4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2014 12:52 PM by Vid_2011

Premiere elements 12 gets slower and slower as more video clips added to timeline.

Vid_2011 Level 1

Has anyone experienced this?  I started a project. At first the program runs smoothly, but as I add more clips, everything got slower and slower. I got to around 3 minutes worth of video and could do nothing, it was running so slowly. I decided to start over, making sure the video preference settings were correct. I started the project over and the same thing happened. As I added clips to the timeline, the line above the clips was neither yellow or green, telling me that the preferences were correct but still, as I got to around 3 minutes worth of clips, video playback was so choppy and basically came to a standstill. Windows, Premiere and video drivers are up to date. I went through the forums and turned off indexing, as someone had suggested for someone else, but it didn't help. I switched from scrolling to non scrolling screen, turned off unnecessary processes, even though I have more than enough memory.

I'm at a loss. Any thoughts on why this is happening is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Nadine

System info:

Windows edition: Windows 8.1 Enterprise

System: Dell Studio XPS              

Processor:           Intel Core i7 CPU 860 @2.80GHz 2.80GHz

Installed memory (RAM):             16.0 GB

System type:     64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Local Hard Drive:

931 GB (Used 56.2 GB, Free Space 874 GB)

Data Disk Drive:

931 GB (Used 360 GB, Free Sapce 571GB)

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6450

• 1. Re: Premiere elements 12 gets slower and slower as more video clips added to timeline.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Nadine

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit

Thanks for the details but you did not include any details of these video files that you are progressively adding to your Timeline.

What are the properties of these source media? I am looking for

Video compression

Audio compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

File Extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

I know you mentioned no colored line over the Timeline content, nonetheless what project preset are you or the project setting to match the properties of these source media?

Do you have the program installed to the default location? Where is your source media stored? Where have you pointed the Scratch Disks and how much free hard drive space is at that location(s)?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere elements 12 gets slower and slower as more video clips added to timeline.
            Vid_2011 Level 1

Hello ATR,

Thanks for your response. Here's the info requested, aside from whether it's interlaced or progressive. I wasn't sure how to retrieve that information.

Video compression 6677kbps

Audio compression 256kbps

Frame Size              1440 x 1080

Frame Rate             29.97 frames/second

Interlaced or Progressive

File Extension           .MTS AVCHD video

Pixel Aspect Ratio   1.333

I know you mentioned no colored line over the Timeline content, nonetheless what project preset are you or the project setting to match the properties of these source media?

Project Settings:

• Editing mode: HDV 1080i
            • Timebase: 29.97 frames/second
            • Frame size 1440x1080
            • Pixel Aspect Ratio HD Anamorphic (1.333)
            • Fields: Upper Field First
            • Display Format: 30fps Drop-Frame Timecode
            • Audio Sample Rate 48000Hz

Do you have the program installed to the default location? Where is your source media stored? Where have you pointed the Scratch Disks and how much free hard drive space is at that location(s)?

• I have 2 Drives – My C drive, which stores OS and Programs Applications. That’s where Premiere Elements is. Then I have My E drive, which stores my data files and source media.
            • All scratch disks point to my E drive (552 GB of free disk space remaining) apart from the “Media Cache” which is pointing to my C Drive (837GB of free disk space remaining).

Thanks!

Nadine

• 3. Re: Premiere elements 12 gets slower and slower as more video clips added to timeline.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Nadine

What I would like to see is a new project but with the project's source media saved to a Local Disk C location instead of the E drive which you are currently using for data files and source media.

Also, point all the Scratch Files to the same Local Disk C location.

All this is for troubleshooting purposes, not a permanent suggestion at this time.

Another interesting test might be to open a new project and pile on still after still to determine if you get the same slow down of workflow as you do with your AVCHD.mts video source.

Please let us know the outcome. I am not picking up on an issue point in project settings and video format that you present.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere elements 12 gets slower and slower as more video clips added to timeline.
                Vid_2011 Level 1

Hello ATR,

First, as suggested, I piled in lots of image files to see if that made any difference. It took longer to get to the point where it slows down, but it did slow right down.

Next I took your other suggestion and placed my media files onto my Local Disc C drive and pointed all the scratch disks to the C drive. I've created 5 minutes worth of content including video, text and images and it's running perfectly, just as it used to! I even left and came back to it the next day, but it's still running smoothly. What conclusions would you draw from this? Does my E drive not have enough memory?? Or has it been corrupted somehow? I'm wondering if my next move needs to be a new drive and if it's a memory size issue, what size would be recommended?

Thank you so much for helping me trouble shoot. I'm so grateful to have been able to get some actual work done.

Nadine.