8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2014 8:57 AM by A.T. Romano

premiere elements 10 just started crashing cannot even create a new project

aliciarcc

Premiere Elements 10 (mac) all of a sudden will not do anything but open and then crash. It doesn't matter if I open an existing project or even start a new one. As soon as you name your new project and hit save it crashes. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program and the same thing is happening.

• 1. Re: premiere elements 10 just started crashing cannot even create a new project
          A.T. Romano Level 7

aliciarcc

How did you uninstall reinstall Premiere Elements 10 on Mac? Did you use the install routine as cited in the following Adobe document?

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/updated-installation-instructions-premiere-ele ments.html

How long has the program worked for you before this issue suddenly appeared?

Have you checked the Scratch Disks locations and amount of free hard drive space there? Have you looked for pile ups in the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Folder as well as in the Media Cache Database Folder?

Is the video card/graphics card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card/graphics card?

Have you assured that your permissions and Administrative Privileges are still active?

Does the issue exist with or without media imported into the program? From your description, the answer appears to be yes. But, please confirm.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: premiere elements 10 just started crashing cannot even create a new project
            aliciarcc Level 1

Thanks for getting back to me. I uninstalled by using the adobe uninstaller withing the Premiere applications folder.

I used my original discs to reinstall but it snagged so I had to use the “fix” that is listed in the thread you provided above but I still have the same issue.

When it opens “Preferences” is grayed out so I cannot get to the info on the scratch disk.

It has worked perfectly since installing it since we bought it a few years back. Just this week it started having this problem and yes it is if I open a current project or start a new one.

Here is the error message that pops up after it shuts down:

• 3. Re: premiere elements 10 just started crashing cannot even create a new project
              aliciarcc Level 1

sorry here is part of the error message I receive:

Process:         Adobe Premiere Elements [6440]

Path:            /Applications/Adobe Premiere Elements 10/Adobe Premiere Elements.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Premiere Elements

Identifier:      com.adobe.Adobe Premiere Elements.framework

Version:         20110902.B343.280460 (10.0)

Code Type:       X86 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [149]

Responsible:     Adobe Premiere Elements [6440]

User ID:         501

Date/Time:       2014-06-04 08:57:13.351 -0500

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)

Report Version:  11

Anonymous UUID:  9A426724-4C16-67DC-6280-43B891E68ADD

Sleep/Wake UUID: CCE08E97-F54C-46BB-A93D-1B47727FC33A

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:

*** __CFTypeCollectionRetain() called with NULL; likely a collection has been corrupted ***

• 4. Re: premiere elements 10 just started crashing cannot even create a new project
                A.T. Romano Level 7

aliciarcc

This is what I would like you to consider

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, so I am going to need your assistance in matching up Windows and counterpart Mac features.

Hoping to meet you on a common ground between Premiere Elements 10 Windows and Mac.

1. Uninstall the program. (In Windows, the classical route is through the Control Panel/Installed Programs). Whatever is the prescribed way of uninstalling an application on Mac, then please do that.

2. Now here is the part that I am hoping will gain us success in the troubleshooting. I would like you to do a ccleaner run through. The Mac version of ccleaner can be found

CCleaner for Mac OS X

This should get rid of any leftovers from incomplete uninstalls and reinstalls.

3. Then reinstall the program, according to the Adobe document describing the how to for Premiere Elements 10 Mac.

Can you now open Premiere Elements 10 Mac? Can you get at the Edit Menu/Preferences?

If not, then try to find and delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. I believe it should be location on your Mac

computer

Users

User Name

Library

Application Support

Adobe

Premiere Elements

Version #

and in that Version # Folder should be the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

Have you looked at your issues with and without the antivirus program disabled?

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...are you installing Premiere Elements 10 to default locations?

• 5. Re: premiere elements 10 just started crashing cannot even create a new project
                  aliciarcc Level 1

Thanks again for the quick response. I have done everything that you mentioned already before making this thread

• 6. Re: premiere elements 10 just started crashing cannot even create a new project
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

aliciarcc

Thanks for the reply. Sorry that the troubleshooting has not resolved the Premiere Elements 10 Mac crashes as you try to start a new project.

Are you installing Premiere Elements 10 Mac from purchased download from Adobe or from an installation disc? The project.prel file in the new project dialog is saved to the location designated in the new project dialog. Where is the project.prel saved to and how much free space is there? The project.prel file is a small file so I do not suspect that this is an issue but this is a just in case question.

Have you considered looking at a difference source of installation files? To do that, you could download tryout for Premiere Elements 10 Mac from the following web site and then try to work with it first as the tryout. Then, if that works, you could insert your purchased serial number into the tryout to make it your working copy.

Photoshop Elements 10 Direct Download Links: Free Trials, Premiere | ProDesignTools

The web site does not sell the tryout. It only makes it available. In order for this route to work, you need to read very carefully the "Note: Very Important Instructions" there to avoid getting an Access Denied Message.

Please let us know if any of the above works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: premiere elements 10 just started crashing cannot even create a new project
                      aliciarcc Level 1

I have the installation disks and yes I have tried to install it from a fix.dmg file also and still have the same problem. I just don't understand what happened there had been no update or anything to trigger this that I can find. It just all of a sudden will not do anything but open up and then if you try to open a project it shuts completely down or if you try to do a new project it asks you to name it and when you hit save it closes down. I don't know what to do I have work piling up that I need to get done and now am close to 2 weeks behind.

• 8. Re: premiere elements 10 just started crashing cannot even create a new project
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

aliciarcc

At this point I can only exchange troubleshooting ideas at the level of common ground between Premiere Elements Windows and Mac. As said, I am strictly an Elements Windows user. Keeping that in mind...

What is your computer antivirus program? Do you have an automatic antivirus updating in effect? If so, it might be possible that a recent antivirus update could have thrown the program into its present state. If this looks like a viable idea, what are the results with and without the antivirus enabled?

Have we gone through the drill of the Premiere Elements Scratch Files (Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Files) and having them all directed to the same hard drive space with lots of free hard drive space to accept them?

I would refer you to Adobe via its Adobe Chat where the possibility of remote computer troubleshooting might be an option. But I do not believe that Adobe troubleshoots anything but the latest version. But you could try under the topic of Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up. Click on the link below and, when it opens, click on the statement "Still Need Help? Contact us." to bring up the Adobe Chat to discuss the topic Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up.

Contact Customer Care

More later.

Thanks for the updates, hoping for a breakthrough in the troubleshooting

ATR