1 2 3 Previous Next 87 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2014 9:13 AM by A.T. Romano

adobe elements 9

bobbbell@bigpond.net.au Level 1

elements 9 freezing up after loading project.

• 1. Re: adobe elements 9
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

•What version of Premiere Elements? Include the minor version number (e.g., Premiere Elements 12 with the 12.0.1 update).

•What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac"

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

•Are you using an account with Administrator Privileges?

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 (Encore + "All" Premiere)

•Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

• 2. Re: adobe elements 9

Hi john , i`m talking about my adobe elements 9 , my computer is windows 7, when I go into elements it freezing up after loading project and now it` s freezing up when I want a new project. It` been working really good with no problems then all of a sudden it`s playing up . the only things that have changed is what adobe technicians have done ,went in to computer drive c and to adobe right click them properties and trying to change users name but then he said to up grade to series 12 then hung up . I am the only person that users my computer. Also quicktime version 7.7.5. I would like to thank you john for taking the time to help me .

• 3. Re: adobe elements 9

Hi john , sorry I did not tell you I cannot up date when the up date popup come on screen ,it keeps saying there was an error down loading this up date   quit and try again later but I still get the same error .

• 4. Re: adobe elements 9
                A.T. Romano Level 7

bobbbell

Are you confirming that you are using Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and not Photoshop Elements 9?

Perhaps more information on why the Adobe Technicians were working on your computer and User Name at this late date might give us some insights into possible causes of your current problem.

Is your Windows 7 64 bit computer account still in tact showing it to be a User Account with Administrative Privileges? Does right clicking the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 desktop icon and applying Run As Administrator resolve any of the issues?

In your reply to John, you mentioned updating something...what is it...video card/graphics card driver update, the 9.0.1 Update, or something else.

Is this freezing up problem one that occurs just by opening the project - even before you import source media or does it happen after you have imported your source media into the project (old or new)? If after adding the source media, then please give details of the properties of the source media.

Another area that we need to explore

a. Is this a it worked before but not now or it never worked before issue

b. Did you install the program to the default installation location

c. Where do you have the Scratch Disks directed and how much free hard drive space is there? Please see Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Files.

d. Also check out the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder and the Media Cache Files Folder for pile ups. Please see Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: adobe elements 9

Hi, yes premiere elements 9.0/9.0.1  yes have a problem with elements I rang and I did get there name he said you will have to go to forum.

So I went to community forums and I was talking or writing to  mr abhijith then he said i`ll pass you over to a technician I waited for about 30 minutes then I was speaking to a mr jaikumar about up dating  pop up comes on the decks top when I click on it the pop up says adobe has a error and close down .when opening elements 9 asks for new project or open project I click on open project then I see it loading project then it freezers.

Computer is windows 7 , how do I check  if this is 64 bit .i unistalled then reinstalled the disc about 4 or 5 times . I don’t kown about scratch disc .

The last technician told me to go in to adobe and delete cache file folder . mr romano I thank you very muchfor your help . Robert bell

• 6. Re: adobe elements 9

Sorry , the elements wont open om administrator .

• 7. Re: adobe elements 9
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert Bell

Lots to discuss. Typically Adobe will not troubleshoot anything other than the current version.

With Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, it will be a 32 bit application whether your computer is Windows 7 32 or 64 bit. That has resource implications if the 32 bit systems come with a maximum supported installed RAM of 4 GB of which typically 3.2 to 3.0 or less of that are available. But, if you wanted to find out if your Windows 7 was 32 bit or 64 bit, you should be able to right click "Computer" and select Properties.

Let us try the deletion of the settings file (named Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs) and then maybe the 12.0 Folder in which it exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

If you are not able to get into the program's workspace, we will put talk of Scratch Disks aside for the moment.

The essentials for running Premiere Elements 9 include

a. QuickTime (latest version)

b. Running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges and applying the Run As Administrator to

the desktop icon.

c. Up to date video card/graphics card.....Are you getting any display card errors? Depending on your situation, we may try to delete the BadDrivers.txt file (more details on that tomorrow).

You wrote

Sorry , the elements wont open om administrator

Could you please explain. Did you mean that you had problems with the Run As Administrator application? Or did you mean that you cannot establish yourself with a User Account with Administrative Privileges.

Let us see how you do with the above.

We will be watching for your progress in the morning.

Do not give up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: adobe elements 9

64 BIT , 4.00 GB RAM . I TRIED TO OPEN WITH ADMINISTRATOR BUT DID NOT WORK .

I WENT TO DISC C  WENT TO USERS ,  FOLDER FOR  ROBERT  ALL THAT WAS THERE ,   FOLDER 1 ADOBE  PREMIERE ELEMENTS PREVIEW FILES  AND IN THIS FILE , WAS  STARTING . PRV    FOLDER 2 WAS ENCODED FILE  OTHER FOLDERS BUT THE LAST ONE IN THE LIST WAS ADOBE PREMIERE ELEMENTS  STARTING .  THERE WAS NO  APP DATA , ROAMING .   THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ROBERT

• 9. Re: adobe elements 9
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

bobbbell

1. I believe the reason that you are not seeing "AppData, Roaming" and the rest of that path is related to your present setting for the Folder Option "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives". So, let us go through the details on that. For now I am assuming that you are using

Windows 7 64 bit.

a. Click on the Start Button.

b. In the Search field directly above the Start Button, type in Folder Options.

c. Then look to the top of that left column where you should see the words Folder Options to click on.

d. Click on Folder Options to open the Folder Options dialog where you click on its View Tab.

e. Scroll down in the list under the View Tab until you get to the "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drive" option.

Then click its circle to dot it to make it your choice. Then click OK to exit that area.

2. Go to Control Panel, click on User Accounts and Family Safety, then click on User Accounts.

a. When you click on User Accounts, do you then see a thumbnail with displays "owner" or your name, including

"Administrator" written underneath the "owner" or your name?

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 10. Re: adobe elements 9

GOOD MORNING A.T.R,  I AM AT ROBERT ADMINISTRATOR  AND WAITING

• 11. Re: adobe elements 9
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert Bell

Good morning there. It is good evening here...now almost 9 pm Tuesday June 3, 2014.

With regard to you going to the User Accounts, I just wanted you to verify that there was an "Administrator" displaying

under your name in the User Account thumbnail. It looks like there is, so no more to do there.

Have you been able to set the Folder Options as I described so that you can see the troubleshooting paths that I have mentioned?

The two major things that I would like to get done

a. Deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, deletion of the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. (Please refer to threads 7 and 9 for the details already posted for the how tos.)

and

b. Have you right click the Premiere Elements desktop icon, select Run As Administrator.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: adobe elements 9

HI, NO1    RIGHT CLICK ON DESK ICON IT OPENED UP TO LOADING PROJECT AFTER IT LOADED IT FROZE UP

NO 2     OPENED FOLDER OPTION AND CLICK ON VEIW THEN CLICKED ON SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND ECT

NO 3     NOW I`M IN TO USER ACCOUNTS AND FAMILY SAFETY

NO 4      I`M NOW IN MAKE CHANGES TO YOUR USER ACCOUNT 

NO 5      IT ALSO HAVE  ROBERT ADMINISTRATOR

THANK YOU  ATR

• 13. Re: adobe elements 9

ABOUT ADOBE  DO I GO INTO COMPUTER /DISC C/ PROGRAMME FILES  /( X68  ) RIGHT CLICK THEN GO TO ADOBE FOR ALL ADOBE PRODUCTS

• 15. Re: adobe elements 9

I`M IN SYDNEY AUSTRALIA ,IT`S 1215PM WEDNESDAY WHERE ABOUT ARE YOU .

• 16. Re: adobe elements 9
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert Bell

If your User Account already had your user name and the word Administrator under that, then no need to do anything. Just exit out of there. But, if there was no Administrator showing in the User Account thumbnail, then Administrative Priviledges have to be added to the User Account that you are using for Premiere Elemetns. But, let me ask you this, how many User Accounts thumbnails do you find in that User Account area?

1. Did you get the following done yet in which we assure that the Folder Option is set to "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives"? Can you follow that path to Folder Options?

Windows 7 64 bit.

c. Then look to the top of that left column where you should see the words Folder Options to click on.

d. Click on Folder Options to open the Folder Options dialog where you click on its View Tab.

e. Scroll down in the list under the View Tab until you get to the "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drive" option.

Then click its circle to dot it to make it your choice. Then click OK to exit that area.

I do not think that we ever confirmed 32 or 64 bit Windows 7. Those were Windows 7 64 bit instructions. If finding computers locations with the 64 bit computer instruction is a problem, we may not be able to ignore the 32 or 64 bit question and have to find the answer. But, let us see if you can find Folder Options with the Windows 7 64 bit details above.

After we get the above matters settled, then we will go about finding and deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and maybe also the 9.0 Folder in which it exists. Then, to do that, we will use the instructions given previously, that is,

Let us try the deletion of the settings file (named Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs) and then maybe the 12.0 Folder in which it exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

That is the plan.

Thanks.

ATR

• 17. Re: adobe elements 9
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert Bell

I did not see your post 15 until after I posted my post numbered 16 just now.

I am in the United States. But we will not let the time difference between here and Australia get in the way of our progress.

I will try to get you as much information as possible in the next few hours and midnight here.  After that I will check your thread again for progress report in the morning here.

ATR

• 18. Re: adobe elements 9

Well , just a big thank you  A.T.R.

• 19. Re: adobe elements 9

HI A.T. ROMANO, I HAV`NT HEARD FROM YOU IS EVERY THING OK .

• 20. Re: adobe elements 9
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert Bell

Thanks for the post to keep us moving forward.

I was waiting for your reply to my post numbered 16. When I did not see a reply to post 16 yet, I thought that you were still working on going through the suggestions.

Have you been through the comments and suggestions in post 16 of your thread? If yes, what was the outcome? Did you get the Folder Options set up with Show Hidden Files, Files, Folder, and Drives so that you can see the paths that we need to get to in the troubelshooting? And, if Folder Option is now OK, were you able to delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if that did not work out, the whole 12.0 Folder in which it exists?

Just a caution note...there are lots of files in those path branches that have the same names. So, you need to stay on the path cited and beware of getting detoured. Any doubts about where you are on any given path, do not delete anything, just double check with me first.

Looking forward to further developments.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 21. Re: adobe elements 9

I never got post 16

• 22. Re: adobe elements 9

I`m at folder options , and waiting

• 23. Re: adobe elements 9
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert Bell

Are you reading just the email notifications and responding to them via your computer email? If so, any of the email notifications ending up in the Junk mail. Hope not. The following is post 16 for which I was awaiting results....

16.  Re: adobe elements 9

AT Romano    Community Member

Robert Bell

If your User Account already had your user name and the word Administrator under that, then no need to do anything. Just exit out of there. But, if there was no Administrator showing in the User Account thumbnail, then Administrative Priviledges have to be added to the User Account that you are using for Premiere Elemetns. But, let me ask you this, how many User Accounts thumbnails do you find in that User Account area?

1. Did you get the following done yet in which we assure that the Folder Option is set to "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives"? Can you follow that path to Folder Options?

Windows 7 64 bit.

I do not think that we ever confirmed 32 or 64 bit Windows 7. Those were Windows 7 64 bit instructions. If finding computers locations with the 64 bit computer instruction is a problem, we may not be able to ignore the 32 or 64 bit question and have to find the answer. But, let us see if you can find Folder Options with the Windows 7 64 bit details above.

After we get the above matters settled, then we will go about finding and deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and maybe also the 9.0 Folder in which it exists. Then, to do that, we will use the instructions given previously, that is,

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

That is the plan.

Thanks.

ATR

You say that you are at Folder Options. Did you confirm that you have a dot next to Folder Option "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives"?

If so, then it is time to go through the second part of post 16 and delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (and, if necessary) the whole 9.0 Folder in which it exists.

That is the plan for today. Please let us know the outcome.

• 24. Re: adobe elements 9

HI  A.T.R.

ANSWERS

NO 1 YES  CLICKED ON SHOW HIDDEN FILES

NO 2  WINDOWS 7 64 BIT

NO 3  ADMIN,ME AND GUEST

NO 4  IN DISC  C

I CAN ONLY FIND PROGRAM FILES ( X86 )

AND USERS

IN PROGRAM (X 86 ) IS ALL ADOBE PRODUCTS , ELEMENTS PHOTOSHOP,ADOBE HELP,ADOBE UTILITIES  ,

IN USERS IS PUBLIC AND ROBERT

I CAN`T FIND  THE FOLLOWING   OWNER, APP DATA , ROAMING , ADOBE ,9.0, PREMIERE,

• 25. Re: adobe elements 9

A.T.R. I FOUND ADOBE FILES  UNDER COMMON FILES IS THIS WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR .

• 26. Re: adobe elements 9
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert Bell

From what you wrote, you have Windows 7 64 bit and running Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on it. We are currently going after the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and/or the 9.0 Folder in which it exists. You should be nowhere near a "Common File". Here come the Screenshots.

Go to Local Disk C and click on Users Folder (last one on the list that Screenshot 1 is displaying).

Screenshot 1

exhibit 1.JPG

Double click on User Folder as shown above in Screenshot 1 to get the following view with the Owner Folder.

Screenshot 2

Exhibit 2.JPG

Double click on Owner Folder as shown above in Screenshot 2 to get the following view with the AppData Folder.

Screenshot 3

Exhibit 3.JPG

Double click on the AppData Folder as shown above in Screenshot 3 to get the following view with the Roaming Folder

Screenshot 4.

Exhibit 4.JPG

Double click on the Roaming Folder as shown above in Screenshot 4 to get the following view with the Adobe Folder

Screenshot 5

Exhibit 5.JPG

Double click on the Adobe Folder as shown above in Screenshot 5 to get the following view with the Premiere Elements Folder

Screenshot 6

Exhibit-6.jpg

Double click on the Premiere Elements Folder as shown above in Screenshot 6 to get the following view of the 9.0 Folder

Screenshot 7

Exhibit-7.jpg

Double click on the 9.0 Folder as shown above in the Screenshot 7 to get the following view of the 9.0 Folder

which contains the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you will be deleting

Screenshot 8

Exhibit-8.jpg

Now you are not going to see most of the above unless you have a dot next to the Folder Option "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives"

as shown below in the Screenshot of the Folder Options dialog.

folder option.JPG

Click on each of the Screenshots in this post to bring up a larger and clear view if necessary.

Please review and then let us know the outcome

a. Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled

and

b. Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file deleted and/or the whole 9.0 Folder in which it exists.

Do not delete anything that you do not understand.

Thanks.

ATR

• 27. Re: adobe elements 9

I went to user folder which I said in the LAST E-MAIL .  only things in user folder is 2 files one Robert with a lock on it and  the other one is public file .thats all

• 28. Re: adobe elements 9

Sorry I found it .

• 29. Re: adobe elements 9

OK , ADOBE PREMIERE ELEMENTS PREFS  DELETED .

• 30. Re: adobe elements 9
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert Bell

Great news. But, good news or not so good news?

Did deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file correct any of the problems that you were having with Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1?

If not and if you have not already, please go back and delete that whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs existed.

ATR

• 31. Re: adobe elements 9

OK I`VE DELETED 9.0 FOLDER

• 32. Re: adobe elements 9
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert Bell

What happened? Problems gone?

ATR

• 33. Re: adobe elements 9

No it`s still there , I restart my computer but still not working .

• 34. Re: adobe elements 9

Well the last time after restarting computer.  It`s the first time I received this notice .

Sorry, a serious error occurred that requires adobe premiere elements to shut down we will attempt to save your current project .

• 35. Re: adobe elements 9
                                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert Bell

Good job getting through the last two troubleshooting steps of 9.0 Folder and also Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file deletions. What next now that we have ruled them out as factors contributory to the program freezing up as you attempt to launch the program?

After weighing all factors, this may not be by the book step by step wise, but I am going to take a chance since you have Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1.

1. Are you confirming that your problems with Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 have remained exactly same since post 1 of this thread? If so, please read on.

2. We are going to delete the BadDrivers.txt file. The path to doing that is

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. The Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives should still be active so that you can see this cited path. You have done that Folder Options part already. After the BadDrivers.txt file deletion, close out of that area and reopen Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1. Any changes for the good?

More later.

ATR

• 36. Re: adobe elements 9
                                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert Bell

I just saw your post 34 after I had posted my post 35.

Before trying to work through my new suggestions in post 35, please repeat the troubleshooting that you just finished one more time.

This time go directly to delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Then shutdown the computer.

And, then re-open it, followed by trying to launch Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 from the desktop icon to which you have applied Run As Adminstrator (that is, right clicked the desktop icon and selected Run As Administrator before trying to launch the program).

ATR

• 37. Re: adobe elements 9

OK I TRIED TO RUN ELEMENTS ON ADIM BUT NO LUCK I HAVE NOW DELETE BADDRIVERS . I WILL TURN COMPUTER OFF NOW AND TRY AGAIN

• 38. Re: adobe elements 9

HI, DONE ALL YOU HAVE ASKED ,BUT STILL NO GOOD

• 39. Re: adobe elements 9
                                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert Bell

Thanks for all your follow ups on the troubleshooting. It is about 1 am where I am, and I need to call it a day.

In the morning, I will think about what next to get Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 to revive.

ATR

1 2 3 Previous Next