10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2014 11:04 PM by Jo.hose

cannot adjust audio gain or video brightness with yellow line

Jo.hose

Premiere Elements 12: In my current project I have been adjusting audio and video by dragging the yellow line up and down but it has suddenly stopped working. The cursor shows a pair of close parallel lines when I hover over the yellow line but it can't grab it.

• 1. Re: cannot adjust audio gain or video brightness with yellow line
          Jo.hose Level 1

Oops, not a 'close pair of parallel lines' as I stated above but a short horizontal line with up and down arrows above and below it resp.

• 2. Re: cannot adjust audio gain or video brightness with yellow line
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What do you mean by "up and down arrows above and below it"? You should not be seeing if you're looking at the Volume or Opacity settings.

But since you've been able to make adjustments in the past, I assume you know what you're doing. Do the clips show the characteristics of Volume and Opacity listed on the clip?

What if you select the clip and open the Adjustments panel? Are you able to adjust these levels there?

Are unable to adjust the levels of every clip or just some?

BTW, I'm assuming you have all of your operating system's updates and the latest version of Quicktime from Apple, per the program's requirements.

• 3. Re: cannot adjust audio gain or video brightness with yellow line
              Jo.hose Level 1

After a re-boot it is now working normally. Sorry to have bothered you but

thanks for your support.

• 4. Re: cannot adjust audio gain or video brightness with yellow line
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jo.hose

Just some thoughts for you and SG to factor in or out.

Point for SB: The line with the up and down arrows at the mouse cursor tip as Jo.hose describes should be seen whether you are dealing with rubberband default Volume and Opacity properties as well as with certain applied properties. It is the program's indication that you are in the position to move the rubberband.

Points for Jo.hose

1. I can see how you can get the video clip rubberband to represent Brightness instead of Opacity.

Once you apply the fx Effects/Image Control to the clip, you have an Image Control Panel in Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette, and you have an option to change the clip rubberband control from Opacity to Brightness. You keyframe the Brightness and so on. The mouse cursor line with its up and down arrow is the indication that you are at a position on the rubberband where the click and drag of the video rubberband should move it in the direction that you want. With that symbol, you should not be having any problems. Is this type of issue reproducible in a new project? And, have I represented correctly that details for this part of your project?

2. Now here is where I have no idea how you are doing what you say that you are doing? You say that you are using the audio rubberband to adjust Audio Gain. Do you really mean Volume, not Audio Gain? I see no way of controlling Audio Gain at the audio clip rubberband level after the Audio Gain has been applied to the audio clip via Adjust Tab/Adjustment Palette/Audio Gain Panel.

What am I missing in what you say that you have done and are now trying to do?

3. Have you checked out the functioning of your mouse cursor if Windows....what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Have you updated to Premiere Elements 12.1 yet?

Change mouse settings - Windows Help

I will be following the discussion between you and SG and will be looking for clarification on the above in your discussions moving forward.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: cannot adjust audio gain or video brightness with yellow line
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jo.hose

I did not see your good news that all is well after a computer reboot until after I had posted by post numbered 4 in your thread.

If you have the time, I would be curious to know how you are using Audio Gain at the level of the audio clip rubberband.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: cannot adjust audio gain or video brightness with yellow line
                    Jo.hose Level 1

ATR

Thanks for your interest.

Perhaps I do mean Audio Volume; I don't understand the difference from

Audio Gain.

Jo

• 7. Re: cannot adjust audio gain or video brightness with yellow line
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Jo.hose

Just as long as your Video Track and Audio Track properties headers looked like this, we are in sync

After.JPG

The above came from the overall setup

Overall.jpg

As for the difference between audio gain and audio volume...to me they appear to be different names for the same thing however I suspect not always. In Premiere Elements, I have seen audio gain used more in context with the level of the input volume and volume used in context with the volume level of the output. More homework on that before I feel OK with the difference if any.

But,.for the purposes of your question and the property with which you are working for the audio clip rubberband, I feel confident now that you are working with Volume which is the default property of the audio clip rubberband.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 8. Re: cannot adjust audio gain or video brightness with yellow line
                        Jo.hose Level 1

ATR

And actually I think I meant Opacity rather than Brightness.

OT: is it possible to export a project as separate video (AVI) and audio

(WAV) files?

Jo

• 9. Re: cannot adjust audio gain or video brightness with yellow line
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jo.hose

It is late where I am, so I will go into more details in the morning. But for now...

For an audio only export for a Timeline with video linked to its audio, see

Publish+Share

Computer

Audio

and check out the preset for Windows Waveform (WAV). There are also opportunites there for exports of audio as AAC, AIFF, and MP3.

For exporting only video or only audio, check out the Export Settings under the Advanced Button of your export choice. In those Export Settings for user customization, there is a check off for only video and for only audio.

Just in case note, when you go into Publish+Share/Computer/ there are more choices than just Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, and AVCHD. You need to use the thin scroll bar to the right of the list to get to the rest which will includes AVI and Image and others.

We will be watching for your follow up in the morning.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: cannot adjust audio gain or video brightness with yellow line
                            Jo.hose Level 1

Great! Thank you for alerting me to the thin scroll bar. It looks like it

will do just what I want.

Thanks again

Jo