13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2014 11:37 PM by RoblinSteel

$1500 Premiere Build: I'm going to buy these parts--any advice?

RoblinSteel

Dear Masters of Cinema:

After some research, I've put together the list of parts below for my Premier/After Effects (CS6/CC) build. As for what I'll be doing, lots of video editing (cannon 5dII RAW--nothing in 4K yet), and a big chunk of what I'll be doing is animation--2d, rigged models. This clip sorta represents the look I'll be shooting for: http://youtu.be/A-rEb0KuopI (Sorry, nothing of my own to share yet...) Also, in case it matters (probably doesn't) I'll also be running instruments and a mixer into the machine via USB. All music/sound for my projects will be done on this machine.

Any advice you could offer as to how I can make this build better without making it more expensive would be much appreciated! I'm ready to buy parts ASAP. Thank you so much in advance!

---

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mM9fhM

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mM9fhM/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mM9fhM/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($249.98 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($74.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($81.97 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($81.97 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Dual FTW ACX Video Card  ($289.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC)

Other:       ASRock Rack C226 WS LGA1150/ Intel C226/ DDR3/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&2GbE/ ATX Server Motherboard  ($194.99)

Other: Samsung DDR3-1600 8GB/1Gx72 ECC CL11 Server Memory ($86.99)

Other: Samsung DDR3-1600 8GB/1Gx72 ECC CL11 Server Memory ($86.99)

Other: Rosewill RCR-IC001 40-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB Port / Extra Silver Face Plate ($9.99)

Other: Contour Design Shuttle-Xpress NLE Multimedia Controller (Black) ($37.99)

Other: HP Wireless Elite Keyboard v2 ($19.99)

Other: Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor (USED) ($209.94)

Total: $2065.66

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-02 09:51 EDT-0400)

• 1. Re: $1500 Premiere Build: I'm going to buy these parts--any advice?
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I would drop the E3 Xeon and get the 4771 or the 4790 CPU along with a Z97 board. Keep in mind the Crucial M550 drives are out as well. I would also suggest a 700W or 750W PSU.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: $1500 Premiere Build: I'm going to buy these parts--any advice?
            RoblinSteel Level 1

Thanks, Eric. If you've got a minute, could you please give me some additional color with re to your recommended changes?

Also, so you know where I'm coming from here's some additional background info on my part choices (with the help from various kind people I've met online in other forums):

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Hyper-threaded haswell quad core. This is effectively an i7-4770 less the iGPU plus ECC memory support, sold as a "Xeon." Intel uses the CORE (i series) and XEON series to differentiate products to different customers (consumer vs enterprise), but many of them are actually the same product, as is the case with this E3 Xeon. This can easily offer 70-75% of the performance of the i7-4930K at less than half the cost.

Motherboard: ASRock Rack C226 WS ($200 @ Superbiiz)

Workstation quality motherboard based around the Intel C226 server/workstation chipset and are a well suited to high I/O workloads. Dosen't follow the gimmicky desktop trends of the month. These are designed to be rugged, uncompromising quality platforms.

Memory (X 2): Samsung DDR3-1600 8GB/1Gx72 ECC CL11 Server Memory ($87 X 2 @ Superbiiz)

Not a lot of use for more than 16GB of RAM in video editing. The actual minimum memory/working-space required is normally pretty low. More is just useful as it will be used to buffer data. Realistically speaking, HD content can be edited on a machine with 4GB of RAM. This is ECC workstation grade memory. No hipster "gaming" flashy BS here this is the sort of stuff you'll find in a Mac Pro or IBM workstation.

Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)

Given my current plans, I think this high value SSD implemented as a system/boot/application and home folder drive will work. I can also use this as a project drive for smaller projects to get a tad more zip in editing, but mostly I will reserve as your "everything else" drive. Keep the mechy drives dedicated to media.

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($80.71 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($80.71 @ Amazon)

Including "3" drives here. Will configure the 2 x 2TB drives either in RAID0 or RAID1 (I'll probably do RAID1 for redundancy) and use these as the media/project drives. The WD black would then be used as the export drive--will configure the RAID array and export drive on separate controllers. (The AsRock motherboard has two SATA controllers, the chipset integrated controller and an additional controller on the motherboard.)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Dual FTW ACX Video Card  ($289.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)

I thought that this even is overkill wattage wise. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this is just a good deal on a high efficiency, well made PSU with 8 SATA connectors right out of the box.

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)

The primary advantage to "pro" is in enterprise environment that require the ability to join a domain. I can probably do without "pro."

• 3. Re: $1500 Premiere Build: I'm going to buy these parts--any advice?

The 4790 is completely unlocked where as the 4771 is partially locked. You can stick clock the 4771 up some without significantly increasing the voltage. The ECC support is pointless and will not help you with the editing workflow. However the higher frequency with the desktop chips will significantly effect your editing workflow experience.

Along with this all of the Z97 boards would be available with the 2 desktop chips. Those will have better slot config options, features including M.2, and configuration options. There are absolutely zero performance advantage or reliability advantage E3 boards. I am afraid that is all marketing.

I am afraid Ram usage is far beyond 16GB of ram especially now with GPU acceleration. My standard test project alone uses 18 to 22 GB of ram if it's available by itself. My AE test project uses 56GB of ram. GPU acceleration is a ram hog because of how it works. Add to this resolutions over 1080 and the ram space exponentially increases. I highly suggest you change your thoughts on this especially if you plan to use Adobe's Dynamic linking.

Raid 1 increases read speed some over a single drive but write speed is significantly slower much of the time. Keep in mind that will slow your workflow down when exporting.

I suggest you look at the current Video card req's for PSU. The 760GTX is 500W by itself. If you decide to upgrade video cards later then you will be extremely limited. The PSU will idle to operational load regardless of whether its 550W or 750W. The power usage wont change beyond the 15 second initialization load. Considering the cost difference is really not that much why skimp there?

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: $1500 Premiere Build: I'm going to buy these parts--any advice?
                RoblinSteel Level 1

Wow. I'm obviously in over my head. Thank you. I was seriously close to buying those parts--I would've regretted it.

Really what I'm looking for is a machine to build my editing chops up on--right now I have close to no chops. So, I want a machine that I can learn on, and I think that too much power would be wasted on me. At the same time, I'll be using my new machine a lot, and I want something that's going to nice to work with and blow my current machine out of the water (Macbook air-1.8 Ghz Intel Core i7, 4 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3). I was also hoping to keep this around $1500 (which now is starting to seem unrealistic)... so when I do upgrade to something more powerful, next year or so, I won't feel so bad about shelling out the $$$.

Needles to say, I'm a bit lost as to what to do now... It sorta feels like back to the drawing board. I hate asking this, but since you seem to really know your stuff, could your possibly recommend a build that would work? No worries if no. It's just that I've been digging on various forums for weeks now (here, reddit, tweakers page) and I'm feeling a bit dizzy. Your help would be truly appreciated! 

Also, FYI, below is an parts list that I previously put together, but it's a bit out of my price range:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zbmndC

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zbmndC/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zbmndC/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($578.99 @ Amazon) Note: Perhaps opt for the 4771 or the 4790? 

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: Asus X79 Deluxe ATX LGA2011 Motherboard  ($325.99 @ SuperBiiz) Note: Should I replace this mother board with the Z79 you recommended?

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($319.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Toshiba Q Series Pro 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($150.99 @ Best Buy)

Storage: Toshiba Q Series Pro 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($150.99 @ Best Buy)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($74.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card  ($256.99 @ B&H)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit)  ($132.60 @ OutletPC)

Mouse: Logitech M510 Wireless Laser Mouse  ($26.99 @ Best Buy)

Other: Rosewill RCR-IC001 40-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB Port / Extra Silver Face Plate ($14.99)

Other: Shuttle Express ($38.95)

Other: HP Wireless Elite Keyboard v2 ($26.99)

Other: Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor (USED) ($209.94) Note: I already own these monitors--not perfect I know, but good enough for me.)

Total: $2894.29

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-02 15:24 EDT-0400)

• 5. Re: $1500 Premiere Build: I'm going to buy these parts--any advice?

The 6 Core workstation system would be better long term because of upgradability. However if it's beyond the price range then the Haswell desktop is still good for significant editing workflows. Also you can always turn the Haswell system into a render system later if you have the ability to get a workstation down the road. The Haswell Quad Core's with 32GB of ram and clocked to 4GHz make extremely good render systems for Media Encoder especially if you have the right video card.

I would only change the PSU, Motherboard, and CPU with your current build to stay close to the same price point.

CPU - If you want greater than 4GHz now or later then get the 4790K. $100 is worth the clocking difference and that chip runs 4GHz without even really raising the voltage. I have yet to see how high we can clock it with reasonable voltage increase because we are still getting audio compatibility testing done with the new boards. I should be able to let you know that in a few days I would hope when their done testing. Otherwise get the 4771 and clock to 4GHz. That would be more than enough to get started.

Systemboard - Motherboards - Z97-PRO - ASUS :The Asus board allows you to get the Thunderbolt 2 add on card later which is a big plus long term. I suggest that over the Asrocks just for that reason right now.

PSU - Coolermaster 750W - Cooler Master: V750 : Extremely quiet and their failure rate is ridiculously low. I have been convinced over the last 6 years Coolermaster has really made QC a major priority.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: $1500 Premiere Build: I'm going to buy these parts--any advice?
                    JFPhoton Level 3

Eric,

I am curious as to what your opinion is of the upcoming Haswell E CPU and new chipset. What will the 10 native SATA III ports allow in terms of a fast RAID 0 using SSDs strictly off the motherboard ?? Your knowledge and experience are greatly appreciated here on this forum !

• 7. Re: $1500 Premiere Build: I'm going to buy these parts--any advice?

I believe the biggest increase in performance long term from Haswell E will be the advent of DDR4. The ram bandwidth is the current limitation to GPU acceleration due to the amount of data buffers that have to be created and thereby the caching models that can be implemented. The Video cards have far greater ram bandwidth available versus the system ram and are currently not utilized fully. The DDR4 should help alleviate those limitations. I did some testing with the Areca ARC-1883i 12Gbs SAS controller and 5x Crucial m550 1TB drives in raid 5. The benchmarks were consistent and near symmetric every run for each test. HDtune put the raid at 1.5GB/s throughout the entire array and Sisoft Sandra reported 2GB/s throughout the array. This means the 12Gbs controllers are utilizing the full capability of the current crop of SSD drives and the caching models of the controller are the only limiting factor. 12Gbs would be far better on the workstation boards than 6Gbs when it comes to Haswell E and Sata standard with SSD drives. I am waiting to see what is actually planned for implementation. The 6Gbs implementation on the X79 boards current dynamically allocates bandwidth from other devices or slots which often means often times the SSD drives in raid 0 don't perform up to their limit. There is simply not enough throughput designed in the boards to allow full bandwidth for all 6Gbs ports. That would have to change if 12Gbs was implemented as a standard feature on the Haswell E boards.

Eric

ADK

• 8. Re: $1500 Premiere Build: I'm going to buy these parts--any advice?
                        RoblinSteel Level 1

Thank you, Eric. But I'm a bit confused.   Just to make sure, I've pasted what I think you're suggesting below.

Keeping in mind everything above, I'd be really grateful if you could take a look and let me know if there are any changes I should make to my parts list. (Also, at the risk of sounding completely clueless, I'm not sure what you mean by a render system... I have a lot to learn.)

Also, the list/price below doesn't include RAM, if I go from 16Gb to 32GB as you suggest, I think my machine gets a lot closer to $2K--which leads me to another question: is this list really the best Adobe Premiere/After Effects build that $2K can buy right now? Too many questions... I sorta wish there was an active forum with current info to see a list of other peoples builds and benchmarks.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZPPtQ7

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZPPtQ7/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZPPtQ7/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4771 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($298.00 @ Amazon) Note to Eric: I've used this CPU for now, but I'll wait for your tests on the 4790K, which I understand isn't out yet, but will be soon.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($195.91 @ Newegg)

Memory: [  ] Note to Eric: I'm not sure what ram to buy--I understand that you're suggesting I go to 32Gb, but there's so many different kinds to choose from. Any recommendations? (In my initial parts list I used only 16Gb of Samsung DDR3-1600 server memory.)

Other: PSU - Coolermaster 750W  ($119.99)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Dual FTW ACX Video Card  ($299.99 @ Micro Center)

Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon)

Note to Eric: Do the above choices make any sense? I've read so many different things that I'm confused. What drives should I buy?

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.98 @ OutletPC)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC)

Other: Rosewill RCR-IC001 40-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB Port / Extra Silver Face Plate ($9.99)

Total: $1532.75

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-03 10:32 EDT-0400)

I know you're busy and the last thing you want to do is help an amateur pick parts, but your help if much appreciated. No problem if this is too much work. I totally get it. Thank you!

• 9. Re: $1500 Premiere Build: I'm going to buy these parts--any advice?

Render means export of timeline out of Premiere, AE or via Adobe Media Encoder. That means creating a finished media file that includes all of the edits/changes you make in the application. The exported file is often a different codec of media than the original media.

32GB is ideally where you want to be with the Desktop/Haswell platform. However you can get 16GB with 2x 8GB sticks now and add 2x 8GB sticks of the exact same Samsung ram later. You cant mix and match models on the current platform. So if 32GB is out of the price range now plan on 16GB and adding 16GB more asap when you have the budget.

The PPBM7 site has benchmark results with the same project for many different configuration. You can reference many performance ideas there. However keep in mind media, workflow ie editing complexity, style, FX along with what codec you are rendering/exporting to decide the ideal specs for performance.

The ideal system right now depends on the overall media and workflow. However the ideal platform for most workflows is the X79 workstation platform. That would be the way to go if budget was not a concern.

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: $1500 Premiere Build: I'm going to buy these parts--any advice?
                            RoblinSteel Level 1

Thanks, Eric.

I'll take a look at PPBM7--I was hesitant to buy a subscription (which I think is the only way to see the benchmarks) because I wasn't sure if the site was still active. I'll buy a subscription and take a look what people have been doing.

As for budget, I think I have the $$$ for 32Gb (and a i7-4930K too), but it just seems wasteful because I really have no clue what I'm doing--pearls before swine sorta thing. (Not really pearls though, when compared to some of the massive monsters I've seen out there... but you get my meaning.)

• 11. Re: $1500 Premiere Build: I'm going to buy these parts--any advice?

The Haswell Desktop is definitely enough for a starter system. The question will be how quickly you progress. Your workflow can quickly outgrow the desktop system with no where to upgrade if you start dealing with 4K media. That is what you want to consider here. If you want greater upgradability and don't plan to buy a workstation when Haswell E releases later this year then the 4930K system with the Asrock Extreme 9 would be the way to go.

Eric

ADK

• 12. Re: $1500 Premiere Build: I'm going to buy these parts--any advice?
                                jsm1963 Level 1

Curious to see how this system works out.  This falls within my budget too.  Give us an update when it's up and running.

• 13. Re: $1500 Premiere Build: I'm going to buy these parts--any advice?
                                  RoblinSteel Level 1

Actually, I think I'm going to end up building something at around 2.3k. I may go to a 4K camera sooner than I thought... Here's the PC I'm working on now. Eric and others in different forums helped me pick the parts: Intel Core i7-4930K, EVGA GeForce GTX 760, Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) - System Build - PCPartPicker