Level 1

Hello ATR,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, have tried with antivirus turned off and have previously deleted the files and folders you reference.

I also uninstalled and then downloaded the "Trial" version, hoping that a fresh version of Premiere might help. It didn't help.

I also uninstalled and removed files and then manually deleted all references to Premiere in the Windows Registry. Then reinstalled (hoping for a clean install). The result was I got to the welcome screen again, but no further. Subsequent tries to start go nowhere-- not even the welcome screen.

The two things I found strange are

1) It happened overnight. I created the beginnings of a project the night before. Saved it and exited. The next morning, after rebooting the "can't launch" problem began. No Windows or other program updates or downloads.

2. No matter what I deleted or uninstalled--- when I reinstalled it never asked for my activation code. It would seem that Adobe lodges more information on the disc in places we can't find.

I'll probably return to Premiere 9 and hope it works.

If it doesn't and I can't get 12 to function, I'll have to look elsewhere.

That's a shame as I have always liked Premiere's approach. Perhaps Adobe has become just to big to worry about its customers.

Best

Bill

• 6. Re: Premiere elements 12 does not launch, nothing happens
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Chloroform

Thanks for the reply.

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8 64 bit.

Check List/Recap Time

1. Have you tried to launch the program by double clicking on the .exe files in the Project Files. The route would be

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Premiere Elements 12

and in the Premiere Elements 12 Folder are two key .exe files for launching Premiere Elements 12

Adobe Premiere Elements 12.0.exe (opens to the Welcome Screen)

and

Adobe Premiere Elements.exe (opens to the workspace)

Try each to determine if either will work for you.

2. Please make sure that you are working with the Folder Option "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives" active so that you can see all the paths cited. In Windows 8 64 bit....

a. When you are in the Apps Screen view, type File Explorer

(alternative: move your mouse cursor to the far right of the screen to bring up the vertical display which has "Search" at the top. Type in File Explorer in the Search field)

b. When File Explorer opens, click on the View Tab

c. Then go to the far right in the column below that View Tab that you just clicked on. There look for Options.

d. Click on Options to bring up the Folder Options dialog.

e. In the Folder Options dialog, click on View Tab.

f. Scrool down the list of items under the View Tab, and make sure you have a dot next to Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drive.

Please let us know if that Folder Option setting opens up more opportunities for getting at files and/or folders that may be involved in the issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere elements 12 does not launch, nothing happens
                      Ntranger

Hi Cloroform,

I have exactly the same issue that started a week ago, it might be a coincident but it seems after i downloaded the latest update of Abode reader that my problems started.

It will open the organiser up once i have booted up the computer it tries to load the catalogue then it disappears, never to be seen again unless i switch off then reboot the computer. 

I have noticed in windows task manager that under applications that photoshop elements 12 is apparently running but nothing is showing on the screen if i open it from c/programe files(x86) abode/ photoshop 12.

i have tried to uninstall and re-install but the same thing happens again and again.

So i will follow your post and see if your problem can be solved, and i will try and find answers by asking other members.

Thanks

Mike

• 8. Re: Premiere elements 12 does not launch, nothing happens
                        BillMMBill Level 1

Hi All,

Here's my update.

Restored to a Restore Point date one week prior to my problem. The adobe application manager finally appeared {it's been pretty erratic lately]

The manager said it updated to Premiere  Elements  12.1. Hope quickly dashed.

Now I am working on the error message "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

I get that even if lI launch both .exe files from the Premiere folder .

Not working yet, but at least something has changed and perhaps a fix is coming.

Lot's of different approaches to fixing the error message, but will try.

Will update if successful.

Bill

• 9. Re: Premiere elements 12 does not launch, nothing happens
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

After chloroform started this thread, soon afterward BillMMBill introduced similar issues. It gets confusing when more than one exchange of information is going on at the same time and user specific Q&A from more than one user is interwoven. Consequently, good idea to monitor the results in this thread, but it would probably be to your advantage to start your own new thread if you do not see answers in the thread we are in now going in your direction.

I have been trying to weave in and out of chloroform and BillMMBill specifics.

For now I would offer this

a. Are you working with Photoshop Elements or Premiere Elements?

b. Have you read all the information in the links provided in this thread?

c. Have you attempted to uninstall/ccleaner/reinstall the Adobe Reader if you suspect that its update is at the core of your problems?

If you are dealing with version 12 (the latest version) and if problems defy resolution, you may want to contact Adobe via Adobe Chat to discuss the topic "Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up". Other choices might bounce you back to the forums.

Contact Customer Care

After the link opens, click on "Still Need Help. Contact Us." to bring up the Adobe Chat to discuss Premiere Elements Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up.

If this is really a Photoshop Elements 12 based issue, then please check out the SLStore and SLCache Folder fix in

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/04/pe12-premiere-elements-12-editor-will.html

That worked for me with for Photoshop Elements 12 Editor that would not open.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere elements 12 does not launch, nothing happens
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

BBMMBill

With regard to your post # 8,

Have you updated the Adobe Application Manager

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4773

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere elements 12 does not launch, nothing happens
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Chloroform, BillMMBill (Bill), and Ntranger (Mike)

I just wanted to make sure that all are reading all the links in this thread and ruling in or out the possibilitity that anything in them might be the fix for your issue. Again, "Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes."

Chloroform seems to be doing the link checking since chloroform mentioned attempts to access the SLStore and SLCache Folders. Chloroform and I are currently working on pointing to those folders.

With three users in this thread, I am worried that one or more may overlook what might have worked for them were it not for posts being overlooked in the crossing exchanges.

But, we will focus on the goal - opening Premiere Elements 12 - wherever it is done.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere elements 12 does not launch, nothing happens
                                BillMMBill Level 1

Good point ATR

As soon as I can clear some time from other obligations I'll start a new thread based on error message attempts.

Bill

• 13. Re: Premiere elements 12 does not launch, nothing happens
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

Thanks for the follow up and plan to create a new thread in which to focus on the specifics of your situation.

But, it would be a good idea to place in the new thread a link to the thread that we are in now. That will keep

related information on the "Premiere Elements 12 will not launch issue" readily at hand as we focus on your project specifics in the new thread.

We will be looking forward to your follow up when you get the time.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere elements 12 does not launch, nothing happens
                                    Chloroform Level 1

Two words ATR : THANK YOU !

The SLStore/SLCache thing worked, I'm really greateful man, thanks a lot for your advices and solutions.

Take care ! Love from France

• 15. Re: Premiere elements 12 does not launch, nothing happens
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Chloroform

Magnificient news. Not enough greats to tell you Great job.

Thank you very much for the follow up which is a major contribution to others seeking answers for the Premiere Elements 12 will not launch issue.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 16. Re: Premiere elements 12 does not launch, nothing happens
                                        BillMMBill Level 1

Thanks for all the help ATR

All is well now. Using Sandeep's solution I am back in the movie making business - non profit of course. :-)

@Anyone with error message "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

can check my repost of Sandeep message at The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)

Again thanks ATR!

• 17. Re: Premiere elements 12 does not launch, nothing happens
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

Thank for the great news update.

Many thanks to Sandeep and the Adobe Help Team for their Premiere Elements solutions. Greatly appreciated. John did well to

point you to that thread with Sandeep's suggestion for the dealing with the 0xc000007b error.

You also did a great job in sorting through the troubleshooting information to find your answers that have you moving

forward with your projects. Your follow up will be a big help to others in a situation similar to the one you encountered.

Best wishes with your movie making.

ATR