3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2014 10:45 PM by Laubender

How to show if linked item used more than once in layout?

mlondon88 Level 1

Using InDesign CS6

I know the Links panel is supposed to indicate if a linked item has been used more than once by grouping the two placements together.

However I'd like to know if there is a way to indicate this in the layout itself? I see that the Link Badge shows if a linked item is missing or modified, but not if has been used more than once.

Also, for some reason the Link panel does NOT always group items together correctly, even though I'm 100% sure it is used more than once in my layout.

Suggestions? Thank you!

• 1. Re: How to show if linked item used more than once in layout?
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

mlondon88 wrote:

Also, for some reason the Link panel does NOT always group items together correctly, even though I'm 100% sure it is used more than once in my layout.

Hm. Could it be, that the file with the same name was stored in two different locations?
          Then the grouping must not take place.

However I'd like to know if there is a way to indicate this in the layout itself? I see that the Link Badge shows if a linked item is missing or modified, but not if has been used more than once.

No. At least it cannot be indicated at the image container.

Why is this feature important to you?

Uwe

• 2. Re: How to show if linked item used more than once in layout?
            mlondon88 Level 1

Hi Uwe,

Thanks for your reply.

Still not sure why items not being grouped. They are coming from the same location. Behaviour is inconsistent. Sometimes grouped, sometimes not....

Regarding the indiction on the layout itself, I'm layout out a book with many hundreds of images and it would be helpful to see at a glance if an image is already being used elsewhere.

Thanks again,

Matthew

• 3. Re: How to show if linked item used more than once in layout?
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Matthew – are you really sure about the location?
              Did you check the links and their paths in the Links Panel?

Maybe, it's good showing an example here posting a screenshot* with showing the link information.

Otherwise: maybe a script can help. A panel that is going through all paths of all linked images hunting for double entries and showing them.

To make it automatically update every time a link is added or removed seems doable. However, such a listening mechanism could degrade overall performance a bit (or even more depending on the amount of linked images).

Uwe

*using the camera icon in the forum software