2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2014 3:24 PM by A.T. Romano

how do I import MOV files to premier elements 4?

rcafazio

I recently set up a new computer and installed Premier Elements 4 and now, for some reason, I can't import MOV files to Premier Elements 4.  The same version of Premier Elementes was on my previous system with the same operating system (Windows 7) and it worked with no problems.  Now it says they are not supported.  I get an error message that says:  One of teh necessary components may not have been installed.  Any thoughts? 

• 1. Re: how do I import MOV files to premier elements 4?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of Quicktime do you have installed?

• 2. Re: how do I import MOV files to premier elements 4?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

rcafazio

Premiere Elements 4 Windows 7 (presumed 64 bit system).

The first thought in this type of question is do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on the same computer with Premiere Elements 4? That has already been asked and awaits your answer. I would add to that question, if you go to Share/Personal Computer/QuickTime, do you see the QuickTime presets displaying there? If you go to File Menu/Export Movie/ do you have QuickTime choices there?

Installation of QuickTime (latest version) may the answer that you need to move forward in your projects.

However, it may not. What is the video compression that is being used with that .mov file extension? Are you trying to import an .mov file that uses AVCHD (MP4 AVC/H.264) video compression? If so, that might be a factor. The AVCHD video compression was not supported by Premiere Elements until Premiere Elements 7. To use your AVCHD.mov file (if that is what you have) in Premiere Elements 4, you would be expected to have to convert the AVCHD.mov into another format compatible with Premiere Elements 4. We can discuss conversion methods if applicable.

We will be watching for more details.

Thank you.

ATR