19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2014 12:12 PM by A.T. Romano

Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?

Don Knobi Level 1

Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?

• 1. Re: Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Don Knobi

You can use "Delete" to delete a file, but it leaves a gap. And, you can use "Delete and Close Gap" to delete the file and close the gap.

However, it is not always as straight forward as that. Depending on what is above or below the clip to be deleted, the "Delete and Close Gap" command may not work. Then you can close the gap by using the mouse cursor to click and drag the file over to close the gap.

There are more complicated scenarios such as what is represented in the following blog post.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe-delete-and-close-gap-failures.html

Please let us know if I have targeted your question. If not, please do not hesitate to ask more questions and to ask for clarification.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?
            Don Knobi Level 1

Dear A.T.Romano,

thank you for answering my question. But my command of the English language is not so good (I´m living in Germany). So I have problems to understand what you mean in details. I´ll try to follow your references this evening by using premiere elements at home on my computer.

First I´ll explain my problem:

There are tree possibilities to work: The fast modus, the assistance modus and the expert modus.

By using the fast and the assistance modus the gap will be closed automatically by using the push button “Delete”

By using the expert modus and using the push button “Delete” it is additional necessary to click on the gap with the right mouse button and to activate the function “delete and fill the gap”.

This is my problem. The way is more extensive.

I hope you can help me in simple words.

Thank you so much

Tobias Oertel

Von: A.T. Romano 

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 4. Juni 2014 00:02

An: Tobias Oertel

Betreff:  Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6431770#6431770>

• 3. Re: Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Don Knobi

Does the Translate Button in the post help at all with translating the reply from English to German?

Please review the following details to make sure we are together on the details for Premiere Elements 12 "Delete" vs "Delete and Close Gap".

If you are in the Quick workspace

a. Select the scene that you want to remove and close gap all at the same time. Then Edit Menu/"Delete and Close Gap".

or

b. Right click the Filmstrip scene that you want to remove and close gap, and then select "Delete and Close Gap" from the pop up menu.

Note that the only command involved in this Quick workspace is "Delete and Close Gap", not "Delete" choice.

If you are in the Expert workspace

a. Select the Timeline clip that you want to remove and close gap all at the same time. Then Edit Menu and you have 2 choices, "Delete" and "Delete and Close Gap". "Delete" will remove the clip, but leave a gap. You want "Delete and Close Gap" which will remove the clip and close the gap.

or

b. Right click the Timeline clip that you want to remove and close gap. In the pop up menu, you will have 2 choices, "Delete" and "Delete and Close Gap". You want the "Delete and Close Gap" which will remove the clip and close the gap.

Further comments about what you are observing and obtaining

a. There is no "Delete" command in the Quick workspace, just "Delete and Close Gap". See details above.

b.The above should work provided you do not have content above or below the track where the clip is that you want to remove and close gap. See blog post link details cited in previous post.

c. I do not think it should make a difference, but, if you have not, install the 12.1 Update via the Expert workspace Help Menu/Update.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: 12.1 Update Released

d. When you are trying to work with "Delete and Close Gap" in the Expert workspace, are you also working in the Guided Mode and a particular lesson?

Please review and then let us know the outcome. If difficulties exist in the communications, I will think of a way to improve them. But, try the Reply "Translate" button for English to German translation if you have not already.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?
                Don Knobi Level 1

Dear ATR,

I have understand your explanations, particularly the difference between the Quick and the Expert workspace. Thank you.

After several attempts I could find out the following:

In Quick workspace – no problems.

In Expert workspace I have two projects in process.

In the first one I have no problems to delete and close the gaps over using the pop up menu or the right mouse button.

In the second project (the more important for me) are located the problems. By doing the same things as in Expert workspace in the other project it is not possible in Expert workspace to trigger “Delete and close the gap”, this area (Pop up menu or right mouse button) is colored light grey. Only the area “Delete” is colored black and ready to enable. But sometimes, I do not know why, it is still working.

Is this a mistake in the software or where do you suppose the problem?

Would it be helpful to reinstall the software? What would be happened with my projects in this case?

I´m looking forward to your answer.

Kind regards

Tobias Oertel

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 4. Juni 2014 23:11

Betreff:  Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6434774#6434774>

• 5. Re: Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Don Knobi

Thank you for the reply.

Is it possible for you to post in your thread reply a screenshot showing the problem project's Expert workspace and the opened tracks with content?

I may be able to see something in it that will point to the solution or workaround if no solution is possible.

I do not believe that an program uninstall/reinstall is indicated at this time.

Please let us know if the screenshot is possible.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?
                    Don Knobi Level 1

Hi ATR,

please find enclosed the two screenshots as pdf.

In No. 1 it is possible to delete and close the gap, in No. 2 it is only possible to delete (each time using the task line and the right mouse button).

I´m looking forward to your answer to solve the problem.

Best regards

Tobias Oertel

Gesendet: Freitag, 6. Juni 2014 18:04

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6439378#6439378>

• 7. Re: Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Don Knobi

Thanks for the follow ups.

The screenshots did not post as .pdf. Could you post them as jpeg, using the camera icon (Insert Image) at the top row of the Reply that you are preparing to send. If you are replying via email notifications, then please use your browser to open the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum, sign in, and then add your Reply with screenshot to your thread.

These screenshots should be very helpful in defining the issues and getting to the cause specific to your situation.

ATR

• 8. Re: Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?
                        Don Knobi Level 1

Dear ATR

I dont´t know what I have to do.

I try it this way:

The first 2 screenshots make it only possible to delete,

the next 2 screenshots of the other projekt show the possibility to delete and close the gap

cid:image001.png@01CF8420.9ACA41C0

cid:image002.png@01CF8420.9ACA41C0

2nd screenshots

cid:image003.png@01CF8420.9ACA41C0

cid:image004.png@01CF8420.9ACA41C0

I hope you can use this

Best regards

Tobias Oertel

Gesendet: Sonntag, 8. Juni 2014 17:47

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6442744#6442744>

• 9. Re: Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Tobias Oertel

Thanks for trying to post those screenshots which I believe will help answer your problems with Delete & Close Gap in the Expert workspace of Premiere Elements. But unfortunately there is a problem in the screenshots appearing in the Reply in your thread.

It looks like you tried first .pdf format for the screenshots...that did not work. Now you have tried the .png format for the screenshots...that did not work.

Please determine if following the suggestions below will get the screenshots posted.

1. You need to do a screenshot of your problem Expert workspace with the tracks open to display the arrangement of the content.

The format of the screenshot should be jpeg, not pdf or png. Does your computer have a feature called "Snipping Tool".

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-snipping-tool-capture-screen-shots#1TC=wind ows-7

If so, with this tool, make your screenshots in the JPEG format. The tool gives you the choice of PNG, GIF, and Single File HTML, besides JPEG. The JPEG format should be our target. Then import that JPEG screenshot into your thread reply, using the Insert Image (camera icon) at the top of the Reply that you are preparing.

Thanks you.

ATR

• 10. Re: Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?
                            Don Knobi Level 1

Hi ATR,

I´ll try it this evening at home.

But first another question:

Is it possible to make fotos from the display by iPhone and send it to you?

TO

Gesendet: Montag, 9. Juni 2014 21:56

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6445464#6445464>

• 11. Re: Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?
                              Don Knobi Level 1

Dear ATR,

here now the 4 screenshots as jpeg-files.

If the files are too large, I must try it again with one oft hem.

I hope you can use them now.

Best regards

TO

Gesendet: Montag, 9. Juni 2014 21:56

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6445464#6445464>

• 12. Re: Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Tobias Oertel

Thanks for continuing to try to post those screenshots. But, they are not getting posted. Please try again. Here are some thoughts

1. If you are, do not reply using an email notification. Instead, go to your thread, going to your computer, then its default browser, and opening to the Adobe Premiere Elements Forums from there. Or, try clicking on the following link to get to your thread here and hit Reply at the bottom of the post

Re: Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?

2. Prepare you screenshoots as jpeg images - dimensions with the largest size no greater than 1000 pixels.

3. Then use the camera icon (Insert Image) to get the image into your reply so that it can be seen by me and others in your thread in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum.

But, I have some new news that may or may not help depending on your answers. Please confirm....at this time....

Is your problem (Delete vs Delete and Close Gap) involving ONLY Video Track 1 content with nothing below or above that content there?

And, is the problem that you have only the Delete but not the Delete and Close Gap opportunity when you right click the clip and find Delete active but Delete and Close Gap there but grayed out?

The above works for me when only Video Track 1 is involved under those conditions. If video track above 1, the right click shows me the Delete active and Delete and Close Gap grayed out.

Your screenshots when posted should define the matter better. But, while we are waiting for them to be posted, I thought I would ask the above questions as just in case questions.

Thank you.

ATR

• 14. Re: Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Don Knobi

Thank you for that great screenshot which I believe gave us our answer although there are a few details in that screenshot that I do not completely understand.

Bottom line: If you have your lineup of files on video/audio tracks above Video Track 1/Audio 1 (nothing else in the project) and select a file that you want to "Delete and Close Gap", the Edit Menu/ will offer you only Delete for the selected clip. This is true even if you had  put your media on Video 2 and then renamed the video track Video 1. That is the way it is. There are also other commands that do not function on the tracks above 1 in Expert workspace.

Now here is the part that I do not understand. What did you do with the true Video Track 1? Even if you use Delete Unused Tracks, Video 1 and Audio 1 never go. Was there some track renaming going on there so that the screenshot is displaying as it is

(from top to bottom)

• Video Track with track name not visible - Your video content
                                  • Audio 2 - Your audio content
                                  • Video Track 2 - Empty
                                  • Audio Track 1 - Empty
                                  • Narration Track - Empty
                                  • Soundtrack - Empty

Remember, what is seen in the Expert workspace is not always seen in the Quick workspace as is the case here when media is placed on upper tracks in the Expert workspace and the user switches to the Quick workspace.

Please check out the above and then let us know your comments.

Thank you. Your follow up is much appreciated.

ATR

• 15. Re: Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?
                                    Don Knobi Level 1

Dear ATR,

Thank you for your patient explanations to help me and find out the problem I have.

The fact is:

The video clips in project “Nobilis” (1st screenshot) are lying on track “Video 1”, the belonging audio tracks are lying on “Audio 2” Behind Audio 2 is Video 2, then Audio 1, then Speech, then Sounds.

The sequence in project new (where all is ok) is:

Audio 6

Video 3

Audio 3

Video 2

Audio 2

Video 1

Audio 1

Speech

Sounds

I have probable deleted one video track to move up my film files under the cutting display.

So I think I have renamed a video track and released the problems. But I don’t know exactly.

Otherwise I have problems to understand what you mean and I try to translate your explanations.

Here for your memory:

In the video project Nobilis I have the problems to delete and close the gaps because I probably made some mistakes by renaming some tracks. In this project I´ve already invested much time by cutting film clips. Thereby I used the advertised scissors, marked the concerning part of the clip and pushed the delete button. With a right mouse click I marked the gap by using the pop up window with the content “Delete and close the gap”. This procedure is much more extensive than the automatically close of the gap by using the delete button.

In the new video project the cutting procedure is passing without problems (screenshot new project).This file contains the same film clips as in project Nobilis but uncut.

So my idea:

Can I copy the content of project Nobilis into the new project and rename it afterwards?

New Project 1.jpg

• 16. Re: Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?
                                      Don Knobi Level 1

Dear ATR,

Thank you for your patient explanations to help me and find out the problem I have.

The fact is:

The video clips in project “Nobilis” (1st screenshot) are lying on track “Video 1”, the belonging audio tracks are lying on “Audio 2” Behind Audio 2 is Video 2, then Audio 1, then Speech, then Sounds.

The sequence in project new (where all is ok) is:

Audio 6

Video 3

Audio 3

Video 2

Audio 2

Video 1

Audio 1

Speech

Sounds

I have probable deleted one video track to move up my film files under the cutting display.

So I think I have renamed a video track and released the problems. But I don’t know exactly.

Otherwise I have problems to understand what you mean and I try to translate your explanations.

Here for your memory:

In the video project Nobilis I have the problems to delete and close the gaps because I probably made some mistakes by renaming some tracks. In this project I´ve already invested much time by cutting film clips. Thereby I used the advertised scissors, marked the concerning part of the clip and pushed the delete button. With a right mouse click I marked the gap by using the pop up window with the content “Delete and close the gap”. This procedure is much more extensive than the automatically close of the gap by using the delete button.

In the new video project the cutting procedure is passing without problems (screenshot new project).This file contains the same film clips as in project Nobilis but uncut.

So my idea:

Can I copy the content of project Nobilis into the new project and rename it afterwards?

New Project 1.jpg

• 17. Re: Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Don Knobi

Thanks for the replies. I think that I have a simple and effective answer to your situation so that

a. you do not lose any of the work seen in the screenshot in post 13

and

b. you do not have to do any copying and pasting within the project or from one project to another.

Please refer to the screenshot in post 13.

Video track 1 and Audio track 1 cannot be deleted but they can be renamed. So, I am guessing that what you are showing as Video 2

in your screenshot is the real Video 1.

a. Go to the upper track where you have the "Delete and Close Gap Issue" problem.

b. In order to select all of that video audio content there, with the mouse cursor draw a rectangle around that video and audio tracks content . (When the selection is made, you can move all that content as one.)

c. With the mouse cursor click anywhere in the selection and drag that selected content down to that Video 2 Audio 1 which is probably Video 1 renamed and your Audio 1.

d. Delete and Close Gap should now be available for you for that content which is now in reality on Video 1 Audio 1.

Please let us know if that worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 18. Re: Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?
                                          Don Knobi Level 1

Dear ATR,

thank you so much for your help. Now it´s all ok.

Best regards and a woderful weekend.

Tobias Oertel (donknobi)

Gesendet: Freitag, 13. Juni 2014 18:02

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6456452#6456452>

• 19. Re: Warum schließt sich die Lücke beim Löschen eines Clipteils nicht automatisch im Experten-Modus?
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Tobias Oertel (donknobi)

I am so very pleased with your good news. Thank you for staying with the troubleshooting.

And, special thanks for the follow ups which will help others in similar situations.

Great job in sorting through your details to find what worked for you. Continued success.

ATR