6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2014 4:08 AM by Willi Adelberger

Error exporting from inDesign

Zs Level 1

I have quite a large inDesign document which I need to export into a pdf. I had exported along the way several times, with no problem, when all of a sudden the infamous "Error in exporting to pdf" message appeared.

Of course, Google and the Adobe Forum was my first stop and there are several articles about the possible errors in layers, grouped objects, images that overlap onto pages. I followed the advice and tried to identify which page(s) of the document might be corrupt, and they are all fine, I can export them individually no problem.

The only think I can think of is that I had linked in quite a few large images into the document and there seems to be a limit on the memory it can use up when exporting? Is this possible? And most importantly, what is the solution??

Thanks

• 1. Re: Error exporting from inDesign
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You should give us more information:

1. Version of ID, build number
          2. OS
          3. Kind of images you use (file type, size, transparency, etc.)
          4. PDF settings you use to export PDFs.
          • 2. Re: Error exporting from inDesign
            Zs Level 1

More info:

Using InDesign CC 9.2 in Windows 9.

Using 300 dpi TIFF images....quite LARGE

When I am exporting, I don't downsample images, as I need them to be print quality.

Hope that helps

• 3. Re: Error exporting from inDesign

Do you use 32 or 64 bit version. 32bit can only handle 4GB and smaller.

Are the TIFFs in RGB (as recommended for InDesign) or CMYK (which is not recommended and makes them larger too)? Is transparency involved? Why TIFF and not PSD or PDF? (TIFF is not wrong, it has only a terrible preview in InDesign compared to PSD and PDF.)

The other settings are also important.

• 4. Re: Error exporting from inDesign
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Zs wrote:

I followed the advice and tried to identify which page(s) of the document might be corrupt, and they are all fine, I can export them individually no problem.

This generally means a system resources problem. You can try restarting ID and run the export first thing, or export in chunks (half at a time, perhaps) and combine the results in Acrobat.

• 5. Re: Error exporting from inDesign
                  Zs Level 1

I use the 64bit version

We use TIFFs as we need image files, not all of the team have Photoshop and they all need to be able to sort through the images.

The images are CMYK, as we need them to be print ready and I read somewhere that it was better to convert images in Photoshop to CMYK before placing into an inDesign document, rather than having inDesign convert them at the end....

• 6. Re: Error exporting from inDesign

That is nonsense, InDesign converts images with the same quality as Photoshop does. Using RGB images in InDesign is high recommended as it gives you more flexibility.

If someone needs to review images without having Photoshop you could use PDF, it will show even a better representation of an image, because the most TIFF viewer cannot support color management and will so show wrong colors.