13 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2007 3:07 PM by Deaf Web Designer

Fireworks TO Photoshop integration issues

Martijn_Hinfelaar
      I love designing my websites in Fireworks, however most of the developers I work with want layered PSD documents to develop with (don't ask me why, its a whole other discussion entirely). Needless to say I was thrilled when rumours came about that Fireworks CS3 offered 'full' integration with Photoshop CS3. It will be my main reason to upgrade from studio 8.
      Luckily I downloaded the trial version of both programs first only to find the integration from fireworks TO psd file very poor.

Granted, the fact that layers are exported is a big plus but the way texts are handled is a nightmare.

When I turn a fireworks document into a *.psd file and open that document into Photoshop the following happens (this, ofcourse, only happens when I update the textlayers):
      > line distance in pixels is not supported by photoshop: it turns the lading into huge distances (24px --> 450pt)
      > different colors / fonts / styles are not supported: it tuns the whole textfield in to a similar color / font / style
      > All fonts dissapear and the test is set in Myriad!! Ieven when I use Arial)

This is a major dissapointment for me, not too mention that it creates a lot of extra work.

I hope it's something I do wrong, I find it hard to believe that the (text) integration between fireworks and photoshop has become worse than before.. but it does seems this way.

Tips, ideas, work arounds are -very- welcome

for your information:
      I'm running a macbook pro 2.3 Ghz, 2Gb and 256Mb videocard
        • 2. Re: Fireworks TO Photoshop integration issues
          Level 7
          Martijn Hinfelaar wrote:

> Tips, ideas, work arounds are -very- welcome

Add the text to the document in Photoshop instead of Fireworks.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          • 3. Fireworks TO Photoshop integration issues
            Martijn74 Level 1
            Hi Linda,

Thanks for your tip. However it's not going to work for me since i'm basically doing all the creative design work in Fireworks.
            I'm still hoping for an easier solution :)

The only work-around I came up with is to put all texts into one layer in fireworks, which makes it 'easier' to convert all the text (manually) back to it's original appearance in Photoshop. You can imagine the amount of work that takes when you design a fairly large website.

I haven't come across any topic or website that adresses my problem, but I can't believe I'm the only one experiencing this?

Last question for you, Linda: Are you an employee of Adobe? or in other ways knowledgable about Fireworks - Photoshop integration? Does your comment imply that this is an issue that can not be solved in any other ways than that?
            If so I will stop searching for an answer and start converting texts ;)

-edit-
            Sorry I should have read your bio first, apologies

Thanks
            • 4. Re: Fireworks TO Photoshop integration issues
              Level 7
              First of all, good for you for testing out the trial first!

I understand there were technical issues in getting the Adobe Font
              rendering engine to work reliably in FW CS3 so unfortunately, text
              problems still exist.

In reality, the integration seems to be more of a one-way street, from
              PS to FW for this version.

Maybe it's on the PS receiving end, or maybe on the FW export side.
              Integration IS better, but it still has a ways to go. If you read
              somewhere on Adobe's site that there is FULL integration, I'd put in a
              call to customer support. That's the marketing people talking without
              thinking.

A couple suggestions that may not be feasible for your workflow.

If the text is "locked in" in terms of it not requiring editing in PS
              you could try NOT updating the fonts

OR

In FW render the fonts as paths, export the file as a PSD, and don't
              save the converted PNG, so your text remains editable withing FW.

These may not be practical options for you, but other than doing all the
              text in PS, it might be the only way at the moment.

That said, there are still many great features in FW CS3. If the
              integration is your only buy-in feature, though, that may not be enough.
              FW is much more akin to Illustrator than it is Phostoshop, so it's hard
              to predict when there will be FULL integration.

--
              Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
              Extending Knowledge, Daily
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              CommunityMX - Free Resources:
              http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

Martijnhinfelaar wrote:
              > To add to the confusion (and frustration)
              > The issue of all fonts turning into Myriad doesn't happen when I open my PSD
              > file (exported from FW CS3) in Photoshop CS2....
              >
              > So is this a 'bug' in Ps CS 3 or am I doing something wrong? I hope it's the
              > latter!
              >
              • 5. Fireworks TO Photoshop integration issues
                Martijn74 Level 1
                Thanks Linda and Jim,

Well it's a frustration I need to live with apparantly ;) and I will keep on persuading developers into using Fireworks (why they want to develop with photoshopfiles I still don't understand)

At least I can spend my time converting those texts instead of surfing the support forum looking for a solution that isn't there

I would like to urge Adobe to put this issue into their Technote.
                There is currently an article that adresses fireworks-photoshop intergration issues ( http://www.adobe.com/go/kb401026) but when it comes to texts it only adresses 'texts on paths'. This is such a specific issue that it gives the (apparantly) false idea that there are no other issues with rendering text.

"full" integration is probably a step to far right now, i'm not sure if it was marketing-people not thinking or me reading what I wanted to read ;)
                -
                Having used Fireworks CS3 for a couple of days now, I acknowledge that there have been many improvements made: pages is a great new feature for me and also the layered export to psd file is very cool.
                So I will still consider to make the upgrade.

• 6. Re: Fireworks TO Photoshop integration issues
                  Level 7
                  Martijnhinfelaar wrote:
                  > Thanks Linda and Jim,
                  >
                  > Well it's a frustration I need to live with apparantly ;) and I will keep on
                  > persuading developers into using Fireworks (why they want to develop with
                  > photoshopfiles I still don't understand)

Because they are used to it. If they switched, they'd see a big
                  improvement in workflow once they stopped comparing FW and PS.
                  >
                  > Having used Fireworks CS3 for a couple of days now, I acknowledge that there
                  > have been many improvements made: pages is a great new feature for me and also
                  > the layered export to psd file is very cool.
                  > So I will still consider to make the upgrade.

I think you're making a good call. :-)

>
                  > "full" integration is probably a step to far right now, i'm not sure if it was
                  > marketing-people not thinking or me reading what I want to read ;)

Yes, I can understand the desire. I run into the same issue at times
                  only in reverse - I get PSD's from print designers and need to turn
                  those layouts into web-ready graphics and pages. I much prefer doing
                  this in FW.
                  >
                  > I'm 'happy' to know that there's no solution for this text-issue. At least I
                  > can spend my time converting those texts instead of surfing the support forum

Remember, there's always CS4! ;-)

--
                  ---
                  • 7. Re: Fireworks TO Photoshop integration issues
                    Level 7
                    Martijnhinfelaar wrote:

> Hi Linda,
                    >
                    > Thanks for your tip. However it's not going to work for me since i'm basically
                    > doing all the creative design work in Fireworks. To add the text in later
                    > wouldn't work as it would imply that I would use to applications to design a
                    > website.
                    >
                    > The only work-around I came up with is to put all texts into one layer in
                    > fireworks, which makes it 'easier' to convert all the text (manually) back to
                    > it's original appearance in Photoshop. You can imagine the amount of work that
                    > takes when you design a fairly large website.

We work differently, I think. I don't mock up text for an entire website
                    in FW. I just do headers and sometimes add a bit of lorem ipsum text in
                    the font I would like the developer to use.

> Last question for you, Linda: Are you an employee of Adobe? or in other ways
                    > knowledgable about Fireworks -

I'm a forum volunteer. I like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable about
                    Fireworks. You can read about the Community Expert program here:

--
                    • 8. Re: Fireworks TO Photoshop integration issues
                      Level 7

Linda is too modest. Her talent and expertise far exceed "pretty
                      knowledgeable" level.

--

Linda Rathgeber **Adobe Community Expert - Fireworks** wrote:
                      > Martijnhinfelaar wrote:
                      >
                      >> Hi Linda,
                      >>
                      >> Thanks for your tip. However it's not going to work for me since i'm
                      >> basically doing all the creative design work in Fireworks. To add the
                      >> text in later wouldn't work as it would imply that I would use to
                      >> applications to design a website.
                      >>
                      >> The only work-around I came up with is to put all texts into one
                      >> layer in fireworks, which makes it 'easier' to convert all the text
                      >> (manually) back to it's original appearance in Photoshop. You can
                      >> imagine the amount of work that takes when you design a fairly large
                      >> website.
                      >
                      > We work differently, I think. I don't mock up text for an entire website
                      > in FW. I just do headers and sometimes add a bit of lorem ipsum text in
                      > the font I would like the developer to use.
                      >
                      >> Last question for you, Linda: Are you an employee of Adobe? or in
                      >> other ways knowledgable about Fireworks -
                      >
                      > I'm a forum volunteer. I like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable about
                      > Fireworks. You can read about the Community Expert program here:
                      >
                      > http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                      >
                      • 9. Re: Fireworks TO Photoshop integration issues
                        Level 7
                        What she meant to say is that she is *damn* knowledgeable about
                        Fireworks, and pretty - - -

alex

>
                        > I'm a forum volunteer. I like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable about
                        > Fireworks.
                        >
                        • 10. Re: Fireworks TO Photoshop integration issues
                          Level 7
                          Alex Mariño wrote:
                          > What she meant to say is that she is *damn* knowledgeable about
                          > Fireworks, and pretty - - -
                          >
                          > alex
                          >
                          > Linda Rathgeber **Adobe Community Expert - Fireworks** wrote:
                          >
                          >>
                          >> I'm a forum volunteer. I like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable about
                          >> Fireworks.

Much better stated than I, Alex.

--
                          ---
                          • 11. Re: Fireworks TO Photoshop integration issues
                            Level 7
                            Alex Mariño wrote:

> What she meant to say is that she is *damn* knowledgeable about
                            > Fireworks, and pretty - - -

You guys make me blush. :-)

--
                            • 12. Re: Fireworks TO Photoshop integration issues
                              Level 7
                              > Alex Mariño wrote:
                              >
                              >> What she meant to say is that she is *damn* knowledgeable about
                              >> Fireworks, and pretty - - -
                              >
                              > You guys make me blush. :-)
                              >

:-)

--
                              ---
                              • 13. Re: Fireworks TO Photoshop integration issues
                                Level 1
                                Martijn Hinfelaar,

Perhaps that you want to file a feature request to address your frustration about Adobe Fw and Ps integration.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Hope that helps.
                                Cheers, Brian

quote:

Originally posted by: Martijnhinfelaar
                                Thanks Linda and Jim,

Well it's a frustration I need to live with apparantly ;) and I will keep on persuading developers into using Fireworks (why they want to develop with photoshopfiles I still don't understand)

At least I can spend my time converting those texts instead of surfing the support forum looking for a solution that isn't there

I would like to urge Adobe to put this issue into their Technote.
                                There is currently an article that adresses fireworks-photoshop intergration issues ( http://www.adobe.com/go/kb401026) but when it comes to texts it only adresses 'texts on paths'. This is such a specific issue that it gives the (apparantly) false idea that there are no other issues with rendering text.

"full" integration is probably a step to far right now, i'm not sure if it was marketing-people not thinking or me reading what I wanted to read ;)
                                -
                                Having used Fireworks CS3 for a couple of days now, I acknowledge that there have been many improvements made: pages is a great new feature for me and also the layered export to psd file is very cool.
                                So I will still consider to make the upgrade.