8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2014 8:18 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 9 no sound

TedPalmer

I used to be able to use Adobe Premiere Elements 9 on this computer to edit my videos in WMV format. Now when I try to render me project edits into a WMV output file, the output file has no sound. Experimenting with another product, I discovered that product would not play back a MPG file because it could not handle HD Dolby sound. The video played back fine, but there was no sound. It has been 3 years since I used elements v9. So it occurred that there may have been an advancement in HD Dolby the elements 9 originally was not designed with that capability in mind. Actually, when I try to play beck the rendered WMV file, there is sound but it is terrible noise. What is the cure for this because I have been looking for a long time without good results.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Ted Palmer

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 no sound
          Jim_Simon Level 8

[Moved to Elements forum.]

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 no sound
            A.T. Romano Level 7

TedPalmer

Are you working from the Premiere Elements 9.0.1 Update? And what computer operating system is involved?

What are the properties of these source wmv files and what project preset are you setting to match those video properties?

If your export is Share/Computer/Windows Media, what is your export preset and what are the Export Settings for the Video Tab and Audio Tab under the Advanced Button of the preset?

More later.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 no sound
              TedPalmer Level 1

A.T.Romanl,

Thank you for you response.

Every attempt I made to apply updates to my Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0 Ninja yielded the same result. I kept getting the attached error message.

AdobeApplicationManager_SomeUpdatesFailedToInstall.jpg

My operating system for this computer is Windows-7.

>> What are the properties of these source wmv files and what project preset are you setting to match those video properties?

If I right click the WMV file name (there is only one), the property window that opens has 4 tabs on it. The "Details" tab has a ton of attribute value pairs on it. It seems like it would take the rest of my life to make screen shots of it all. Are there some specific ones that would be most helpful?

>> If your export is Share/Computer/Windows Media, what is your export preset and what are the Export Settings for the Video Tab and Audio Tab under the Advanced Button of the preset?

A screenshot of my AdvancedPresetsExportSettings is attached below:

AdvancedPresetsExportSettings.jpg

I hope this response will help move this solution along, and much thanks for your help.

Ted Palmer

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 no sound
                A.T. Romano Level 7

TedPalmer

Thanks for the reply. A lot sent up flares. Let us see if any of my concerns are related to the problem presented.

9.0.1 Update.

Instead of Help Menu/Update in the opened project to get at the 9.0.1 Update download, please close the

program, and click on the following link to download and install the Premiere Elements 9.0.1 Update.

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

You can do all that with the program closed.

Export Settings

You appear to have a 720 x 480 4:3 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second exporting to a 1280 x 720 16:9 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second. For the sake of troubleshooting, please do the following export instead and then let us know the video and audio outcome of the export.

Computer

Windows Media

with Presets = Cable Modem

then under the Advanced Button Video Tab and Audio Tab have the export settings as detailed in the following screenshots.

Under VIdeo Tab

PE9Video.JPG

Under Audio Tab

Audio.JPG

If any blurry screenshots, please click on the screenshot to bring up a clearer view.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 no sound
                  TedPalmer Level 1

ATR,

Sorry I haven't tried what you asked yet. Sometimes I get faulted by my family for spending too much time playing with my computer toys. This weekend was one of those times. I am confident I will get this done today.

Much thanks for your help.

Ted Palmer

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 no sound
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Ted Palmer

Thanks for the reply.

I know what you mean about "computer time and toys". Often I come to the computer for a few minutes in the morning and, after a few challenging questions and ideas, it is midnight before I know it. Then it is major catch up time on everything else.

We will be watching for your results when you have the time.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 no sound
                      TedPalmer Level 1

ATR,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I bypassed the problem. A local office supply store where I shop had  Premiere Elements 12 marked down from $149.99 to $119.99. With a $20 off coupon that got the cost down to $99.99. I am not a masochist. If I can save myself time and suffering for $100 dollars, I'm going to do it. So that is what I did. I bought Premiere Elements 12 with Photoshop Elements 12 for $99.99, and it works just fine. Problem solved.

Thank you for your help.

Ted Palmer

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9 no sound
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Ted Palmer

Thank for the follow up with the news that Premiere Elements 12 is working for you where Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 was not.

However, based on what we have discussed, keep in mind that the same principles for source media, project set up, editing, and export remain the same in spite of the marked change in workspace layout going from version 9 to version 12.

There is a 12.1 Update for 12 which is obtained from the opened project's Help Menu/Update. Of special note, if you are interested in Text and Styles, this update will correct a problem in 12 with Text and Styles in the Expert workspace.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR