4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2014 4:50 PM by tm6550

Efficient, repetitive insertion of anchored objects

tm6550

I'm using InDesign 5.5 on a Mac running OS 10.8.5 if that has anything to do with this issue. My proficiency with Id is relatively low, but I've learned how to format books and have published three of my own, am trying to finish up a fourth, and have done another for a writer friend. Here's the problem I cannot seem to solve:

At the start of every chapter I have the heading defined in a style, then a chapter graphic style, then the first paragraph of the main body in another style. I have some notes from the last time I did this a couple of years ago, and they indicate that I found a work flow that allowed me to:

1. With a chapter graphic positioned exactly where I want, copy it. What I expected to happen this time based on my previous experience was for this to copy not only the graphic, but the anchored position information as well.

2. Place the insertion point to the right of the next chapter heading and hit return.

3. With the chapter graphic set as the next style, the insertion point is now sitting where I want the graphic.

4. Paste the graphic and it's positioned where I want it.

5. Repeat this for each chapter without too much trouble.

But this time, two things happen that I'd like to avoid: 1) The graphic inserts with the right edge of the bounding box lined up with the centered insertion point, and 2) the text in the first paragraph is shoved down the page. I think what's happening is that the chapter graphic style is displaced so it's like I hit a return with that style active and I get two of them rather than the one I want.

I've been able to anchor the graphics by clicking on them with the Selection tool, then option clicking on the anchor to bring up the anchored object window, which never shows above or below line. I select that, have to change from left to center, then adjust the below spacing to get the distance I want between the bottom of the graphic and the first line of text, then change the extra chapter graphic style below the graphic to the main body style, and reposition the first paragraph where it needs to start.

Needless to say, this is going to get very old doing all that for 34 chapters, then repeat the process for a smaller graphic I'm using at every scene break, and there's a lot more of those.

I hope I've described this so that it makes sense, and I'd appreciate knowing how to solve it. Thank in advance,

Tosh

P.S. Hello Peter!

• 1. Re: Efficient, repetitive insertion of anchored objects
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I did not understand everything like

3. With the chapter graphic set as the next style, the insertion point is now sitting where I want the graphic.

…, then adjust the below spacing to get the distance I want between the bottom of the graphic and the first line of text, then change the extra chapter graphic style below the graphic to the main body style, and reposition the first paragraph where it needs to start.

Is chapter graphic a paragraph style? Why do you need it?

Did you set up an Object Style for your graphic, you can specify its exact anchored frame position herein.

A screen shot would be helpful.

• 2. Re: Efficient, repetitive insertion of anchored objects
            tm6550 Level 1

Thank you for the reply. I've taken 5 screenshots to illustrate what's happening:

#1 is shows the text insertion point in the chapter graphic style between the chapter heading and the first paragraph:

Screenshot1.jpg

#2 is the result of pasting in the graphic: What I've been able to do before (at least that's what my notes day) is to have the graphic centered on the insertion point. But you can see how the insertion point has shifted to the left, and the right edge of the graphic is lined up with it.

Screenshot2.jpg

#3 shows application of the object style. This is a step I hadn't been doing before, and it definitely saves time not having to use the options window to set above line/center/and above values.

Screenshot3.jpg

#4 illustrates the extra spacing between the graphic and the first paragraph because the insertion point is in the chapter graphic style, not the style for the first paragraph. Especially confusing is that the chapter graphic style is centered, and the insertion point is justified left

Screenshot4.jpg

#5 shows the application of the first paragraph style to the location of the insertion point.

Screenshot5.jpg

This is the result I'm looking for, and as mentioned earlier, I remember having a workflow that allowed me to paste the graphic into the centered paragraph style and that's where it stayed.

I can do this longer workflow and get what I want, but it's labor intensive and there has to be a better way.

Tosh

• 3. Re: Efficient, repetitive insertion of anchored objects
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

There are several ways to do it:

1. As you do, insert it into the paragraph (with a paragraph style where the leading is set to auto or larger than the graphic frame) directly, set the alignment of the paragraph to centered. It is an inline anchored frame.  For the graphic use an object style, there make the text wrapping so, that the distance below and above is as you want it.
              2. Put your curser at the beginning (or somewhere else) in your headline. Insert the graphic from the clipboard (or drag the small diamant there to anchor it), and apply a before prepared object style. This object style defines how is it anchored vertical and in landscape, distances, text wrapping, …
              • 4. Re: Efficient, repetitive insertion of anchored objects
                tm6550 Level 1

Thank you so much.

Just for a little feedback, I was not able to get the object style to work very well, and that's only because of my unfamiliarity with it. I stopped trying when I managed to get the paragraph style to work. There are a total of 124 chapter and scene graphics in the book, and once I had placed a few, it felt like an assembly line.

The workflow I used is essentially the same as before, but in retrospect, I think the shifting of position might have been due to not leaving enough space before and after in the style to accept the graphic. Once I did that, and got a graphic centered and adjusted the space before and after, copying it did carry the anchored object positioning to the new location.

I really appreciate the help.

Tosh