5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2014 3:33 PM by skburke91

Can I add Mocha for AE Tracking Data to an adjustment layer?

skburke91

I am trying to add a blur over a logo on a hat in After Effects. I tracked it in Mocha because the head moves quite a bit and the tracking in AE just wasn't as precise. Mocha did a great job! The problem I am now facing is that I cannot seam to figure out what layer to apply Mocha's tracking data!

I do know that the tracking data works on a solid layer but, as far as I know, a blur effect cannot work on a solid layer alone...right?!?

I tried, just for fun:), duplicating the main layer that I wanted to blur, adding a mask to it, adding the blur effect, applying the tracking data...but as you would guess, the whole layer was effected.

The only other layer, besides the original layer, that allowed me to add a blur and mask it, was an adjustment layer. I tried applying the tracking data to it and it didn't seem to work.

So, my questions are:

Can I add the Tracking data to an adjustment layer? If not,

Does anyone know what I have to do to add a blur over the logo on the hat and apply the Mocha tracking data to it?

I'm using AE CC with Mocha for AE

12 core Mac

OS X 10.8.5

Hope this wasn't too confusing...I'm totally brain dead right now!! Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!!

Sean

• 1. Re: Can I add Mocha for AE Tracking Data to an adjustment layer?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you put your blur effect on an adjustment layer and then use a feathered mask to limit the blur to the logo, when you apply tracking data from Mocha to the adjustment layer the blur will follow the logo.

The technique is slightly different if you use corner pin data.

Any Mocha tutorial that shows replacement of anything, like a buss card, the window or sign on a building, or anything similar can be used to learn the technique. The only difference is that you are applying the tracking data to a masked adjustment layer instead of a new piece of art.

• 2. Re: Can I add Mocha for AE Tracking Data to an adjustment layer?
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Personally, I would apply the tracking data to a Null layer, then parent the adjustment layer to the null.  This gives you a second level of repositioning capability - you can easily reposition the adjustment layer after the tracking data has been applied.

• 3. Re: Can I add Mocha for AE Tracking Data to an adjustment layer?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Andrew has a good idea unless you are using corner pin tracking. Almost all of my tracking projects are loaded with nulls to hold the tracking info.

• 4. Re: Can I add Mocha for AE Tracking Data to an adjustment layer?
                skburke91 Level 1

Andrew and Rick...thank you both so much for your responses! I tried both of the methods you suggested and it feels like I'm almost there! It feels like I'm just missing a step when I export the track data to AE.

Rick, I tried applying the track data to the adjustment layer directly and It did not work. I tried both the corner pin (supports motion blur) and the transform data (anchor, pos, scale and rotation).

Then I tried Andrews idea, applying it to a null and parenting the adjustment layer to the null and it that seems to work but it is still not all the way there. I feel like whatever the issue is, it's a small thing....some small step I'm not doing. One thing is that the anchor point of the null is not where it needs to be. It is staying directly in the middle of the screen. Any ideas?

Also, you said the technique is slightly different when exporting corner pin tracking...when you have some time, can you explain that a little?

And I checked out several tutorials on screen replacement, followed they're directions and have a much better understanding of it all but I still can't seem to get it right. Kinda feel a little dumb right now:)

Thanks again for any info!!!

• 5. Re: Can I add Mocha for AE Tracking Data to an adjustment layer?
                  skburke91 Level 1

Okay...I finally got it!!! Turns out I was selecting Align Surface after each track, which is usually oaky, but in this case, I was not suppose to.

Thanks again guys for your help! I really do appreciate it!

Sean