16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2014 9:52 AM by jjaylad

unable to drag or delete guides in PS CC

jjaylad Level 1

Really getting ticked with all the bugs in CC!

Trying to design a book and the guides I make won't move or delete. My ruler is in inches and guides always move slightly off the marks I try to align them to so I try to move them and can't, I can't drag them back to the ruler so that isn't an option so all I can do it go to the menu and delete them.

What is up with this? I see posts on this but from back in early 2013 and it still isn't fixed? Is nobody at Adobe reading this forum ...or don't they give a rip?

• 1. Re: unable to drag or delete guides in PS CC
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

i don't see a problem.

do you have any snapping options enabled?

did you use the magnifier to give you greater control of guide placement?

• 2. Re: unable to drag or delete guides in PS CC
            jjaylad Level 1

Yes, I had snap turned on . I rebooted and now if I use  the move tool the

guides will move.

I don't recall having to use that previously..

Thanks for the help. I am replying from my email and it is taking up to 3

or 4 seconds for each letter I type to show up. (on an Andriod  tablet. Is

it sending the letters to the forum one chracter at a time?

• 3. Re: unable to drag or delete guides in PS CC

you're welcome.

the forum is responsive for me (this wednesday morning pst).

p.s. please mark helpful/correct responses, if there are any.

• 4. Re: unable to drag or delete guides in PS CC
                Amy Blankenship Level 4

If you double-click on the guides, can you set them exactly?

• 5. Re: unable to drag or delete guides in PS CC
                  jjaylad Level 1

Thanks for assisting Amy. If I have the pointer active double clicking the guides does nothing.

If I have the move tool active I get the little <-II-> and can move them

If I have the move tool active and I double-click the guides a preferences dialogue opens

• 6. Re: unable to drag or delete guides in PS CC
                    Amy Blankenship Level 4

I didn't know Flash had a move tool. Learn something new ever day. What's it for?

• 7. Re: unable to drag or delete guides in PS CC
                      AdeptDigital Level 2

jjaylad,

I have beaten my head against the desk many times over this very thing, getting the guides to land exactly where you want can be daunting. I am not sure when but at some point the programmers of Photoshop added the ability to numerically add guides to the page. I have since programmed my Quick Key shortcuts to include the add guide function so I can manually enter in the coordinate I want the guide to populate. This way I am absolutely positive that the guide will go where I want it to.

Funny thing, I think Photshop is the only Adobe program that has this very useful function. Since the release of the Creative Cloud the idea is that Adobe is helping designers collaborate to create better projects. Since the different programmers at Adobe fail at collaborating on even the most simplistic tool settings I can only point and laugh at the masters of Adobe for being so ironic in their egomania and arrogance. Like they already have everything figured out and seek to gift us lower life forms with their grace when offering these programs yet they don't look under the hood at the functions within their own suite of tools. If they were not a mutli-billion dollar company that has a strangle hold on the graphic design industry it seems they would collapse under their own self importance and unwillingness to consider their own hubris.

And in response to your original question, no I don't think Adobe listens to anyone outside their bubble nor reads this forum. I have tried telling them that they need to improve these functions (of which there are dozens) and each time they scoff as if my input is irrelevant. Once you learn how to use Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver and Flash you realize that the programmers at Adobe are all in separate sand boxes and they don't play well with each other. Again, seems painfully ironic since the goal of Creative Cloud is to help designers and programmers collaborate, perhaps one day Adobe will consider that for itself, once its done looking at itself in the mirror with loving admiration.

• 8. Re: unable to drag or delete guides in PS CC

"..getting the guides to land exactly where you want can be daunting."

again, use the magnifier to easily set guides on exact pixels.  it's not difficult to set on exactly the pixel you want when magnified to max of 2000%.

however, i agree: having a numeric input for guides would be even better.

• 9. Re: unable to drag or delete guides in PS CC
                          AdeptDigital Level 2

Lets look at this from a working perspective. If Adobe wants to facilitate the actual users of its programs, then understanding the mouse clicks versus keystrokes is important. I for one measure my entire work day on the number of keystrokes versus mouse clicks I have to do to complete a task. The fewer the better.

When I am converting a design I draw in Photoshop at 1600px for a proposed website into a design for a tablet device at 800px, I need to readjust the guides for the new image size. I need to get these done quickly and I need them to be pixel perfect accurate. Am I going to have to zoom into the image, then grab the guide from the ruler, then zoom out, for each one? No, I am going to program a keystroke to bring up the Add Guide box and enter the number I know it needs to be at. Now if we can get the children in the Photoshop programmer's sandbox to share this with the children in the Illustrator programmer's sandbox as well as InDesign, Flash, and Aftereffects, then we would have some intelligent programming. Now it looks like they are all selfishly guarding their tools and will not share.

Now if the programmers really listened to the developers and designers they would create a method of saving presets for the positions of the guides so that when you move from one size drawing for a website to a smaller size, all you need to do is switch to the next guide preset and they are already positioned for you. At least with Illustrator you can copy the guides from another file and paste them in place to eliminate some of the tedious nature of the work, but thus far no other program Adobe makes has that functionality. Again, children in the sandbox.

I used to waste time with the magnification method, and still do in other programs, but at the end of the day if Adobe is not going to work to make these tools better for designers in real world ways then they need to give the clarinet to a kid that will actually use it, rather than hoarding it all to themselves. I personally don't think corporations are people, I reject the legal argument on this, but Adobe is doing a good job at displaying some of the lesser qualities of humanity, namely narcissistic hubris.

• 10. Re: unable to drag or delete guides in PS CC
                            jjaylad Level 1

Hi all. Really appreciate the way everyone around here pitched in to help and so I have to share this with you too.

I went surfing to find more about guides and ran into a PS extension called guideguide.

I tried posting a link to it here but my post was moderator-rejected so I assume I shouldn't post links. I seemed to remember that and had even kind of written it out just in case but since the whole post was rejected I guess that wasn't a good idea either.

In any event it is a free extension for CS5+ and after installation provides a little dialogue that allows you to set guides numerically and even save sets of them in the app and apply multiple sets. It solved my problem nicely so I just wanted to pass it along. Unfortunately you'll need to search for it ...but at least now you have the name.

Hope this post gets through and thanks again for trying to help!

• 11. Re: unable to drag or delete guides in PS CC

your link (Cameron McEfee), while not spam/should have been allowed, is for a photoshop extension.   this discussion is about flash pro.

• 12. Re: unable to drag or delete guides in PS CC
                                jjaylad Level 1

oops ...not sure how I ended up in a Flash discussion ...I don't even have it. I guess it was because I searched for 'guides' and didn't realize where I landed. Oh well ...been interesting.

• 13. Re: unable to drag or delete guides in PS CC

no problem.  and that could be a useful link for users of older ps versions, so thank you for that.

• 14. Re: unable to drag or delete guides in PS CC
                                    jjaylad Level 1

Older? I'm on CC and was having 'guide' issues. But then again ...I'm older so maybe it just "older versions of ps users'

• 15. Re: unable to drag or delete guides in PS CC

i have limited ps skills/knowledge so i was using adeptdigital's comment #7, "I am not sure when but at some point the programmers of Photoshop added the ability to numerically add guides to the page"

• 16. Re: unable to drag or delete guides in PS CC
                                        jjaylad Level 1

Yes ...I learned that in surfing 'guides' and it is helpful,however that little app makes the whole process much easier and the ability to save sets of them is really nice.