5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2014 3:22 PM by Dov Isaacs

file compatibility

krismich16

are files created in windows compatible with those created using a mac?

• 1. Re: file compatibility
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Yes.The only possible issue is fonts. Stick to OpenType.

• 2. Re: file compatibility
            krismich16 Level 1

Thanks so much! My family is trying to convince me to switch to a Mac. My biggest concern was compatibility because I have a card design business and ALL of my files are in InDesign.

• 3. Re: file compatibility
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you have a subscription to CC you can install the Mac versions of your Adobe programs, but don't forget to factor in the cost of replacing any other software you use if you switch platforms. Hardware could be the least expensive part of a change.

• 4. Re: file compatibility
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Whether you switch or not is completely up to you. I use both and personally prefer Windows which has been trouble free for me.

Don’t buy into the hype that a Mac is perfect. Plenty of issues get reported here by Mac users. Both platforms have strengths and weaknesses.

• 5. Re: file compatibility
                  Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

On behalf of Adobe, I'll most strongly endorse Peter and Bob's responses.

Adobe software is designed for maximum cross-platform compatibility.

And “issues” associated with both hardware and software are as rampant on the Macintosh as they are on Windows systems and even more so in terms of incompatibilities between different MacOS releases. (Forward compatibility of existing application versions is not a particularly important goal for Apple in terms of ongoing MacOS development!)

Thus, if you want to switch to a Macintosh because you think its pretty, it makes you feel better, or because it will give more esteem in the eyes of your family, friends, and pets, please be our guest. But in terms of usability with Adobe applications and even publishing workflow in general, there is no particular technical advantage that you will likely achieve.

And yes, fonts will be the biggest cross-platform issue, although all Type 1, TrueType, and OpenType fonts usable by Adobe applications under Windows can also be used by the same applications under MacOS, Macintosh Type 1, Macintosh TrueType, and Macintosh .dfonts cannot be used by any applications under Windows. Sticking to OpenType fonts is best for not only cross-platform collaboration, but “future-proofing” your workflow as much as possible.

- Dov