6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2014 8:29 AM by Jon Fritz II

How do you change the resolution size of a mp4 file?

Scoundral Level 1

I am looking for a free (really free, not just a trial for 30 days free) program that will allow me to change the resolution of a mp4 video.

If this is a "parameter" setting issue in DW what would be the parameter and the value?

The video is here: http://www.argraph.com/Sirui-P-Series-Monopods.html#psSeries.............a little past midway down the page.

As you see the words SIRUI and the tag line cannot be seen in their entirety.

PS-videoBad.jpg

THIS is the way it should look.....

PS-videoGood.jpg

The second image represents a youtube link but my boss said he cannot see it on his laptop or tablet

and insists that I use mp4 because it works with all formats; iphone, android, pc and mac.

I tried doubling the size of the file and it worked but was SOoooooo big that it blew the page out so I suspect that I

have to resize the file.

Ken? Nancy? ANYBODY?????   Seriously as always any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

-Gwynnplaine-

• 1. Re: How do you change the resolution size of a mp4 file?
          Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You must change the settings at the time of file rendering.  If you don't have Video Editing software, this online converter is free (up to 100MB file) but they also have low cost premium plans for larger files.

Online video converter

Nancy O.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do you change the resolution size of a mp4 file?
            Scoundral Level 1

Thanks Nancy.....one thing. Can you direct me to the one which doesn't place a watermark (Wondershare, in this case) over the video. Other than THAT, its perfect....onward and upward!

-G-

• 3. Re: How do you change the resolution size of a mp4 file?
              Scoundral Level 1

Nancy.....

I WAS able to locate a program which converts videos without watermarks (so far) but here is the problem.

My bosses insist that I convert to mp4 bc mp4 will play across all platforms (pc, mac, iphone, android) but

when I convert the file to mp4 and embed it within the document it prompts the viewer for a plugin if they do not

have quicktime installed:

The upshot is, is that they don't want their customers to have to dl quicktime.

So the question now is: is there a version of mp4 which is not Quicktime specific?

-G-

• 4. Re: How do you change the resolution size of a mp4 file?
                Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To get MP4 to play without a plug-in, like Quicktime, you need to be using the HTML5 <video> tag, and using a browser with html5 support.

If either one of those are missing for your boss, you're going to see a plug-in prompt if it's not installed.

HTML video Tag

Not all html5 browsers support MP4 as their <video> type. Opera and older versions of Firefox (I think all Mac versions as well) will require a WEBM or OGG version of the file as well.

• 5. Re: How do you change the resolution size of a mp4 file?
                  Scoundral Level 1

Thanks for the response Jon.....

I may not have made my needs clear but this video will be on one of our product pages and will be viewed by a wide variety of people who, no doubt, will have different browsers with different settings. How would I be able to determine whether they have html5 support?

Second I followed the link you were kind enough to provide and I found this tag:

<video width="320" height="240" controls>
                     <source src="movie.mp4" type="video/mp4">
                     <source src="movie.ogg" type="video/ogg">
                     Your browser does not support the video tag.
                  </video>

Question: what does "your browser does not support the video tag" mean? Will it render onscreen?

-G-

• 6. Re: How do you change the resolution size of a mp4 file?
                    Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1. As far as HTML5 support, if they have a browser made within the last few years (I think since about 2009), it supports html5. The page I linked to gives the versions where all of the major browsers started supporting the <video> tag.

2. The "your browser does not support..." text is what appears on screen when a viewer uses a browser that doesn't support HTML5 (like IE8).

If you still plan to support the old non-html5 browsers, the best thing to do is to place a fallback video using the old <object><embed> method in that "your browser does not support" location. That way, if they don't have an html5 compatible browser, the fallback video will play using whatever plug-in they have installed to deal with it. It would look like this...

<video width="320" height="240" controls>

<source src="movie.mp4" type="video/mp4" />

<source src="movie.ogg" type="video/ogg" />

<object width="320" height="240">

<param name="movie" value="myvideo.swf" />

<embed src="movie.swf" width="320" height="240"></embed>

</object>

</video>