iMac

OS X 10.9.3

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7

CUDA 6.0.46

GPU 8.26.21

---------

I see on the OS X graphics card list the GeForce GTX, but not specifically the 780M. Is that my problem? If so, how can this be? It's newer than other cards on that list, so AE should support my card.

If that IS the problem, what are my options?

• 1. Re: Cannot get AE CC to recognize CUDA driver
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Get a different card.

• 2. Re: Cannot get AE CC to recognize CUDA driver
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your actual problem? If you are hoping to use that card to accelerate rendering with the ray-traced renderer, DON'T! The ray-traced renderer is obsolete! Cinema 4D (which comes free with AE CC) is faster and more powerful way to get 3d in AE. More info here: details of CINEMA 4D integration with After Effects CC (12.0)

Besides the obsolete ray-traced renderer, AE doesn't really use the GPU. More details here: GPU (CUDA, OpenGL) features in After Effects

• 3. Re: Cannot get AE CC to recognize CUDA driver
              praguian Level 1

Sadly, it may be awhile before my corporation upgrades to CC. They aren't happy with Adobe's new licensing model.

That's good to know about the GPU not really being vital in CS6 though...I thought I was doing a good thing by maxing out my graphics card.

Aside from the GPU issue, is my setup described above pretty decent for AE / Premiere work? I'm going to upgrade to 32 GB RAM as well (8x4).

• 4. Re: Cannot get AE CC to recognize CUDA driver

I'm confused, your post and the title of this thread is referring to AE CC...

More RAM will make a big difference. Another thing that would help is having a solid state drive for AE to use for its cache.

• 5. Re: Cannot get AE CC to recognize CUDA driver
                  praguian Level 1

Szalam wrote:

I'm confused, your post and the title of this thread is referring to AE CC...

More RAM will make a big difference. Another thing that would help is having a solid state drive for AE to use for its cache.

Sorry, that is confusing! (I downloaded the trial version of CC. I'll edit the thread title to be more ambiguous. Nevermind, won't let me edit the original post.)

And I do have a LaCie Thunderbolt SSD to use for my disk cache. Yay.

Thanks again!

• 6. Re: Cannot get AE CC to recognize CUDA driver

If you guys plan to use the ray-traced renderer, an approved graphics card will help a lot.

The pros and cons of the Creative Cloud model are for another post. I have mixed feelings about it as well, but the results so far (in that the focus of the Adobe developing team is now on making a more productive program vs. adding whizz-bang, but useless features [such as the ray-traced renderer] and the much-more-rapid deployment of significant updates) have swung me in a more positive direction. Plus, I always have my old copy of the software in case I do decide to stop "renting". Anyway, like I said, that's a discussion for a different forum.

Even without C4D in CC, I would rather use Element 3d from Video Copilot, ShapeShifter from Mettle, or 3d Invigorator from Zaxwerks than the ray-traced renderer anyway.

• 7. Re: Cannot get AE CC to recognize CUDA driver
                      praguian Level 1

Szalam wrote:

Even without C4D in CC, I would rather use Element 3d from Video Copilot, ShapeShifter from Mettle, or 3d Invigorator from Zaxwerks than the ray-traced renderer anyway.

...All of which cost money.

• 8. Re: Cannot get AE CC to recognize CUDA driver

rhannebaum wrote:

Szalam wrote:

...All of which cost money.

Haha. True.

Tons of options:

• Upgrade to CC (best choice)
                        • Get an approved graphics card
                        • "Hack" the approved graphics card file so that AE uses your current card
                        • Wait for the long ray-traced renders on the CPU
                        • Get a plugin (second-best choice)
                        • Use the old methods for creating 3D extruded text
                        • Decide on a different design that doesn't use 3d at all
                        • 9. Re: Cannot get AE CC to recognize CUDA driver
                          praguian Level 1

Szalam wrote:

Tons of options:

• Upgrade to CC (best choice)

Eventually.

• Get an approved graphics card

Not likely since I just got this one.

Go on.......

This is my current modus operandi.

• 10. Re: Cannot get AE CC to recognize CUDA driver
                            praguian Level 1

Hey @Todd_Kopriva, when will my graphics card mentioned above be added to the whitelist?

• 11. Re: Cannot get AE CC to recognize CUDA driver

rhannebaum wrote:

Szalam wrote:

Go on.......

There are tons of threads here and pages about it on the internet that will walk you through it. Basically, find the approved card list, copy it (so that if you screw something up, you have a backup), add your card to the original list, save it, re-launch AE, test to see if it renders the ray-traced stuff faster.

And to give what answer I can to your question to Todd, the Adobe team considers the ray-traced renderer to be obsolete. They are unlikely to devote any time to testing and adding cards to a whitelist for an obsolete, barely-used effect.

Excitingly, Todd has mentioned that nearly the entire AE team is focused on reworking AE's code to make it perform much, much faster in the next version. (Not the one they're releasing this month though )

• 12. Re: Cannot get AE CC to recognize CUDA driver
                                praguian Level 1

Szalam wrote:

rhannebaum wrote:

Szalam wrote:

Go on.......

There are tons of threads here and pages about it on the internet that will walk you through it. Basically, find the approved card list, copy it (so that if you screw something up, you have a backup), add your card to the original list, save it, re-launch AE, test to see if it renders the ray-traced stuff faster.

And to give what answer I can to your question to Todd, the Adobe team considers the ray-traced renderer to be obsolete. They are unlikely to devote any time to testing and adding cards to a whitelist for an obsolete, barely-used effect.

Excitingly, Todd has mentioned that nearly the entire AE team is focused on reworking AE's code to make it perform much, much faster in the next version. (Not the one they're releasing this month though )

Thanks Sz. That's an awfully quick trigger to deprecate a feature that only appeared in the last version of the app. But I can appreciate the reasoning behind it, and certainly look forward to reaping the benefits when my corporation deems it worthy.